Building the Green Machine book

Hello all,

Hope your Thanksgivings were happy. Drum corps 2008 is only six months or so away!

But maybe I have a way of bringing it to you sooner. The release of my book, Building the Green Machine is just FOUR days away. You can find out the basics below in my reply post, or visit www.cavaliersbook.com for excerpts, photos, music, outtakes and other goodies. That's the official stuff, and it's all fun and nifty.

But what I want to say to the dedicated folks on this forum is this: I wrote this book to show the world how passionate, how hard-working, how talented and souful and FUN drum corps people are. I wrote it because I once drop-kicked my trumpet to marching band infamy as a member of the Dover (Ohio) Marching Tornadoes from 1990-94. There was nothing more grueling than an eight-hour rehearsal in the July and August heat; and nothing more thrilling than blowing my eyeballs out the bell of my horn under the stadium lights on autumn Friday and Saturday nights.

This is why I wrote a book about all you go through to be amazing performers. I spent two years interviewing 200 members, alumni, volunteers, fans and family connected with the Cavaliers and other drum corps. Yes, the book utilizes the Cavaliers as the window through which you can view specific stories, traditions and tales. But there are NINETY-FIVE OTHER CORPS mentioned in this book, and several dozen more winter guards and high school groups. You get a sense of the whole activity, and that was very important to me.

It was a thrill to write, and even more fun now to get it out to YOU. Because I wrote it for people like us. And the book publishing world needs to know about us as an audience, so there will be more books like this, about the groups you and I go nuts for, in the future.

So there's my personal spiel. Order Building the Green Machine today at www.cavaliers.org. Among the nifty things Savas Beatie is doing as publisher is offering the book to the drum corps audience first -- as signed first editions -- months before it hits bookstores. So be among the first to own this piece of history, your heritage. Pass this message along to people like us.

And keep filling the world with music!

Cheers,

NEW BOOK OFFERS BEHIND-THE-SCENES RIDE THROUGH DRUM CORPS HISTORY

Can the Van Halen. Rack your Kid Rock. Stow your Styx. For this musical journey, we’re leaving the amplifiers with the long-haired pretty boys in spandex and taking a flying leap from the concert stage: to a football field, baking in the heat of a late June afternoon. Sixty guys spread out in a loose parabola near the 50-yard-line, lean back with horns in their hands and manufacture loud the old-fashioned way – with their lungs.

With these words, author Colt Foutz opens Building the Green Machine, which tells how a ragtag bunch of Boy Scouts from Chicago’s Logan Square grew into one of the most popular marching groups in the world, winners of 20 national and world championships.

The story of the Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps is also the biography of their charismatic leader, Don Warren. With no musical talent, Warren founded the Cavaliers as a teenager in 1948 and has led them ever since. His gift for working with people – instructors, parents, volunteers, the kids – built the Cavaliers into a musical juggernaut, “The Green Machine”. His eye for innovation led to the creation of Drum Corps International, which helped the nationwide youth activity evolve from its military roots into a new artistic era.

Hop along on the tour bus for this rags-to-riches ride. From more than 200 interviews with Cavaliers alumni, and officials, musicians and fans throughout drum corps, Foutz gives a behind-the-scenes look at the camaraderie, guts, politics, pranks and tradition that have shaped marching music over the last seven decades. Whether you’re a drum corps nut, or a newcomer, you’ll laugh, cry and cheer for Building the Green Machine.

Building the Green Machine:

Don Warren and Sixty Years with the World Champion Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps

by Colt Foutz

published by Savas Beatie

ISBN-13: 978-1-932714-39-5

ISBN-10: 1-932714-39-5

Creative Nonfiction/History

Hardcover, 480 pages

Publication: Dec. 1, 2007

$29.99