Tuba/contra mouthpieces

Old School Contra Guy

When I switch horns, I generally research the mouthpiece a lot. Only so much money. And I end up getting the popular models (or relative sizes) for LARGE, MIDDLE, and SMALL. Although I generally have a starter mouthpiece to base what is L/M/S for me relative to that piece. For Tuba since the pieces are so freaking expensive to start with, I went with an LM-10 (SMALL), G&W Caver (LARGE), and G&W Alan Baer (MIDDLE). I also had a Helleberg STD, which felt small to me.

One thing I noticed going to Tuba from Euph was that I needed the larger mouthpiece to speed up the conditioning to that horn/octave. And to use when I haven't played Tuba for a while. But once I have some time on the horn, I can use the smaller pieces (relative to large). Hope this helps.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been marching for a couple years and I usually played on a Helleburg but this past season I switched to the IYM Maximus L. OMG. It was a huge change and it took alot of getting used to but once I got used to it, it was beautiful. Took ALOT of air because of how deep it is and your lips didnt get tired after playing it all day. They are a little bit pricey but if I had to recommend anyone a mouthpiece that would be it.

Edited by SkysTheLimit

I'm thinking about getting back in the saddle after a long layoff. I had an early Hellberg that got stollen. I have a Bach 24. Should I try to find another Hellberg ? We're talking All-age corps.

Let's see...you're in Topeka, right?

And you're considering an all-ages corps?

The only one within eight hours would be...um, us.

So, you're looking at joining up with Prairie Sound?

TAFL

I've always considered the Conn Helleberg (the 7B or whatever it's termed) to be a good basic mouthpiece for contra. I've always found that Bach mouthpieces have a more airy sound, so I've always gone for the sharper rim. But it's a matter of what sounds best on your face, which is hard to say without being able to hear you.

Let's see...you're in Topeka, right?

And you're considering an all-ages corps?

The only one within eight hours would be...um, us.

So, you're looking at joining up with Prairie Sound?

TAFL

I hope he does come down and give us a try. We have 5 Contras to pick from at the moment.

Tuba mouthpieces are weird because there is no standard for being able to tell how large or small a mouthpiece is. The 24AW is a good mouthpiece, but it has a distinctly round inner rim which is comfortable to play on for a long period of time, will be more difficult to attack cleanly in the lower range. The sharper the inner rim, the easier it will be to attack lower notes. But too sharp and you will get an ugly red ring around your lips.

When I look at mouthpieces, I look at the shape of the rim first. A large, wide rim width is more comfortable to play on, but usually means a smaller cup, meaning slightly smaller sound, The thin rims are good for sound, but tend to be uncomfortable after a while. I suggest trying the Yamaha 67C4, or if you want a slightly more professional mouthpiece, the Bach 18 is one of the most popular. Helleberg's are popular, but I personally think they are very uncomfortable due to the inner rim being too sharp, and the overall diameter of the contact surface to your face being too narrow.

But too sharp and you will get an ugly red ring around your lips

This will happen on any rim if you're using too much pressure; a lot of the time if you're playing for an extended period it will happen anyway. My band does 2 to 3 hour shows where I'm playing almost constantly and it's hard to not end up with at least a slight ring after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've played all kinds of mouthpieces on all kinds of horns and I'll agree with most of the posters here -- it's all about what feels good and right for your face. I personally play on and love the standard Helleberg. Feels good on my face. Never been much of an equipment junkie -- it's more about the air and less about the metal.

Hopefully you can find a great local brass shop and try out a bunch of different stuff and find the best fit for you. If you can get hooked up with a corps or brass group, the tuba/contra guys (and gals) may have pieces to try as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've played all kinds of mouthpieces on all kinds of horns and I'll agree with most of the posters here -- it's all about what feels good and right for your face. I personally play on and love the standard Helleberg. Feels good on my face. Never been much of an equipment junkie -- it's more about the air and less about the metal.

Hopefully you can find a great local brass shop and try out a bunch of different stuff and find the best fit for you. If you can get hooked up with a corps or brass group, the tuba/contra guys (and gals) may have pieces to try as well. :)

Also, bigger is now always better. I have a Dillon PS-01 that I bought to use on my 5/4 Kanstul G contra. I then tried it in my tuba and it actually made it play flat........I'm not a serious enough player to be thrown off by a mouthpiece, so switching back to a smaller size wasnt a huge issue, but more serious players will not like the idea of having to switch around