Contra Bell Protection

bigken

Does anyone know who sells the elastic fabric rings that go over the rims of the contra bells?

Use rubber fuel hose slit down one side. It holds on pretty well, it's more durable than fabric, and less visible so you can just leave it on all the time.

no one sells it...they are usually made by someone in the line, or someone who knows how to do it. i've seen both cloth and rubber tubing sliced along the side. both work well...but you do loose some sound from it during music arcs as the bells are not allowed to vibrate completely freely. i recommend using it for vis rehearsals only

but you do loose some sound from it during music arcs as the bells are not allowed to vibrate completely freely. i recommend using it for vis rehearsals only

I don't buy that. It's an insignificant amount of rubber tubing or an even more insignificant amount of cloth, it's not going to make any kind of noticeable difference in the sound. Maybe if you're Superman, but I will put good money that in a blind test you couldn't tell the difference.

The problem with the cloth ones is that they start absorbing nastiness pretty quickly, and after a while it's like wearing the same pair of gloves all season--they do more damage than without the rings because you're constantly rubbing the bell in more and more dirt and nastiness.

When I taught SCV, we used stretchy fabric steering wheel covers. Here's an example:

511WhaSduHL.jpg

Edited by randomnoise

Does anyone know who sells the elastic fabric rings that go over the rims of the contra bells?

Let me know what your looking for and we can make them. Fabric, color, rim size. We made them for St Kevin Emerald Knights.

Fish tank vacuum hose tubing. Available at WalMart, and just the right size. Less than $10 for a 72" tube with enough inner space to compensate for the wire rim. And enough extra to not run short. Be sure to cut it a little long since it will slacken from the initial fitting.

As far as negatively affecting the sound, I've yet to see a contra with a wireless rim. So I doubt it deadens anything any more than wire plus solder plus bent edge around said supports.

As far as steering wheel covers, they are not all that stretchy these days. And the contras seem to have variant specs from 17" to 22" diameters. And even if the manufacturer specs are 21", it's probably 20.6" +/- 0.5" in practice.

I think the cloth ones look cool. But they tend to soil and wear quickly, IMO.