Were did they lose it?

One of my personal favs from '80 is the Scouts hornline.

2nd in prelims, 3rd in finals

True power and showmanship with some great mello licks in They're Playing our Song

You, sir, are correct! Great Scouts hornline!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I always liked the 27th Lancers show better than the BD show in 1980.

But, that's just me.

I was the reading the order of placement thread about 1980 and noticed that Phantom scored a 16.85 in percussion which placed them 7th in that catagory. While they would have still lost by almost a point that was thier weakness that year. I mention that because it was the most glaring of the scores.

What other catagory hurt a certain corps that prevented them from winning.

The first corps I thought of as I read your post were the Argonne Rebels in the early '70s. WONDERFUL horn line. Pretty weak drum line.

BD was better than us.

THAT night anyways. 27th was slap your mama hot at DCI East and just plain tired by Birmingham. Funny that 27th, Bridgemen, and Spirit 1980 are all on the countdown dvd's and 1980 Blue Devils are not. Just goes to show how many great Blue Devil's corps there have been!

BTW - Here's what the scores looked like before penalties at finals in 1980:

1) BD 90.70(.1)

2) 27th 90.25(no penalties)

2) B-men 90.25(.2)

4) Spirit 90.20(.4)

Wow! :smile:

Yikes, and as far down as 27th's horn line was (relatively speaking), it was visual analysis that took a drop from DCI East and lost them the title!! I've heard the VA judge had a problem with the rotation in Folk Song Suite (or as Zingali called it, the "Ferris Wheel").

Yikes, and as far down as 27th's horn line was (relatively speaking), it was visual analysis that took a drop from DCI East and lost them the title!! I've heard the VA judge had a problem with the rotation in Folk Song Suite (or as Zingali called it, the "Ferris Wheel").

Not to rekindle suppressed anxieties....check out that judge's VA score in Allentown finals and a week later at DCI finals. Same judge - same two corps fighting.

Our strengths were there, the spreads on the brass scores were within reason. Marching the same drill - how did it suddenly become less than a winner? That was the spread that evaporated and killed us.

Someone once said (paraphrased), dealing with a setback can make you stronger. I am not sure. Collectively, I think we had all of our eggs in that basket.

Someone once said (paraphrased), dealing with a setback can make you stronger. I am not sure. Collectively, I think we had all of our eggs in that basket.

It was Nietsche (sp) who wrote: "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger."

BTW - Here's what the scores looked like before penalties at finals in 1980:

1) BD 90.70(.1)

2) 27th 90.25(no penalties)

2) B-men 90.25(.2)

4) Spirit 90.20(.4)

Wow! :laughing:

The legendary Mr. Dastrip. How good to see you here L.