What trumpet should I get?/Accessories?

OdeToArsenal47

I'm getting my first trumpet with some Christmas money soon, and I was wondering which you would recommend.

http://www.wwbw.com/Kohlert-410L-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i759557.music

It's a lot cheaper, but it doesn't look as nice and probably doesn't sound as good, either. I do get more money for accessories and whatnot, though.

http://www.wwbw.com/Barrington-BRG101-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i125958.music#custReviews

This one looks a lot nicer, and I can pay a little extra to get it in silver, too. The problem is that I'd only have about $30-$50 left, so I'd have to skimp on accessories/books/etc.

Which would be the better buy? Also, what should I get with this trumpet? Can you recommend some books or something? And what about mouthpieces? Both come with one (7C, I'm pretty sure). Should I start on a 7C, or should I spend some/all of my remaining money on another mouthpiece?

If you go with the Barrington Spend the extra 30 bucks and get it in Silver Plate. I frequent Sax on the web and the Kohlerts get horrible reviews and a lot of people are impressed with the Barringtons. I almost bought a Barrington Tenor Sax before I got a deal my Cannonball. Nice thing with WWBW is they stand behind what they sell. If you call in your order today you can save 20%

WWBW offers a trumpet starter kit. I highly recommend that also.

http://www.wwbw.com/Selmer-Trumpet-Starter-Kit-i771357.music

At this level, this is a tough question.

Obviously, money is the key factor and what you can get for it.

The Barrington, assuming they are of the same entry level construction,(which you definitely can't tell by looks alone), is the better deal. It looks more substantial and has a first slide thumb hook.

Woodwind and Brasswind mail order, are pretty good about returns if you don't like it, but then there's shipping to take care of.

Have you checked out any local music stores to see about used horns? You may be able to get a good intermediate, used horn at the price you're able to spend. The better horn will definitely serve you better. Research it and some name brands like Yamaha, Jupiter, Getzen, Blessing, etc.

A friend recently purchased an Amati, which is a lot better than I thought it would be. Also, the Blessing ML1 is a great trumpet and value priced, especially used. I used a Blessing ML1 for a couple of years while I was researching some pro horns and the thing was bullet proof construction wise. I think it's underrated. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, trumpet geeks love to discuss these things...it's fun and I hope the info people provide helps.

A 7C mouthpiece should be perfect for a beginner. Most trumpets come with one or a 3C. Mouthpiece wouldn't necessarily be a priority at a beginning level, however, some manufacturers make more comfortable rims than Bach and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Yamaha 11C for a beginner over a Bach 7C. Both are inexpensive.

If you only had money for one method book...that question is a little tougher now, than when I was a kid, but still I'd recommend the Arban's Complete Method.

Good luck to you. The trumpet and all the brass instruments are great fun to play, if you don't stress out too much about it.

Edited by Martybucs

I do not know where you live, but if there are "real" music stores in your area, not those places that only sell guitars and drums, they can be a great resource. Many music stores have used horns and you could possibly get a higher quality horn for the same as one of these horns.

I like WWBW, however I really like to support local music stores. If we don't, soon all we will have is mail order.

As for a mouthpiece, if you get a horn from WWBW, you could go with the 7c supplied with the horn. The 7c somehow became the "standard" beginer mouthpiece, but if it doesn't seem to "work" for you, go to a local music store. They can see what your mouth is doing and give you some guidance.

Since you already read music, a beginer trumpet book may be a waste of money. I would suggest looking into this book: The Ultimate Warm-up by Michael Droste This book has a fingering chart and goes through the basics of playing trumpet as well as giving you a good progression to more advanced techniques. After you work through this book, get the Arban Complete Method" but go for the version with annotations by Allen Vizzutti. You can get it HERE

Which ever way you decide to go, have fun and enjoy. Don't get frustrated. Find some guidance and take some lessons to help get you started.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

You can expect this thread to run for multi pages as everybody tells you THEIR favorite trumpet. Don't even think of asking for mouthpiece recommendations !!!

Go on eBay and bid on a nice-looking Olds Ambassador. They haven't been made for thirty years but are still the most durable student trumpet ever built, and are even still being used by some pros. Repair parts are sill plentiful. Figure to spend 100-150 bux for a decent one, buy a few accessories, and have plenty of cash left over.

