Would you like to go to China?

Michael Boo

Windiana 2009

For the past three years, I’ve had the privilege of accepting an offer to go to China as composer-in-residence for Windiana, the professional concert band of northwest Indiana. (I’ve written several works each year that are premiered on the trip, including a number of Chinese sing-alongs, folk songs and encore works such as Chinese television theme songs.)

This year, the highlight was performing as the opening act for a rock concert in Quingdao (Tsingtao) in a soccer stadium for the kick-off to the Olympics. (The city hosted the sailing events.) My fanfare based on a provincial folk song about the ocean was featured on national television across the country.

This has been a really excellent ensemble all three years and the trips within China have been incredible, with lots of sightseeing opportunities. Chinese professors who teach at Valparaiso University (in northwest Indiana) lead the trip. Lodging and meals are superb and there are many visits to craft bazaars and specialty shops.

Since many members of the regular Windiana ensemble can’t take off work or whatever to make the trip, we’ve always opened the China trip up anyone interested and have had members come in from around the country.

The cost for performers is $2800 and for non-performing guests $3300. This includes international round trip travel from and to Chicago, transportation in China, room (three star hotels or better, double occupancy) and board, admissions, travel insurance in China, and bus from and to Valparaiso (IN) and O’Hare Airport. The fee does not include passport expenses, Chinese visa fee ($130), and personal, incidental expenses while in China.

All participants must possess valid passports no later than March 31, 2009. Roosevelt Institute will handle application for Chinese entry visas.

The triip dates in 2009 are June 4-17. (This might change slightly due to venues and airplane tickets.)

Tentative itinerary: Chicago-Shanghai-Wenzhou-Chendu (and a four-day trip to Jiuzhaigou Nature Reserve*)-Hangzhou-Nanjing-Shanghai-Chicago.

Jiuzhaigou Nature Reserve is described as the “gem” of China’s natural beauties. Located in Northern Sichuan Province and next to Tibet, it literally means “nine (Tibetan) village gully” that opens your eyes to snow-crusted mountain peaks, forests, and meadows, home to protected takins, golden monkeys, and pandas. (Lonely Planet, China, p. 795).

There will be 5-6 formal, individual or joint concerts. Performers were black tuxes (men) or black dresses (women).

We welcome performers in all sections, but we particularly need flutes, one more alto saxophone, trumpets, trombones and another tuba. Another percussionist would be cool, too. I take all the percussion equipment (except bass drum) that we need, which this year was eight cases.

I encourage you to e-mail me for any info on this or prior trips: boomike@aol.com

Also, contact Jeff Doebler, director of the band, as soon as possible for more information and an application. His address is jeff.doebler@valpo.edu.

I can’t stress how satisfying you would find this trip to be.

Michael Boo

would an audition be necessary?

would an audition be necessary?

NO. The music would come several weeks in advance. It's nothing that's going to kill anyone's chops. There's lots of music because the repertoires change from concert to concert. It's as much fun as I've ever had playing in a band, the tours are incredible and everyone has a great time.

Go for it! You will thank me frequently for encouraging you to do so.

Mike

You say this is a "professional" band. But it costs $2800 to play a gig? Something's wrong with this picture.

We are a professional band (that plays for free) during the school year. We're professional in that during the school year, the band is comprised of largely professional musicians who are in the band by invitation only.

Any monies we make from ticket sales during the year goes towards buying music and other expenses.

For the China trip, many of our regular members can't go for various reasons, so we open it up to all.

No large ensemble is going to fly all the way to China and stay in three/four star hotels with all meals provided and transportation within the country for two weeks for free. We do it as an outreach.

Windiana is known as a professional band. The China trip is not typical of what we do the rest of the year.

But we're the ones that really get the education.

If I didn't have drum corps to save up for, I'd jump on it. But alas, I must hoard my earnings. Wait till I age out, then I'll be interested.

If I didn't have drum corps to save up for, I'd jump on it. But alas, I must hoard my earnings. Wait till I age out, then I'll be interested.

It's an annual thing, so it will still be around. Being that it's in June, no corps would be happy about a member disappearing for two weeks at the start of the season.

Although the trip is annual, it's quite different every year. 2009 is focused around the panda reserve. 2008 was the Li River boat trip and performing for Olympics preview events in the city where the Olympic sailing events were held.

Having been on all three, I can't say enough about it.

I'd love to hear from potential players in all sections. Anyone coming through drum corps would be a superb addition.

Edited by Michael Boo

• 4 weeks later...

Instrumentation is shaping up nicely, though we would still take any percussionists interested.

However, we have a particular need for trumpets and tubas. If you know of a trumpet or tuba player who might be interested in this, please let them know. Thank you.