Sky at Totowa

The Skyliner's Alumni lead the Totowa (NJ) Fire Department's 100th Anniversary Parade today on a beautiful afternoon. I hope you enjoy the photos. Also attached to the photos is my first bunch from the Cabs at Totowa on Memorial Day.

One highlight for me was snapping a pic of a ONE-VALVE baritone horn. It brings back a memory of forty-one years ago when I played that horn in the Doremus Sr. parade corps of Hackensack, having a ball until Uncle Sam (aka Lyndon Johnson) "invited" me to march with him.

Enjoy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27013032@N04/

Joe Dziezawiec

former webmaster

Garden State Circuit.

The Skyliner's Alumni lead the Totowa (NJ) Fire Department's 100th Anniversary Parade today on a beautiful afternoon. I hope you enjoy the photos. Also attached to the photos is my first bunch from the Cabs at Totowa on Memorial Day.

One highlight for me was snapping a pic of a ONE-VALVE baritone horn. It brings back a memory of forty-one years ago when I played that horn in the Doremus Sr. parade corps of Hackensack, having a ball until Uncle Sam (aka Lyndon Johnson) "invited" me to march with him.

Joe Dziezawiec

former webmaster

Garden State Circuit.

Sorry, Joe. That horn is an Olds Ultratone, ca. 1968. It really has two valves, one piston and one rotor.

BTW, Nice photos.

Sorry, Joe. That horn is an Olds Ultratone, ca. 1968. It really has two valves, one piston and one rotor.

BTW, Nice photos.

I guess I've always called it a one valve horn because of the one "piston." The horn I used in Fairlawn was a one piston/slide. In Doremus, it was a one piston/one rotary. So......... I played a 2-valve horm without calling it that.

Thanks for helping me clarify a 42-year mis-speak.

Joe

Joe Dziezawiec

former webmaster

Garden State Circuit.

Joe,

Thanks so much for the great photos of SKY Alumni!

The Olds, G/F Valve Rotor is a Bass Bari. In the next photo, the horn is also an Olds Untratone, G/F Contra Bass.

Also in the ranks at that time, you will find an Olds sop, same type, as well as a FH, again the same, and an Olds Duratone Bass Bari, G/F valve rotor, with the satin finish. All terrific instruments, still...

The valve/slide horn you mention having played, originally, was, of course, a G/D horn. I used to play a Gerzen Titleist in parades, as recently as 8 years ago, but contributed it to the SKY uniform fund, for auction on EBay.

BTW, many of us marching in the ranks, at that parade, are former Garden State competitors, from the West Paterson Royalairs, Paterson Lamplighters, Imperial Guardsmen, Hilltoppers, etc.

Long time ago, fond memories still!

Who'da thought, at that time, there'd be so few Shows, and so few D&B Corps in any given parade, as we see now?!

Thanks, also, for the great shots of our great friends in the Hawthorne Cabs! Just beautiful!

Bill Moore

SKY Alumni brass instructor

Joe,

.......snipped..............

BTW, many of us marching in the ranks, at that parade, are former Garden State competitors, from the West Paterson Royalairs, Paterson Lamplighters, Imperial Guardsmen, Hilltoppers, etc.

Long time ago, fond memories still!

Who'da thought, at that time, there'd be so few Shows, and so few D&B Corps in any given parade, as we see now?!

Thanks, also, for the great shots of our great friends in the Hawthorne Cabs! Just beautiful!

Bill Moore

SKY Alumni brass instructor

Bill,

After the Lamplighters disbanded, a Paterson Police Officer started a corps, the Paterson Crusaders. In the mid 1970s, I was their winter guard instructor for two seasons in the Liberty Color Guard Circuit. Lottsa' fun!

I was told by one of your bari players at the parade that the alumni corps is doing drill this year. I will be away the weekend of the Grand Prix and won't be able to see you guys until my DVDs from DCA get here.

Sky was my father's favorite corps....after a lifetime of factory work with deafening noises, he always appreciated "that sound."

Good luck to you fine folks...

Joe