HS Marching Band fees

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, please note where you're from (be as general or as specific as you want) and how much the "fees" were at your marching band.

THANK YOU ... I'll be "using" some of this information as we discuss the future of these "fees" with our marching band program.

Our marching band had two seasons. The fall season cost students nothing and was for credit--a curricular activity. The summer competitive season was extra-curricular and cost money. We had fundraisers and the fee ran a couple hundred bucks (circa 1980) per student (with scholarships available for poor students). Our summer tour lasted three weeks or so on the road around the midwest (Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin primarily).

Were my children marching, I wouldn't blink at dropping a couple hundred bucks for a competitive season.

Edited by TAFL

I don't understand how people pay little to no money to march, even in high school.

I'm in a pretty good band here from SC, and we charge around 500 for marching, as I said earlier, and to be honest, I think that's a gift. We go to 7 or so competitions a year, and have a 2 week band camp that feeds us 3 meals a day, and it goes twords our very good instruction (we have 4 directors, and 4 extra staff members). Not to mention, part of the 500 goes twords our concert season... this year we're playing at concert festival, like always, and we've been invited to Charleston to play at the annual SCMEA convention.

The indoor percussion fee is also a gift, as far as I'm concerned... This year we have 7 competitions scheduled, and various clinics... we will also have 2 percussion directors, and another staff member teaching us this year.

I guess I'm just confused... band's not cheap here.

~>conner

This one time...at band camp...I started a marching band thread on a drum corps site!....and I got away with it!!!!

Are you seriously this concerned with this little thread? My god, man. You are giving us contra players a bad name. It isn't really worth the effort you are putting in. If people put this much energy into important things, we would have the flying car by now.

I don't charge my kids to march. They pay for their things they need, like gloves, shoes and their t-shirt. The boosters and the school pay for the rest.

Of course, we don't go to BOA or anything, just local competitions.

Edited by RegimentContra94

This one time...at band camp...I started a marching band thread on a drum corps site!....and I got away with it!!!!

Oh, I get it! It's like an American Pie reference!

that's original!

Really, I commend you for staying off topic in a thread that is off topic, as you have pointed out numerous times. Calm down, and don't click on the thread. You're not the only one on this forum.

~>conner

Oh, I get it! It's like an American Pie reference!

that's original!

Really, I commend you for staying off topic in a thread that is off topic, as you have pointed out numerous times. Calm down, and don't click on the thread. You're not the only one on this forum.

~>conner

Yeah, I should take that advice to heart and just go away for a while, maybe to marching band planet, and wait for everyone to join me for this discussion.

Edited by madcontra99

Your right, i'm a shameful, shameful contra player. How dare I call things out on this site. How wrong of me to expect people to have discussions on the appropriate forums, and to expect the mod's to do their job. I'm a real ####### tool.

hey man, at least you can admit it.

~>conner

Your right, i'm a shameful, shameful contra player. How dare I call things out on this site. How wrong of me to expect people to have discussions on the appropriate forums, and to expect the mod's to do their job. I'm a real ####### tool.

Well, I don't know you at all, so if you say so, I'll just have to believe you.

I just think there are more important things in life that somebody that dares use the MB words on a DC board. Have you ever tried to have a rational discussion on the MBP forum? It's overpopulated by people named "flutiegirl2010" that use some new form of english I'm not familiar with. There are way more band directors here.