OperationTaps / DCA Challenge

As I've posted earlier, I'll be keeping track of DCA corps participating in the OperationTaps / DCA Challenge.

On January 15, 2008 I’ll begin posting the running totals, and will continue to do so through August 15, 2008.

A few weeks back several brass caption leaders informed me that they would discuss this with their respective corps and keep me posted. I wanted to wait until most corps had their January camps before posting any results.

For those who are still not sure what OperationTaps is... it is a web site designed to encourage civilian Taps bugler volunteerism. Among the content on the site will be a friendly competition: The OperationTaps / DCA Challenge.

We’ll be keeping track of:

- The number of organizations your corps is associated with to provide a Taps bugler for military honors funerals. Examples might include VFW or American Legion posts, funeral homes, or any other community based organization.

- The number of your corps members who are already volunteers (or pros). Examples might include members of Bugles Across America, Echo Taps, or even simply being the “go-to” guy for your church.

- Any community or veterans related performances your corps has done. Examples might include playing a Christmas concert at a VA hospital.

- The number of Taps performances by a member of your corps for a military honors funeral since 12/7/07.

Please visit the site if you haven’t already, and feel free to contact me with any questions. www.operationtaps.org

If you aren't sure if your corps is participating please contact me. I may already be in contact with your brass caption head or corps director.

You can contact me at tomallentraining@aol.com or info@operationtaps.org

Thank you.

Edited by OperationTaps

As I've posted earlier, I'll be keeping track of DCA corps participating in the OperationTaps / DCA Challenge.

On January 15, 2008 I’ll begin posting the running totals, and will continue to do so through August 15, 2008.

A few weeks back several brass caption leaders informed me that they would discuss this with their respective corps and keep me posted. I wanted to wait until most corps had their January camps before posting any results.

For those who are still not sure what OperationTaps is... it is a web site designed to encourage civilian Taps bugler volunteerism. Among the content on the site will be a friendly competition: The OperationTaps / DCA Challenge.

We’ll be keeping track of:

- The number of organizations your corps is associated with to provide a Taps bugler for military honors funerals. Examples might include VFW or American Legion posts, funeral homes, or any other community based organization.

- The number of your corps members who are already volunteers (or pros). Examples might include members of Bugles Across America, Echo Taps, or even simply being the “go-to” guy for your church.

- Any community or veterans related performances your corps has done. Examples might include playing a Christmas concert at a VA hospital.

- The number of Taps performances by a member of your corps for a military honors funeral since 12/7/07.

Please visit the site if you haven’t already, and feel free to contact me with any questions. www.operationtaps.org

If you aren't sure if your corps is participating please contact me. I may already be in contact with your brass caption head or corps director.

You can contact me at tomallentraining@aol.com or info@operationtaps.org

Thank you.

As I mentioned, I want to be able to post some results tomorrow (1/15/08). Results will be posted at http://www.operationtaps.org/DCACorpsList.html

For those groups who are still trying to figure out how they are going to report, or are unsure as to what sort of information we're looking for...

Here’s an example of how a corps could report its results:

Corps X has:

• 7 horn players who are members of Bugles Across America, or have participated in Echo Taps, or have volunteered, or have played Taps professionally.

• The corps has an affiliation with 3 VFW Posts, 2 American Legion Posts, and 4 funeral homes that know that they can contact them.

• This corps did 2 concerts at VA retirement facilities over the holiday season, and 1 concert for the mayor of their town.

• Members of this corps have played Taps for 3 military honors funerals since December 7, 2007.

In this case, Corps X has 20 points.

We aren’t quite at the point where these results are going to be analyzed by any governing body, so if you have to “ballpark” your figures, that’s fine.

Please make note of all disclaimers on the pages of the site. This project is strictly voluntary. Your corps does not have to participate. But I know for a fact that some of your organizations are doing things in your community that you should be proud of, and I really hope you choose to participate.

Contact me with your results, or with any questions at info@operationtaps.org.

Thank you.

Edited by OperationTaps