Stay far away from the third world stuff, there's no servicing available. Stick with established domestic brands.

I'd recommend finding a used Holton t602, the BEST beginner horn(and even some pros use it) you can get them for about $150 or a king tempo(a close 2nd) which you can usually find for under $100

A little OT, but when I was a kid, I had saved money and bought my first trumpet for $100.00 in about 1968. It was a Bach Mercedes in silver plate. Later, I found out that Bach rebadged their Strads to sell to the Navy at a reduced price. A salesman from Bach factory told me this. It was made in 1945 is a .453" bore. I thought it was great at the time and used it for about 20 years until I tried a new horn, the Blessing I mentioned earlier, and went, "Wow, that old Bach sucked by comparison!"

Ended up with a Yamaha signature horn. Point is, if you go to a music store and try some horns, (even if you don't know what you're doing), you may find something special you like about a horn, over another one you try.

The Holton and especially the OLDS Ambassador are legendary performers.

I also mentioned you'd get a ton of advice. People want to help and want to have fun discussing things here.

So far, the one solid piece of advice is to stay away from the new 3rd world horns. It will sound like a trumpet, but they are definitely made to a budget. You would have to treat it like glass to have it last.

EditMy Yamaha Mike Vax plays great, but is the most fragile horn I've ever owned. Don't know if other Yamahas are that way.

Edited by Martybucs

I'm getting my first trumpet with some Christmas money soon, and I was wondering which you would recommend.

http://www.wwbw.com/Kohlert-410L-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i759557.music

It's a lot cheaper, but it doesn't look as nice and probably doesn't sound as good, either. I do get more money for accessories and whatnot, though.

http://www.wwbw.com/Barrington-BRG101-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i125958.music#custReviews

This one looks a lot nicer, and I can pay a little extra to get it in silver, too. The problem is that I'd only have about $30-$50 left, so I'd have to skimp on accessories/books/etc.

Which would be the better buy? Also, what should I get with this trumpet? Can you recommend some books or something? And what about mouthpieces? Both come with one (7C, I'm pretty sure). Should I start on a 7C, or should I spend some/all of my remaining money on another mouthpiece?

I would get neither and would go with a Blessing or Jupiter. A good resource for a used horn that you can actually touch is a franchise called Music go Round, also some good deals on Craig's list. I've bought Olds,Holton and Blessing horns at Music go Round for students in excellent shape for under $250.They also have stands, mouthpices and some have books too.

first things first, i wasnt able to access the link but i did figure out which 2 they were. i would go with the barrington, it has the thumb saddle and if you get into trumpet you'll learn that its used occasionally and you might regret not having it.

get the silver they look nicer...

all i can say is i hate blessing mouthpieces. i somehow came across a blessing 3c and hate it. i also have a bach 3b and 7c and a stork custom vacchiano 3c. that is my only real useful peace of info, blessing=bad mouthpiece IMO

the 3b and 3c are probably the most comfortable mouthpieces ive played on and i get a great tone from them.

http://www.storkcustom.com/html/vacchiano_...20update06.html

^my mouthpiece^

in hs we had essential elements known started calling it the black book in our lower band classes and a blue book as we called it that was mainly scale variations and chorales in our highest band class.

i do own an arbans book but i got it after i knew how to play so im not sure how well it would help a beginner, also have clarke technical studies.

my opinion go to a local hs and ask the band director or if your next to a university email someone in their music department and ask if you can get contact info on their trumpet/brass instructor. that would be your best bet for a book.

when i was younger i liked the books that came with a cd you could play with and copy the rythyms but that was when i was still learning all that stuff

Edited by doyle079

[snip]

all i can say is i hate blessing mouthpieces. i somehow came across a blessing 3c and hate it. i also have a bach 3b and 7c and a stork custom vacchiano 3c. that is my only real useful peace of info, blessing=bad mouthpiece

[/snip]

This is a generalization based solely on your preference. I know some players that use Blessing Mouthpieces and play very well.

Stork has a very good reputation, but are a bit pricey for someone scraping money together to get a horn.

Mouthpiece selection is a very personal thing, but most medium mouthpieces from any company would suffice for a beginner.