Chattahoochee Vanguard, RIP

The Chattahoochee Vanguard mini corps has died on the vine. Not enough people, and life situations (work, new babies :thumbup:, school) are getting in the way. We are going to concentrate on getting a brass group together to perform concerts, etc. We may try the mini corps route later on. I'll be taking down our Yahoo group this week.

Edited by davidp

sorry to hear, especially since this is the first time I heard the name that I know of

Bummer. Where's the corps located? I was stationed at Ft. Benning a number of years, and otherwise fished the Chattahoochee many times. The name would imply somewhere near the TN, GA, and AL borders. Benning/Columbus/Phenix was more central on the GA/AL border. I can't seem to find any info on the corps from Google. Or Yahoo. Or Corpsreps.

The only semi-related reference I've found is the Chattahoochee Sound Association from Decatur, GA on drumcorpswiki.com. 145 hits for chattahoochie on groups.yahoo.com, and finally found a hit near result 100-ish.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/chatt...oup&slk=108

I'm all for secret handshakes and all. But just browsing the message board, I can decipher that you're in Georgia. After reading a dozen or more messages, I could decipher that you may or may not rehearse in a church. Does one have to sign up to know what city you are/were in/near?

Bummer. Where's the corps located? I was stationed at Ft. Benning a number of years, and otherwise fished the Chattahoochee many times. The name would imply somewhere near the TN, GA, and AL borders. Benning/Columbus/Phenix was more central on the GA/AL border. I can't seem to find any info on the corps from Google. Or Yahoo. Or Corpsreps.

The only semi-related reference I've found is the Chattahoochee Sound Association from Decatur, GA on drumcorpswiki.com. 145 hits for chattahoochie on groups.yahoo.com, and finally found a hit near result 100-ish.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/chatt...oup&slk=108

I'm all for secret handshakes and all. But just browsing the message board, I can decipher that you're in Georgia. After reading a dozen or more messages, I could decipher that you may or may not rehearse in a church. Does one have to sign up to know what city you are/were in/near?

This group would have been based in the south Cobb/Douglas County area (I currently live just south of the Marietta Square). It was/is an outgrowth of the Westside Winds Community Band that rehearses as Lithia Springs First Baptist Church (we need trumpets, btw :hmmm: ). I got the idea for a mini corps from going to the DCA mini corps contests (I'm the guy who ask about doing DCA mini corps with a group that had no official DCA ties). There were four or five of us who were trying to do this, but to date we've not been able to get it moving.

We never went so far as to incorporate or anything; just far enough to have a name, and a uniform idea. I did have plans to try to get it going and possibly enter the MCA comps. There has never been anything secret about it; I put a few shameless plugs on here in various places, but I imagine that the people who saw them either live elsewhere, or are already attached to an existing corps.

I am not against trying this again at some point; the Westside Winds officially "died" for about three weeks before it resurrected, and we're now in our third performing season. I have two marching french horns (1 F, 1 Bb) sitting in my apartment doing nothing, and it would be fun to actually pull this off, and anyone who plays trumpet would be set.

My position is that I got tired of posting stuff on this board, claiming to be putting together a group, and then ending up with a case of eggs on my face when nothing happened. But like I said, I'm still open to getting it going.

Edited by davidp

Best of luck. I'm more of a Euph player, and I don't currently live in the area. I liked Georgia though. Aside from feeling clostraphobic being burried in trees all the time.

Best of luck. I'm more of a Euph player, and I don't currently live in the area. I liked Georgia though. Aside from feeling clostraphobic being burried in trees all the time.

We could use a steady bari/euph player as well. We have a tenor sax playing the bari solo in 2nd Suite in F at the moment. It sounds good, but it ain't the same.

n

We never went so far as to incorporate or anything; just far enough to have a name, and a uniform idea. I did have plans to try to get it going and possibly enter the MCA comps. There has never been anything secret about it; I put a few shameless plugs on here in various places, but I imagine that the people who saw them either live elsewhere, or are already attached to an existing corps.

I remember putting something in a thread about contact me if you get your mini corps up and running.I am assuming this is the same group.

I would love to do a mini corps this year.I know of a Mello player that is looking for a mini corps gig too.Let me know if you put anything together. edwardamason@yahoo.com

I remember putting something in a thread about contact me if you get your mini corps up and running.I am assuming this is the same group.

I would love to do a mini corps this year.I know of a Mello player that is looking for a mini corps gig too.Let me know if you put anything together. edwardamason@yahoo.com

Yes, one and the same. I was afraid to contact you because I didn't want you to come all the way down here for just a few people, and it not be worth your while.

All I really need is some people who would want to do it, and can (and will). I could crank it back up in a second. I haven't taken the Yahoo group down yet, so it's not "dead" dead yet. I'm pretty sure we could get a place to practice. If I could get a committed core (corps? :thumbup: ) group, I think we could grow it pretty well. Right now, though, it's a Catch-22.

Don't close the door for good, david.

Have some arrangements on hand for 4 or 5 people. And keep your feelers out there for someone with the same feelings for it as you.

If you get one or two good players that are willing to get together for some informal rehearsals, you never know where it will go from there.

It can't always be done with 21 or even 11 or 6... right out of the gate.

I started with myself and my son. Then we added just one at a time. And the idea really brewed in the back of my head for 13 years before I actually acted on it.

Granted, people are still not knocking the door down to get in. But we have a small core group that could consider a whole lot of directions to go in. Once you have 5 players who are really on board with your idea, you really have enough to start doing some things.

Good luck. I hope that some people in your area come around to realize what you've got to offer them.

Edited by brassomaniac

Don't close the door for good, david.

Have some arrangements on hand for 4 or 5 people. And keep your feelers out there for someone with the same feelings for it as you.

If you get one or two good players that are willing to get together for some informal rehearsals, you never know where it will go from there.

It can't always be done with 21 or even 11 or 6... right out of the gate.

I started with myself and my son. Then we added just one at a time. And the idea really brewed in the back of my head for 13 years before I actually acted on it.

Granted, people are still not knocking the door down to get in. But we have a small core group that could consider a whole lot of directions to go in. Once you have 5 players who are really on board with your idea, you really have enough to start doing some things.

Good luck. I hope that some people in your area come around to realize what you've got to offer them.

Oh, hey, the door is never really "closed." Like I said, our community band "died" before some people contacted me about it, and we re-started it. We're in year number four of performing now (I think I said year 3 in a previous post--I can count, really! :worthy: ). This mini corps was primarily an outgrowth of the band, but since I'm in Marietta now, I'm not exactly tied to the that area being the base of the corps. I knew we wouldn't have 20 players all at once; the original plan was (and still is) to start small and grow into a corps. I'd be tickled pink to have a brass quintet and a trap set drummer. I had even thought about getting a baritone or euph off of eBay, and just seeing if I could get somebody to play it.

I think I may just start again from scratch, and call it the "Marietta Mini Corps Project."

Oh, and thanks for all the feedback. I needed an encouragement shot. :cool:

Edited by davidp