Fife Drum and Bugle Corps

Connecticut was always the hub of the fife, drum & bugle corps activity. I suspect there are still a number active there today. There is even a high school all-girl fife, drum & bugle corps in Missouri, that has been around forever.

If you look back at the history, many started disappearing in the early 1960s.

Used to be a fife, bagpipe and drum corps from Charlestown, MA. Egads, I'd rather listen to a cat getting run over by a steam roller. Not to take away from the talent - it was just not a sound I wanted to listen to. Kind of the same way I feel about sopranos in opera. SHUT UP ALREADY!! :worthy:

Used to be a fife, bagpipe and drum corps from Charlestown, MA. Egads, I'd rather listen to a cat getting run over by a steam roller. Not to take away from the talent - it was just not a sound I wanted to listen to. Kind of the same way I feel about sopranos in opera. SHUT UP ALREADY!! :worthy:

Being a piper, I can imagine how that must sound and I agree with you. Fifes (and piccolos for that matter) can be an "aural ice pick to the brain" at times. I can't see that they would blend too well with the majestic sounds of the pipes! :worthy:

In Western Pa. we had 3 Fife and Drum Corps:

Meridian Woodpeckers, All Girls

Cranberry Passajeros, co ed

Somerset Tammershanners All Girl

Meridian folded last year

Cranberry folded in the early 70's

Tammershanners: not sure of their status. Bruno