Michigan City

Somethings I noticed while watching...most of my comments are brass focused.

I only saw Bluecoats, Cavs and Cavaliers Alumni.

I really enjoyed Bluecoats, a lot. The boxer concept is strong and they use it. Design wise, the only negative is that you end up watching the boxers more than the rest of the corps. The hornline is very good. There is still a bit of feet in the sound in the high brass in longer stretches. They play some hard stuff and are starting to accomplish it. A couple of memorable licks for sure. They do a little singing and standing in a block, that I suspect is going to have something added in. Once cleaned, this will be very fun and impressive show to watch.

Cavaliers were very, very clean. Quality of sound was fantastic. All the basics of playing and marching well were BOX 5 level. The front ensemble had some really interesting sounds that were very appropriate to their show. In terms of design, I personally was not excited. I really wanted to be, really. I found myself bored most of the time. They (brass) seemed to play every once in a while and usually crescendo-ing long tones or pitch bending. The last movement had some meat, but I never went WOW. This reminds me of when I saw Cadets in '06. I hope there is much more in store for demand in this show...additions and such. This is all in realitve terms of great performers.

Cavaliers Alumni...were, well, KICK ###. It was so much more than I was expecting of these guys. There had to be 120 guys out there. There were 2 movements (I think) of actual drill and it wasn't really terrible. They played some medleys of classic Cavaliers stuff...um 19 snares I believe! I'm not trying to be a total jerk here, but there was more demand in the alumni horn book than the Jr. Corps. And it was really fun...not kidding and I am NOT an big fan of old school stuff. If these guys can keep something going THEY SHOULD DO DCA. Surprise of the night.

Edited by BlueStar98