1977 U.O.E.C. Championships (Bridgeport, CT)

I can only comment on Bayonne and Boston. Bayonne was DQ'd in Denver prior to prelims, but got a local judge to issue an injunction that allowed them to compete in prelims, and if they made finals - which they did - they were allowed to compete in finals. After the season ended, the DCI BOD accepted Bayonne's DQ, and their scores, as well as they Finals recording were deleted from the records. Thus - the UOEC Championships is the only recording from 77 Bayonne.

As for Boston, they had a very strong corps in 1977 and had is best showing in years nationally. They should have made finals in 77 - and I believe they were in 14th in prelims. They did get on vinyl from DCI prelims since DCI was selling the top 20 corps back then - on 5 albums. That fact that they were also on UOEC is sort of ironic. No other top 20 corps that I know of was on two diff sets of vinyl.

If anyone knows info to the contrary, please share.

If you expand your criteria to include top 25 corps, I can think of at least one other corps that was recorded on at least two different sets of vinyl and that's the '76 Commodores.

We were on the DCW (Drum Corps West) albums, which was our best show of the year and the last performance ever for the Commodores. And we also made it on the World Open records that year even though we didn't even make finals at that show. If you can find it you'll hear one of the worst phasing (I think they call it tears now) problems ever to be preserved on vinyl. I was at a drum corps party with Jim Ott in 1979 or 1980 when I discovered our World Open performance had been recorded and Jim and I got quite a laugh out of hearing it (although it wasn't the least bit funny at the time).

I was going to say we made it to three albums due to placing 24th at DCI but since you say they only recorded the top 20 and I've never seen these albums, I'll take your word for it, even though I have a recording of our DCI prelim performance given to me by a friend, that was ripped to CD. I just assumed that it came from an album.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BAD recording of that show. I know that a few of the parents at Long Island Kingsmen have the whole album set for that show. I've been frantically trying to locate them!

If anyone knows how to get one, please let me know.

Dwayne

LI Kingsmen

Dwayne;

I still have the Kingsmen album from 77 UOEC, but no record player. PM me and we can work something out.

Dave

This was a BIG moment in my life. My FIRST time on an "OFFICIAL" Championship record. I was only 15 at the time and felt like such "BIG" kid. :thumbup:

I think I eventually bought 2 records. I would play it constantly at home, FULL volume of course. :tongue:

Did think it was strange of their choice for who was on the 2 albulms. Some of the corps that made finals were not on the records, and some that did not make finals were.

I remember going to this show as a kid and seeing the Muchachos and wondering what had happened to them.

It wasn't till I was a little older did I hear the stories about thier fall from grace.

Just what was it with Drum Corps from Jersey and over age kids ?????

No matter what, both those corps are the reason I am still in the activity today :tongue:

Yes I have those DCI Albums.

1972 - 1983 Volumes 1 - 5 only which is Top 20 only

1984 - 1989 Volumes 4 - 6 Top 24. DCI stopped making Vinyl in 1989 and the only way to get bottom Corps (Non Finalist) was Cassettes.

I do have some older stuff like the UOEC (Started this thread for more info) and World Open, VFW, etc... Its nice to have made CDs! LOL

I have all the above listed....

JP

If you expand your criteria to include top 25 corps, I can think of at least one other corps that was recorded on at least two different sets of vinyl and that's the '76 Commodores.

We were on the DCW (Drum Corps West) albums, which was our best show of the year and the last performance ever for the Commodores. And we also made it on the World Open records that year even though we didn't even make finals at that show. If you can find it you'll hear one of the worst phasing (I think they call it tears now) problems ever to be preserved on vinyl. I was at a drum corps party with Jim Ott in 1979 or 1980 when I discovered our World Open performance had been recorded and Jim and I got quite a laugh out of hearing it (although it wasn't the least bit funny at the time).

I was going to say we made it to three albums due to placing 24th at DCI but since you say they only recorded the top 20 and I've never seen these albums, I'll take your word for it, even though I have a recording of our DCI prelim performance given to me by a friend, that was ripped to CD. I just assumed that it came from an album.

• 4 months later...
I can only comment on Bayonne and Boston. Bayonne was DQ'd in Denver prior to prelims, but got a local judge to issue an injunction that allowed them to compete in prelims, and if they made finals - which they did - they were allowed to compete in finals. After the season ended, the DCI BOD accepted Bayonne's DQ, and their scores, as well as they Finals recording were deleted from the records. Thus - the UOEC Championships is the only recording from 77 Bayonne.

As for Boston, they had a very strong corps in 1977 and had is best showing in years nationally. They should have made finals in 77 - and I believe they were in 14th in prelims. They did get on vinyl from DCI prelims since DCI was selling the top 20 corps back then - on 5 albums. That fact that they were also on UOEC is sort of ironic. No other top 20 corps that I know of was on two diff sets of vinyl.

If anyone knows info to the contrary, please share.

I had several follow-up questions about the '77 Bridgemen that maybe someone knows.

