HS Marching Band fees

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right, i'm a shameful, shameful contra player. How dare I call things out on this site. How wrong of me to expect people to have discussions on the appropriate forums, and to expect the mod's to do their job. I'm a real ####### tool.

From here, it appears the most appropriate forum to get feedback from parents of band students and band directors is this one. That the question also has relevance to drum corps is not lost on most of us reading, so we can only pity those on whom it is lost.

Also from here, it appears as if your self-description above is quite accurate. Why you continue to click on a thread about something you don't want to discuss is beyond my ken--it just doesn't seem anything a reasonable person would do. And then to repeatedly post...a single post on the matter was more than sufficient to voice your distaste and an almost-reasonable person would have stopped with that, I'm thinking.

Would you like somebody to come hold your hand to help you through this crisis?

TAFL

flinging the poo back at the monkeys

Your right, i'm a shameful, shameful contra player. How dare I call things out on this site. How wrong of me to expect people to have discussions on the appropriate forums, and to expect the mod's to do their job. I'm a real ####### tool.

It's you're, not your.

Cool, so let's just have all our serious marching band discussions in here. I'm cool with that, ####, I teach marching band, so it's one less site to look around.

This thread is as applicable to drum corps as the "www.bands.org" thread you started on December 10th which encouraged readers to check out the BOA rule book.

My high school charged around $400 per student for an entire year of band (which included marching band, concert band, concert festivals, solo and ensemble, etc). We also had WONDERFUL band boosters and did the whole fund raising thing to death. We had two directors and individual instructors for every section. I'm thinking we did 8 or 9 marching competitions. We would also take trips to DCI shows (sometimes finals).

Edited by jeffro21

How dare I call things out on this site. How wrong of me to expect people to have discussions on the appropriate forums, and to expect the mod's to do their job.

Madison Scouts? 1988 thread? Historical forum? I believe I've been over this. If you're such a crusader for correct forum use, why aren't you hijacking the 88 thread to talk about how it should be in the historical forum?

I had no idea that some bands charged over $100. I can understand why more kids from these upper price range bands are having problems with corps. At my band we have a $85 participation fee that covered uniform rental, trip costs, and tshirts. If we took a trip that wasn't to a competition it cost no more than $250, because if it was more we had less than 20 people that were willing to pay or fundraise. But also, we have no techs, 15 year old uniforms, and buy the "cookie cutter" shows.

I also didn't know that high schools had techs (or did technique exercises haha) until my rookie year when friends were talking about teaching at places. that was a shock when I found out that it wasn't just a "lack of talent" that contributed to my band's...unsuccessful field shows, but it was lack of commitment to fund raising and little support from the community.

My indoor drumline charges a fee of almost $800, but we are an independent line.

Is there a major reason why some bands are charging each member upwards of $1000 to participate? And are these larger programs?

Also, does anyone believe that it's this type of expansion and growth that is leading to the dwindling number of those participating in smaller corps, or corps in general?

I have not read all the posts, but allow me to point out that as budgets are slashed in arts programs, the money to fund a top program, or even a decent program, has to come from somewhere.

It does remind me of the bumper sticker I've seen. Something regarding the Air Force holding a bake sale to buy a bomber, but arts programs being fully funded.

Garry in Vegas

The band I teach here in Maine has no fee at all. About 70 members-- 10 paid staff (mostly BAC alums)...who are paid by the school department. The boosters pay for everything else, including uni's, instruments, coach buses when needed, and even the kids' marching shoes and band jackets to wear after the show. The marching band is a Gold Medal band, as are the concert band, wind ensemble, and jazz ensemble. But, our boosters have BINGO, so we are atypical in New England. Our kids could never afford these kinds of fees!

And by the way, I've been involved with drum corps since 1977, and I am not the LEAST BIT offended by this discussion!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a major reason why some bands are charging each member upwards of $1000 to participate? And are these larger programs?

-lack of funding from the school district & state and federal government

-high expectations from students, administrators and parents to succeed (obviously "success" is relative, but for some folks winning their local/state/national circuit is THE definition of success) leads to hiring the top designers in the field

-high travel costs (some of those $1K school travel across the country to compete in BOA regionals/finals)

-high costs of everything in general