What is it?

I've been watching the DCI 2008 DVD and I thought I knew a lot about percussion equipment, but this one has me stumped. In the later part of Madison's show, a group of guys (8 of them to be exact) are sitting on something that looks like wooden boxes and they are hitting them like bongos. From what I can tell the sound the instrument is making is like sand when you're scooping it.

Is that the pit playing the instrument? What is that wooden box called they are playing and what type of effect does it give?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

I can't remember the word. They are called the Cuban word for "box". When my son gets up I'll ask him.

Are you the guy I met in "Cracker Barrel" yesterday ?

Bill Leslie

Go Scouts !!!

Cajon is right.

Edited by Bill L.

Its a cajon. It's also used in the Glassmen 07 pit intro. If you listen to that it may give you a better idea of the sound it produces. You sit on the box, and then play it. It primarily has two sound. Striking in the middle with a more full palm will give you a bass tone, or playing near the top has a punchy sound due to a snare strain on the inside of the box. You use many of the similar hand drumming techniques of a conga or djembe with bass tones and slaps and even pitch bends available as you can use your foot on the box to change the pitch. Glassmen 08 also used a cajon, however now in a traditional use. It was mounted sideways off the xylophone and playing primarily with brushes.

Cajon. Another instrument brought to you by amplification.

Its a cajon. It's also used in the Glassmen 07 pit intro. If you listen to that it may give you a better idea of the sound it produces. You sit on the box, and then play it. It primarily has two sound. Striking in the middle with a more full palm will give you a bass tone, or playing near the top has a punchy sound due to a snare strain on the inside of the box. You use many of the similar hand drumming techniques of a conga or djembe with bass tones and slaps and even pitch bends available as you can use your foot on the box to change the pitch. Glassmen 08 also used a cajon, however now in a traditional use. It was mounted sideways off the xylophone and playing primarily with brushes.

So now that you've aged out, would it be accurate for me to say that you no longer have any cajones? :o)

Meinl has some cajons that can are shaped and played like a conga/bongos. Pretty cool stuff. They also have some with pickups now, so all you have to do is plug up a quarter-inch cable and you're good to go.

I can't remember the word. They are called the Cuban word for "box". When my son gets up I'll ask him.

Are you the guy I met in "Cracker Barrel" yesterday ?

Bill Leslie

Go Scouts !!!

Cajon is right.

No not me. I live in Jackson TN. I wore my Scouts Jacket out a few nights ago and I met a guy from the Cavies and a gal that marched in Spirit in late 80s. Small world sometimes isn't it.