Colorguard technique question

wolfgang

This question is directed at anyone who was at WGI Ind. World prelims in Dayton this year.

I am not a guard person, I am a brass player, but want to learn a bit about technique.

Of the 21 guards in the IW prelims, the one who got the most crowd response was South Shore Drill Team from Chicago. They finished 18th and didn't make finals.

The reason they got such great response was because (I believe) they did many entertaining trick tosses/catches (and caught them, which I understand some higher placing guards had troubles with in finals). I saw them at a WGI regional earlier in the year and they also got huge response, but since most of the crowd at finals was (my assumption) "in the know" about technique, etc., I was slightly surprised their response was so huge (based on comments reference below)....

Now, to me, a novice, they were very entertaining.

As far a movement (I know little to nothing), my untrained eyes could tell they didn't move as "gracefully" as other guards, but then again their show was Eminem music; would ballet technique fit with that? Hip-hop dance moves seemed much more appropriate.

Ok, after the above rant, here is my question-

I have heard guard people complain about South Shore "yes, they're entertaining but they don't use correct technique".....

So, please educate me about what they are doing that is "incorrect".

For the most part I saw rifles spin together and land in the hands of the performers.

Please teach away.

Our guard got killed on movement last year. We did more spins and equipment work than most of the other guards.

I tried getting clear-cut answers from judges on exactly what we needed, but every judge had a different answer. We didn't use the floor enough, we didn't have enough movement around the whole gym floor. (that was hard with only 6 girls...). I was very frustrated because I think it's become an unwritten requirement that body movement is more important than what a person can do with their weapon.

We also have a group in our circut that do awesome things with their equipment, they are so fun to watch and always get a standing ovation. They never get very high marks though. How can the crowd be so fired up for a guard and they not do well? :whip:

I don't get it either, but I'm learning.

When it comes to technique it gets challenging. SOme gorups do things differently than others wtih equipment. The main thing is that the technique is consistent between members of that ensemble (including things like hand placement on the eq, free hand placement when not on the eq, and all variances of boldy position as eq is being manipulated). There is a lot of "standard" technique, but a lot of variances on standard technique also. It's difficult to describe technique in a forum as it would take pages to put to paper the technique for all eq.

As far as movemnet, there is recognized techniqe in teh dance community for ballet, jazz, modern, tap, and even hip hop. For years ballet has been a foundational element for all other dance so technique really moves and flows between all styles. As far as ballet for an Eminem tune, I think it comes down to what they are attempting to accomplish from an artistic standpoint........I have seen a professional ballet company perform to Prince music that was AMAZING. The big thing with dance, in my oppinion, is that students should be taught some RECGNIZED tecnique as opposed to just the way some instructor "wants" to teach dance technique - because many are teaching INCORRECTLY!

And I would hope that the consistencies in technique with eq would lead to some kind of world standard.......we are close and it's kind of unwritten in some areas but a lot of instructors take a lot of liberty also.

Hope that helps some. If you want more info email me at cc_dancer@hotmail.com

Chad COrnwell

I am from the same wg circuit as Dacolorguard and I know of what guard she is speaking of. I didn't get to see South Shore so I can't really say much about them.

One thing to look at if you are looking for technique is what is happening under the toss. I know most people are just looking @ that huge rifle toss...but really look under it. Look to see if everyone has the same free hands, look to see if their feet are all the same way. Did they all toss the same way? Meaning did they plie, didn't they? Did they all do the same thing? When they caught their equipment did they all catch in the same place/way?

This isn't against any guard, these are just things you can look for. Also there is no one set technique in guard. Lot of guards do things differently. So one guard may catch their rifle @ the end,while the other guard may catch 3 fists away. But if the whole guard is doing the same then it's fine.

Anyways any guard can chuck some weapon up into the air, these are just some of the things that set good guards apart from great guards.

*gasp*

Ohmigoodness! Do you mean that SpinninChick and I are on the same page on something relating to guard?

Call the papers!

Just kiddin' ya, Chick! Yes, all of those things and more.