Preparing for Auditions

sokkerboie

As a professional actor/singer/dancer (with some credits in New York) I think the best things a performer can di to prepare for auditions are :

1. Prepare yourself technically - remember that many corps, guards, choreographers and directors have their own style. They want to see that you HAVE technique and that you are agile enough to perform with they technique they want and need. Too many guard programs (high school and independent) seem to teach that there is only THEIR way to spin and perform.......that's just not true. A good performer will be able to adapt to the technique of one ensemble and achieve techncal excellence and go to another ensemble and acheive technical excellence even though there may be some variances. The important thing is that as an ensemble there is recognizable and achievable technique.

2. Prepare yourself as a performer. Audiences like to see performers with a presence. Now there is a diffeence in ensemble performance (like in the chorus line of a show) where everyone really needs to look the same and no one individual should stand out. BUt performance is about communication and you should have a presence to yourself (confidence, pride, excitement, attitude, mood, tone, etc). Understand the show you are auditioning for and bing your ideas and thoughts to the audition. As a director I like to see performers who will make performacne choices but who will listen to what I say and do what I ask to achieve the overall general effect.

3. Treat auditions like a class/learning experience. Go in with the idea to learn as much as you can from the staff........the staff for no two grops are the same (strengths, weaknesses, ideas, etc). Learn about technique, performance, design while at the audition. This takes off a lot of the "I have to be the best", "I have to get this gig" stress and you have a much better time.

AND (MOST IMPORTANTLY) 4. Just go in with a GOOD/POSITIVE ATTITUDE. No one likes to work with #### poor attitudes all season. The better your attitude, the more likely you are to get that invitation to march or get hired or get called back. Directors want to see people who have skills, who are WILLING TO TAKE DIRECTION (no matter how bizzare - sometimes those strange directorial requests are just to test your attitude towards taking direction) and who LOVE wath they do.

Just thought I'd share some ideas and experiences as there are so many auditions coming up.

SAn Diego Alliance is the corps I teach - if you are interested in coming and learning from staff from Cadets, SC Vanguard, Blue Devils, Pride of Cincinnati.......and from professional experiences with Twyla Tharp, Mark Morris, Cirque de Soliel......come to the auditions

APRIL 26-27 9a-6p El Capitan High School

MAY 3-4 9a-6p El Capitan High School

CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR INFORMATION www.sandiegoalliance.org

or email me at cc_dancer@hotmail.com