The Official 2008 Jersey Surf Thread

Looks like Indy is going to be a lot of fun.

Went there for a Science Fiction convention once. It WAS fun! Check it out.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jersey Surf featured in the Pocono Record, video on YouTube, as provided by the news source:

Its cool, check it out! :smile:

Jersey Surf featured in the Pocono Record, video on YouTube, as provided by the news source:

Its cool, check it out! :smile:

Bob does a great job with the interview. Love his comment about using drum corps as a teaching tool for real life. Good stuff.

Looks like Indy is going to be a lot of fun.

They have a fast racetrack there.

I was running a bit late for the Fourth of July parade in Glenside, PA. I went with my girlfriend and her mother. We parked behind the Keswick Theater and walked about a block to the main road. I heard drums and horns, and from around the corner came......drumroll please.....the Surf.

It was great to see such a larger group. New horns and drums look sharp, and Surf was paying tribute to the spirit of the day by playing a few classic parades tunes. I'm looking forward to seeing the corps in West Chester, the parade was good but didn't scratch my corps itch.

p.s. This was the second of three parades for the day, I do NOT miss that!

Some great progress from the Surf over the past year! Saw them in Clifton on Saturday and WOW. Powerful sound and visual.

The hornline is LOUD. All kinds of crazy stuff. A very lush sound when called for, and a very punchy, powerful sound at other times. A very balanced sound for the most part. The lower brass could contribute more, but it might be an arrangement issue. Who knows?

The drumline is clean for this point in the season. Some awesome drill in the second song! You can certainly tell these kids are worked hard in practices.

The pit looks to be playing a lot more notes than almost any other corps in Open Class, and some of the lower tiered World Class corps. They could be a lot louder, but performance and characterizing the music is a strong skill set. There's a vibe guy and a Marimba girl toward the center that sell it really well. If they amped (unlikely at this point) or get some harder mallets or something, the numbers are going to reflect this ensemble.

The HUGE guard is pretty clean for July. Pretty much no drops that I saw. Interesting uniforms. I'm not sure how I feel about the pink, but it pops and I Guess it fits the theme. They throw a whole heck of a lot. I think the weapons hold their weapons as often as the hornline is too quiet...

All in all I am in love with this show and wish this corps the best of luck. I wonder why they aren't scoring better, but I assume that 7 pointing TEAL is the most the judges could give them this early in the season. I hope they keep up the evident work and continue to clean/improve their show.

The lower brass could contribute more, but it might be an arrangement issue. Who knows?

haha we were always yelled at last year to play louder