1. On DrumCorps Wiki, it states that the corps placed 4th tentatively at finals, subject to the terms of the consent decree between the corps leadership and DCI. Later, the Bridgemen’s performance was voided, but the agreement stipulated that the other corps would not move up in placement. If that's right, would the placements not be:

1) Blue Devils (92.050)

2) Phantom Reg. (90.300)

3) SCV (89.850)

4) *****

5) 27th Lancers (87.450)

6) Madison Scouts (87.300)

7) Blue Stars (84.300)

8) The Cavaliers (83.000)

9) Cap. Freelancers (82.400)

9) Seneca Optimists (82.400) (tie)

11) Kilties (81.800)

12) Crossmen (81.300)

13) Garfield Cadets (78.150)

2. Was there a rule change in between 1977 and 1989 when two overage members marched in SCV so that SCV would not be treated similarly to the Bridgemen and have their show disqualified? Or, was the issue in 1977 the knowledge of the Bridgemen's staff (because I don't think that the SCV staff knew they had overage members until after the fact)?

3. Does anyone know what court the Bridgemen/DCI lawsuit was filed in?

Thanks

I had several follow-up questions about the '77 Bridgemen that maybe someone knows.

1. On DrumCorps Wiki, it states that the corps placed 4th tentatively at finals, subject to the terms of the consent decree between the corps leadership and DCI. Later, the Bridgemen’s performance was voided, but the agreement stipulated that the other corps would not move up in placement. If that's right, would the placements not be:

1) Blue Devils (92.050)

2) Phantom Reg. (90.300)

3) SCV (89.850)

4) *****

5) 27th Lancers (87.450)

6) Madison Scouts (87.300)

7) Blue Stars (84.300)

8) The Cavaliers (83.000)

9) Cap. Freelancers (82.400)

9) Seneca Optimists (82.400) (tie)

11) Kilties (81.800)

12) Crossmen (81.300)

13) Garfield Cadets (78.150)

It depends on who is posting the records. Some people have shown as you write above. Some have moved everyone up one position. Technically, your showing is how corps ended up via scores.
2. Was there a rule change in between 1977 and 1989 when two overage members marched in SCV so that SCV would not be treated similarly to the Bridgemen and have their show disqualified? Or, was the issue in 1977 the knowledge of the Bridgemen's staff (because I don't think that the SCV staff knew they had overage members until after the fact)?

I think the rule was always stated that no member could be over 21 by the time of prelims. In 1975, Muchachos performed in prelims and got bagged. My memory might be off - Bayonne may have marched prelims with an overage member and got bagged, then got the injunction, and were able to march finals. For SCV - they discovered the dinosaurs during late in the season, a few kids from Europe had forged their birthdates. Gail Royer found out and sent them packing. I am also pretty darn certain that Crossmen got bagged for having an overage member.....I need Malibu to peek at this and reply.

3. Does anyone know what court the Bridgemen/DCI lawsuit was filed in?
Well.....we were in Boulder for prelims, and Mile High Stadium for finals. I suspect it was in a Denver court? Finals were on a Friday night - Elvis died the day before. The injunction was granted within a day - and - before prelims.

It depends on who is posting the records. Some people have shown as you write above. Some have moved everyone up one position. Technically, your showing is how corps ended up via scores.

I think the rule was always stated that no member could be over 21 by the time of prelims. In 1975, Muchachos performed in prelims and got bagged. My memory might be off - Bayonne may have marched prelims with an overage member and got bagged, then got the injunction, and were able to march finals. For SCV - they discovered the dinosaurs during late in the season, a few kids from Europe had forged their birthdates. Gail Royer found out and sent them packing. I am also pretty darn certain that Crossmen got bagged for having an overage member.....I need Malibu to peek at this and reply.

Well.....we were in Boulder for prelims, and Mile High Stadium for finals. I suspect it was in a Denver court? Finals were on a Friday night - Elvis died the day before. The injunction was granted within a day - and - before prelims.

Thanks for the information... I think I am going to try to see if I can dig up a copy of that old consent decree, just as a minor item of memorabilia. One of the nice things I didn't anticipate about the Fan Network is the way it helped me appreciate a much longer period in drum corps, from many more corps. I had heard recordings of the Bridgemen, but not until I was able to kind of follow them through the years and see their performances did I really appreciate how great they were, and how influential they were in many respects. Same for 27, and many, many others... thanks for the information. :blink:

It's not that rare. Because the Bridgemen were not on the DCI albums, this LP is the only vinyl with '77 Bridgemen on it....which caused it to sell more copies.

As Ken Kobold's recordings of the Bridgemen at DCI were made available for awhile via custom tapes, the UOEC LP is not the only existing recording of the corps that year.

(P.S. Muchachos were DQ in 1975. Coincidentally, they were at the 1977 UOEC show, but were not included on either of the LPs.)

P.S. The Muchachos were at that UOEC show and they ARE on the LP, I have a copy of it in my basement that I listen to every now and then. I marched Muchachos in 76 and 77. It may have not been the most competitive 2 years of my drumcorps career BUT it was the most rewarding and fun 2 years I ever had in drumcorps.