Mid Hudson Valley of New York

I assume it is Brian? Thank you for the thoughtful reply. It will be a fun challenge you face. I wish you the best of luck, truly. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

I never meant to sound as if I wouldn't love to see more corps in the state, regional or otherwise, I just speak from experience when I say, recruiting is a nightmare(everywhere, I know, but specifically in eastern NY) and as you expand your geographic reach, you to will start to see your efforts reaching 100+ miles in every direction fairly quickly. (I supposes that is just my opinion, until it is proven to be true)

As Tom pointed out, the highs schools, (and even younger) are the area in which to focus your efforts.

~Tom, I can always count on you to put me in my place(uh, I mean, put things into perspective for me! :rolleyes: )

I certainly was not bashing to efforts or the proposed interest of a new corps. I think growth of the activity is always awesome, and contrary to some, I believe growth to be DCI, DCA, WGI, MCA and now Arena Corps, so I am not for one genre over another, although I do draw the line at saxophones!

Keith, you are right, definitely not knocking a parade corps....you have got to start some where.

Again, good luck.

Art

Hi Brian, i marched in the kingston indians and the pacers and also the vagabonds in my jr corps days I marched with the Sunrisers up untill 2007, and then retired. Let me know when you are stating up and i will stop over to check things out.

Oh man, I remember watching the Criterions performing their field show after marching a parade in the 80's. I had some friends that marched in the Indians. Unfortunately they folded before I had a chance to march with them.

I remember that day as well, Brain. I'll bet I was standing right next to you! ;-) THey were playing New World! I believe Sun was in the parade that day too, right?

There's no such thing as too many drum corps! Good luck!

Awesome responses so far, thanks. It's good to see there are real drum corps people in the Hudson Valley. There's a surprising number of former Cabs and Sky alumni here.

In response to some of the questions I've received so far:

We have mostly Kanstul G bugles, and a complete set of Yamaha drums.

We are looking for a Director's advisory board as well.

We are planning our base of operations in the dutchess/orange county region along the Interstate 84 and 87 corridors.

Keep the questions coming. This is great.

I wish you the best and hope to see the Corps soon.

Lydia

I remember that day as well, Brain. I'll bet I was standing right next to you! ;-) THey were playing New World! I believe Sun was in the parade that day too, right?

There's no such thing as too many drum corps! Good luck!

hmmm...I don't see the Falcons band in your signature, but if you were getting ready to play copacabana then you would have been standing with a bunch of us. The Mid Hudson Rivermen had just finished their field show and the Criterions were just starting to play theirs when our management rounded us up to play for the crowd. They didn't like us mingling with other groups for fear the members would see greener pastures. :smile:

I do miss the green and white though.

Hi Brian, i marched in the kingston indians and the pacers and also the vagabonds in my jr corps days I marched with the Sunrisers up untill 2007, and then retired. Let me know when you are stating up and i will stop over to check things out.

Cool, you did the whole mid-hudson valley circuit. I ran into a Baritone player from the Kingston Indians at my job. I was wearing a blue devils shirt and he started talking drum corps. No one retires from drumcorps. We just take a little time off until we're reminded about what we loved about it. :smile:

hmmm...I don't see the Falcons band in your signature, but if you were getting ready to play copacabana then you would have been standing with a bunch of us. The Mid Hudson Rivermen had just finished their field show and the Criterions were just starting to play theirs when our management rounded us up to play for the crowd. They didn't like us mingling with other groups for fear the members would see greener pastures. :smile:

I do miss the green and white though.

Uh, huh! You did get the colors right!

Uh, huh! You did get the colors right!

How could I forget. We used to get teased all the time, because it was a flourescent neon green. We really stood out at night. lol

I must admit it was a cool uniform. I did hate the aussie hats though. They held too much heat in the summer time.

Brian,

I am hearing others talk about this initiative.

I will be sending you my info offline to add to your prospective member list.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

:tounge2:

Edited by stuckvalve

Cool, you did the whole mid-hudson valley circuit. I ran into a Baritone player from the Kingston Indians at my job. I was wearing a blue devils shirt and he started talking drum corps. No one retires from drumcorps. We just take a little time off until we're reminded about what we loved about it. :thumbup:

I saw this thread tonight and wanted to throw my best wishes on the stack. We have an all-age corps here in Cincy with a twenty-five year history that is working to return to the competitive arena. I'm sure it will happen for us and I'm sure it will happen for you. Meanwhile, we are enjoying the process. As long as y'all enjoy what you're doing, Congratulations! You win!

Then I saw your "No one retires.." line. You are so right. If drum corps to gets you, you eventually have to get back in it. I laid out for twenty-odd years and had to get back in. Now I'm having the time of my life. Here's hoping that your bunch will have the same experience.

Robert