OperationTaps Updates 4/30/08

Since starting this project on Pearl Harbor Day 2007: OperationTaps participating units have performed at military honors funerals for:

93 Veterans for whom the only other option was to use a recorded version of Taps.

Also new on the web site, this story of service:

From Ryan Codd (Empire and St.Joe's)

"About two months ago when Tom Allen came to the Empire Statesmen rehearsal and then later to St. Joes to give his presentation about OperationTaps, I felt like after I heard his idea that I needed to do something right away.

I had never played taps before so I was nervous to do it at first. So I was browsing through the Sunday Death Notices after reherseal and found one that I was able to do and I called up the funeral home and told him I could do it.

Even though I had no idea who the guy was, after I played it I felt good inside.

Then a few months later, my friend from school who I graduated with emailed me and said thank you. She went on to say that I played for her cousins grandfathers funeral. Ever since then I have played taps about once or twice a month for funerals for veterans"

This is exactly what this project is about.

And please do not hesitate to email me with the number of service performances you or your corps has done ... ANY corps can participate.

We aren't doing it as a "Challenge" anymore so there is no competitive aspect to it.

I started the project with a "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach because I didn't know precisely how to best get this going, but I didn't want to wait until I had all the answers. Since starting the project, I've been incredibly proud of the response from the drum corps extended family.

Thanks Ryan, and thanks to all who have helped.

Tom,

not sure if this counts for your project, but..

CB! will be donating our time for the Loyalty Day Ceremony, on May 18th, 2pm, at the Colonie VFW Post. (Just outside of Albany)

I don't know the protocol for Loyalty Day, but we've been asked to perform Taps, in addition to the National Anthem and America, the Beautiful.

(sorry, had the wrong date typed in... fixed)

Edited by brassomaniac

Tom,

not sure if this counts for your project, but..

CB! will be donating our time for the Loyalty Day Ceremony, on May 15th, 2pm, at the Colonie VFW Post. (Just outside of Albany)

I don't know the protocol for Loyalty Day, but we've been asked to perform Taps, in addition to the National Anthem and America, the Beautiful.

That's awesome, of course it counts.

Any time a member of the drum corps family steps up is what this project is about.

Thanks Capital Brass!