Preping a horn for repair work

Penn State

Spend 10 bucks and ship it to Johnny Grass in NJ mastercraftmusic.com

The work will be done competently and the horn will be play-tested with some Skyliner double Cs.

:whip: Johnny Hooked up My Kanstul We Made it so It plays a G Not a Gb...

I'm teaching myself the black magic of horn repair. But I know my limits. Red Rot By the way once it starts usually will render a horn junk, its like a cancer. It never goes away. All you can do is treat it and hope for the best.

:tongue: Johnny Hooked up My Kanstul We Made it so It plays a G Not a Gb...

I'm teaching myself the black magic of horn repair. But I know my limits. Red Rot By the way once it starts usually will render a horn junk, its like a cancer. It never goes away. All you can do is treat it and hope for the best.

I finally e-mailed him, I'll share wht information he gives me with everyone. I'm hoping there is no red rot. Grant it the horn was very dirty, but there was no residue expelled from the horn that would indicate it is 'infected' when the initial flush was done. I'm hoping the acid bath won't show any indication of rusting of the tubes interiors. At this point I plan on stripping the horn horn tomorrow. Here's to hoping all goes well! :music:

Red rot doesn't normally show it's ugly head until you dent it, or try to have a dent taken out. All I did was brush a feather across it and it dented the horn. Or I tried to get the dent taken out, but the horn split open like a cheap beer can.

As far as prepping a horn. As long as you clean it good, you should be alright. If you don't clean it and the repair tech is lazy, whatever dirt remains may end up welded into the metal. Or permanently tarnished into the finish. If such is the M.O. of your tech, then don't take it to them until you absolutely have to. If at all.