Playing with dentures!

jeff danchik

I am looking for advice on the problems or solutions to playing with dentures.Recomendations appreciated. Thanks!

I am looking for advice on the problems or solutions to playing with dentures.Recomendations appreciated. Thanks!

Don't play with your dentures, just leave them in your mouth!

OK, sorry.

I have friends with dentures that said it only required some minor adapting of their playing style.

I imagine if you're experiencing some problems, then you would have to isolate the exact problem, since you already have an idea of the cause, and determine the best way for you to compensate for it.

That probably doesn't help much, but I had to write something after that bad joke above. :tongue:

Don't play with your dentures, just leave them in your mouth!

OK, sorry.

I have friends with dentures that said it only required some minor adapting of their playing style.

I imagine if you're experiencing some problems, then you would have to isolate the exact problem, since you already have an idea of the cause, and determine the best way for you to compensate for it.

That probably doesn't help much, but I had to write something after that bad joke above. :worthy:

Unfortunetly, I'm headed that way, but I could always play as a Falsetto :thumbup:

Didn't Maynard get dental implants? False teeth that screw into the jaw bone or something like that. Probably an option, although most likely more expensive than dentures.

One other option might be to switch to Contra or something that uses a little less tooth support. Leave the dentures out while playing. Or in, whatever works. Haven't been there myself (37) yet. Although I imagine I will be soon enough. In the meantime I'm eating my lifes weight in beef jerky since I know the time will come that I wont be able to eat it. My teeth are already aged enough that eating ice cubes is no longer pleasurable. Grrr.....

I think it really comes down to what your style of playing is. (Yeah, I know. I'm not an English major.)

If you use lots of pressure on your teeth, you might have problems. Proper embouchure is to have virtually no pressure. At worst, you just can't play lead soprano anymore.

Good luck.

yeah,, i had to go to baritone...

make sure you get some sort of cushioning stuff.. either a paste or whatever,,,it can get real irritating after a 4 hour practice.

I don't know if you're familiar with Chet Baker. He was a very famous jazz trumpeter, (West Coast Cool Jazz), in the late 1950s and 60s. He was also a heroin addict. He disappeared for awhile and made several comebacks. He had a tragic life and met a tragic end, but I digress.

He never played anything high, but what he played was sublime.

He lost his teeth while still fairly young and during one of his comebacks, played with no front teeth! There are some YouTube videos of him playing flugelhorn with his cheeks puffed way out and he had a real airy tone, but was still a genius.

Later, he got dentures and what a difference they made. He sounded as good as he did when he was young.

So it is possible, but you know, I would get several opinions from different dentists, in different practices before settling on a course of action.

Seriously, don't be afraid to do this. I have gotten second opinions that went against the first doctor's and things worked out for the best because I got the info I needed. If the doctor gets insulted or doesn't want you to do it, guess what? he ain't you're man or woman.

Twice with eye surgeries, I got second opinions that countered the first surgeon and time proved the second opinion to be correct.

Once with my right knee that got injured while exercising. My family doctor advised orthroscopic surgery and sent me, as a referral, to one of his colleagues. I had second thoughts and got a second opinion from a Doctor Craig, the orthopedic surgeon for the Philadelphia Flyers. Expensive consultation, but he advised against the surgery and prescribed a regimen of physical therapy which has since corrected the injury.

My former family doctor was insulted. My new family doctor is fine with second opinions.

The guy with the implant idea is correct. Implants are really the only way of supporting a full set of dentures. Assuming there are no other abutments to use for retention. Then it would be a partial. I've worked with implants specifically for about 5 years straight. Kinda fun actually. Trav