spare drum heads

confused

How should replacement drum heads be stored? Should they be horizontal or vertical?

I'm asking because I don't know the best way to store them on an equipment truck that is cramped for space and that needs to be re-organized for the upcoming season.

I have answers to my question from three instructors that range from: vertically, horizontally, and it doesn't matter. Which answer is the best?

Really, storage position --per se-- will have no affect on them whatsoever.

I would, however, stow the heads where they won't be compressed/bent by heavy weight or other forces. Drum heads are designed specifically for one set of mechanical stresses. Anything outside those parameters could compromise their performance.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

May I add that metal hoops rubbing the heads cause visual pain. I learned this lesson the hard way when I opened a bin of lose bass heads and found that they were worn from weeks on the road. The white heads had metal "rubbings" on them that did not come off. My solution was to keep each head in a plastic bag.

I would recommend keeping replacement heads in the boxes, or bag them. Also, store them so they don't get tossed around too much in the truck. I really don't think vertical or horizontal matters, just don't let them compress either way.

My preference is to store them vertically in their original boxes, much like books sitting on a library shelf.

The boxes are labeled on the edge, so I can easily tell them apart without having to pull out a bunch of heads. Is it a batter head? Snare side? Suede/Pinstripe/Frost/whatever?

Storing heads in their original boxes keeps 'em from getting scuffed up like Jonny mentioned.

Storing them vertically means I'll never have to fish out heads from the bottom of the pile. It also means that there's no chance a head will get bent or deformed under the weight of a stack of heads.

If you're super cramped for space, you might not have the luxury of keeping heads in their boxes. If that's the case, put each head in its own plastic bag (garbage bags work well) and put your heads where they're not getting squished/bent/scuffed/trampled. It won't matter whether they're stored vertically or horizontally.

Edited by SkyDog

I keep my spare heads in a rubbermaid tub (for snare and tenor). The school I teach at doesn't go through nearly as many bass heads as snare/tenor (usually the only time they get changed is when i get tired of seeing them all scuffed up from a couple of months' wear), so I keep those tucked away in a storage room. I also go for the in-box, verticle storage

Please keep this thread active, I want to know as much as possible about proper storage as possible!

I don't play any instrument, I never marched, but my kid did. I've been asked to try to improve the storage of spares for all of the equipment.

I'm just part of the (invisible) support staff - I want to get it right!

for percussion equipment in general, make sure everything that contains it is padded. Make sure no drums are sitting on top of delicate parts (snare strainers, etc). I think timpani are supposed to be stored with half tension on the pedal. Keyboard instruments should always be covered if not in use, and they are NOT tables.

we use an old square fiber snare drum case, and store them on edge,...........this works for both boxed heads and heads in bags..................and if the case fits nicely on a shelf, they will be well proteched from being crushed,.................bass and timpani heads usually take the worst beating on the road, I don't have a good idea for them,.............