Ideas for Line Starting

BlueStarsBass

Hey all -

I'm soon going to be working with a line that has little to no true experience with the modern marching percussion society. I was just curious on some ideas for exercises, tactics, or anything I can do to get the point across. It's going to be a high school line, with limited funding. But I still want to play some good stuff, and get them excited about the activity. This is a "no-corps" area so there is small exposure to what trully can be done. I feel like I'm trying to teach someone to snowboard in the middle of the desert. Thanks for your help!

Chris

Start with timing exercises like 16th note grids, accent exercises, etc. www.snarescience.com has a lot of good exercises. or you could write your own.

Sound advice above.

Keep it simple. Stay within your means of what your kids can play.

On your side of things be patient. It's easy to get frustrated.

Best of luck.

If you don't mind saying, where are you going to be teaching?

Also, don't be too uptight with them.

My line was your typical high school, write-our-own-parts line. We didn't do anything very demanding, and we got by OK. Then we got our very own former-DCI instructor who started making changes. after we got reaped by the hurricane, we learned our show in 5 weeks and got 2nd at a state competition, then the next year we got grand champion at the competition we go to every year (we're not a BOA band), and this year we got 2nd there. All because of him, but his attitude that first year was "this is how it's gonna be. i know what i'm doing and you don't"

He made us awesome, but we hated everything about him that first year. once he lightened up, he was cool.

moral of the story: don't be a #### to them and they'll listen and won't hate you

everybody fears the unfamiliar...

get them familiar with drum corps. show them vids and get them psyched. see what they respond to.

then show them hs wgi or boa to let them know it is achievable and tell them you know how to get them moving toward that level.

i feel your first step, before you even approach the exercises, is to show the students context.

have a real (musical, pragmatic, visual, etc.) reason for the minutiae.

if they don't really understand WHY they should define a playing zone... well then good luck with grace notes.

as we get into playing, i always offer this caveat to the students: it is my job to tell you what is wrong with this picture, do not get discouraged. i am your FEEDBACK... if you could stand out here and see what i see (knowing what i know ~ you might want to wait awhile before you drop that one on them), you would call for the same adjustments.

kids (yes, kids who still watch mtv and make decisions in their lives accordingly) who have not had an instructor in front of them are not used to being told they are doing something wrong! offer as much in the opposite direction as possible.

any chance you get to point out a positive: do it!!! immediate reward is crucial! sorry if i sound like i also have a psych degree; because, well... yeah, i do.

there are many of them and but one of you... don't force a battle. the only way 'you win' is by making them all quit.

get them on your side first; even better, show them you are on their side.

usually it's the seniors who want to fight it for a couple of reasons:

1) they like being a hack with no real playing responsibility.

2) deep down, they known it's too late for them.

just be forewarned: they may hate you even if you were the love child of Tom Aungst and Mother Teresa. :music:

if you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

cheers,

db

Ya, Thanks alot guys. Oh and Kiltie, I'm going to be in South Central Kansas teaching a line in a rural high school. I totally agree with getting them on board and getting them excited about the activity. And I'll be the first one to agree with you that all of this, is mostly mental. What should I expect? What should I prepare for? How can I get through to the students, and especially the seniors, and get them amped about the activity. I apoligize if this is just a repitition of my last post. I just want to make sure I go into that room on the first night and be have an answer for any problem I face.

Thanks guys.

I would expect nothing and everything. Chances are they are very limited in their knowledge of what your idea of a drumline is. So as I stated before be patient

Don't be afraid to give them structure. You should go in having some expectations as far discipline. First thing I noticed w/ my line was the lack of being able to stay at attention after playing. Wether it be figiding, hacking, talking, etc. So I drive home the side a discipline as much as I can. Which inturn helps with the focus, which helps the playing. (stuff like sticks in and out, looking around, body posture, stuff like that. Little stuff but pays off big later)

I also started a conditioning program. we go through it every rehearsal prior to playing. 15 min stretch. Followed with a 1 mile run (started it with just a couple laps). Then a series of strengthening stuff. Push-ups, Calf Raises, Wall Sits, Core Isolations, etc... Then some tracking.

This helped my line a lot. They could carry their equipment better and could run larger segments without getting tired. It also helped with their focus. Sort of gets the funk out of them.

I guess what I am getting at is the biggest "problems" with the HS lines I have taught is attention spans. So expect that :peek:

Prepare for kids forgetting their music

When you set the line don't expect to please everyone. Do whats best for the ensemble.

Expect poor communication from students about attendance.

Expect them to over react to stuff.

This is all based off of my experiences of course. Both lines I have taught have had very similar and yet very different issues throughout the year.

Hope it helps

Ya, Thanks alot guys. Oh and Kiltie, I'm going to be in South Central Kansas teaching a line in a rural high school.

How far south and central? Seriously, if Olathe isn't too long a drive for them to stomach, you're welcome to bring them to a rehearsal and we'll give them a workout. Heck, I'd even cough up copies for each of all the exercises we'll be using so they can get exposed to a different set of drills.

As for the rest of your questions, feel free to stop by a rehearsal and talk shop (or email or whatever).

TAFL

• 2 weeks later...

As a member of a line I feel that a Tech needs to be strict and show them how it is to be a real line first, but also become ,in a sense, someone they can turn too.

I liked it when my Tech would say good job when I did something good and when I did something stupid just flat out tell me what was wrong.

So I would say be nice and mean at the same time. And also have confidence becuause a Tech who has no confidence gives no confidence to who he/she techs.

Drew

What Drew said is very true.

Reinforce the good and correct them when they are wrong. Don't forget that HS band is first and foremost and educational experience and most students will not learn from their mistakes if they aren't told they are making a mistake in the first place. But you don't have to be a dick when correcting them. (Which falls back on my comments about being patient and to understand that you will get frustrated.)

Confidence in your instructor knowing what they are talking about is very key as well.

And be available to your students outside of rehearsal (via e-mail or message board, phone, etc...) if they have any questions.

All very good points Drew.