Return Rate

What constitutes a successful return rate for the corps from year to year? Is it sheer numbers of vets from one year to the next, quality within those numbers or something else. Every year it seems that there are some vets that venture to "greener" pastures each season, which is fine, but I am curious to know the reason for their not returning to the corps for successive years. Is it talent level of the previous years members, is it education, is it the staff, is it the administration, is it placement, is it equipment, is it food, is it facilities, is it experience you gained from the summer, or sheer interest in another version of the activity. Just seeing what everyone thinks.

What constitutes a successful return rate for the corps from year to year? Is it sheer numbers of vets from one year to the next, quality within those numbers or something else. Every year it seems that there are some vets that venture to "greener" pastures each season, which is fine, but I am curious to know the reason for their not returning to the corps for successive years. Is it talent level of the previous years members, is it education, is it the staff, is it the administration, is it placement, is it equipment, is it food, is it facilities, is it experience you gained from the summer, or sheer interest in another version of the activity. Just seeing what everyone thinks.

When i did the colts and crossmen so 1990 -2001 - We felt there was problem if we were under 75 percent return of available members.

Means not counting age-outs or others that might have already committed to the military or something.

When students do not return it can be any combo of the things you mentioned .

Today another factor is some students know going in they are only going to march one summer . That being due enlarge to cost and them needing to work or take summer classes.

there are a billion reasons.. money being a big issue. I know for me... i have no money. I would take the summer off and work, but i can't pass up another opportunity to march. It has a lot to do with experience over the season, if it wasn't a good one, not many people are going to come back. I think money and ones personal experience with the corps are the two main things affecting return rates. And the experience relates to many of the topics you listed, especially staff. For others placement matters... I also know i really wanted to march with my favorite corps, but realized after a summer i couldn't leave the family i gained over the summer. but experience and money is a big deal.

I'm returning to my corps because the staff is great, the admin is amazing, the food is the best dci, i learned A LOT from my staff, and it's family.

I can count many times this summer where I hated everything and just wanted to go home. Put a lot of thought into whether I wanted to march this upcoming summer, and where I would go. A lot of things factored into that, including treatment of staff, other members, questioning if I made the right choice on how to spend my summer, and even my personal arrogance wondering why people couldn't pick up on things I found so simple. Lo and behold, come offseason and all I want is for this summer to arrive so I can be back with my corps for another great three months (after all days of course :sleeping:) Turned out to be just a couple of rough weeks that I soon got over and enjoyed the rest of my summer with the people I wouldn't get to see again for a while.

It still makes me happy to see corps that didn't necessarily have a "successful" season see an incredible retention rate. That says an awful lot about the corps and the experience one receives there. Winning isn't everything, it just generates a lot of interest for prospective members who think it is.

I can count many times this summer where I hated everything and just wanted to go home. Put a lot of thought into whether I wanted to march this upcoming summer, and where I would go. A lot of things factored into that, including treatment of staff, other members, questioning if I made the right choice on how to spend my summer, and even my personal arrogance wondering why people couldn't pick up on things I found so simple. Lo and behold, come offseason and all I want is for this summer to arrive so I can be back with my corps for another great three months (after all days of course :sleeping:) Turned out to be just a couple of rough weeks that I soon got over and enjoyed the rest of my summer with the people I wouldn't get to see again for a while.

It still makes me happy to see corps that didn't necessarily have a "successful" season see an incredible retention rate. That says an awful lot about the corps and the experience one receives there. Winning isn't everything, it just generates a lot of interest for prospective members who think it is.

:sleeping: too true!