WOW @ SCV's 94, Corona's 92, and Flanagan's 91

TKYR_FA1986

For the life of me, I don't see a 3-way race. I know you are a fan of Logan and I do think they are a fantastic guard. I just believe both Avon and Flanagan are superior this year. Who knows, I might be proven wrong but I wouldn't shocked if either Avon or Flanagan took it this year. I would be TOTALLY shocked if Logan won....

I wouldn't be too surprised if Logan won again this year but I'm expecting that it will go to Avon finally. After watching the Tampa and Indianapolis videos I can't help but agree with others feelings that Flanagan is lacking in their vocab. Their shows, while always exciting seem to be the same more or less every year. They just use different soundtracks and voiceovers. Logan and Avon, on the other hand tend to have completely different themes each year while just carrying over certain elements i.e. Avon's movement ripples or Logan's rifle line. So for me I would be shocked if Flanagan won.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be too surprised if Logan won again this year but I'm expecting that it will go to Avon finally. After watching the Tampa and Indianapolis videos I can't help but agree with others feelings that Flanagan is lacking in their vocab. Their shows, while always exciting seem to be the same more or less every year. They just use different soundtracks and voiceovers. Logan and Avon, on the other hand tend to have completely different themes each year while just carrying over certain elements i.e. Avon's movement ripples or Logan's rifle line. So for me I would be shocked if Flanagan won.

Don't you think that pretty much everyone's show is kinda like last years, other than NEI of course. They are the only guard that went in a totally different direction. Minus the soundtrack, uniforms, and floor pretty much everyone is in the same style as their previous shows. Logan, Flanagan, Avon, SCV, and Corona. That's gonna happen when you have the same person design the show, their signature style is all over it.

My Mom told me (in a southern accent) "Honey, there ain't nothin' new under the sun"

Don't you think that pretty much everyone's show is kinda like last years, other than NEI of course. They are the only guard that went in a totally different direction. Minus the soundtrack, uniforms, and floor pretty much everyone is in the same style as their previous shows. Logan, Flanagan, Avon, SCV, and Corona. That's gonna happen when you have the same person design the show, their signature style is all over it.

My Mom told me (in a southern accent) "Honey, there ain't nothin' new under the sun"

I have to say I heard this in the stands: 'Flanagan 2009, just like last year... only in blue'

For the life of me, I don't see a 3-way race. I know you are a fan of Logan and I do think they are a fantastic guard. I just believe both Avon and Flanagan are superior this year. Who knows, I might be proven wrong but I wouldn't shocked if either Avon or Flanagan took it this year. I would be TOTALLY shocked if Logan won....

Yea I am fan of Logan but I don't look at them with rose colored glasses on either, if I thought their show didn't stand a chance I wouldn't say it does. To be honest I don't think Avons or Flanagan shows are superior to Logans, although I have to say I don't really care for Logans ending. I thought Flanagans show was lacking in design, Avons and Logans show desings are far more complex then Flanagans. Actually Logan and Avons shows are totally different from their last seasons shows....Flanagan not so much. I don't know why it would be so shocking for Logan to win again, I mean they have done it 10 times before lol =) But I think it's going to be a battle between Avon and Logan for gold with Avon taking gold, Logan with the silver, and Flanagan in 3rd

Edited by kcee

Yea I am fan of Logan but I don't look at them with rose colored glasses on either, if I thought their show didn't stand a chance I wouldn't say it does. To be honest I don't think Avons or Flanagan shows are superior to Logans, although I have to say I don't really care for Logans ending. I thought Flanagans show was lacking in design, Avons and Logans show desings are far more complex then Flanagans. Actually Logan and Avons shows are totally different from their last seasons shows....Flanagan not so much. I don't know why it would be so shocking for Logan to win again, I mean they have done it 10 times before lol =) But I think it's going to be a battle between Avon and Logan for gold with Avon taking gold, Logan with the silver, and Flanagan in 3rd

As much as I love Logan, I would not be to surprised or saddened by this result. Avon is fighting hard this year and seeing their show online a few times makes me feel they must break the runner-up curse they've suffered for too long. Logan's gonna be doing their best as well so it will definitely be a great show come finals. I have a feeling it's gonna come down to has the cleanest show with the Big 3. On another note, any one see any outside shots for a medal?? I'm seeing that Carmel is scoring pretty well this year and well, Arcadia beat Logan in movement this past weekend! LOL screwy judge...

Since I've only seen Avon's show live (Dayton) and not the others, I can only confidently comment on them. I think this show could be the sentimentalist's favorite. For me, this show, called “Release,” is about color guard and the emotional stages of a season. Throughout the show, performers embrace, share moments, push away, and reconnect. There is emotional tension, much like develops in the typical guard season. I would imagine that as other guards watch this show, they can easily see themselves in it. In fact, the very moments at the end of the final show that occur once each guard has left the arena – the hugs, the tears, the final letting go of the show and the season – are echoed in this production. And the theme appears to be carried out to the end, performers dropping to the floor in apparent emotional exhaustion, as the final two dancers embrace and then part. I think that Avon’s staff must have had that moment of a guard’s existence in mind, as each unit ceases to exist in its present form once the final performance has been completed. For the seniors in the scholastic units, this show could be quite a tear-jerker!

I would be lying if I said I didn't understand that opinion.

Neither do I. Truth be told since Flanagan is the 2008 Scholastic World Champions they must have done something right last year .... in burgundy. I hear Flanagans critics say their shows are the same more or less every year, etc. What would they like to see Flanagan do differently .... a show about a rodeo complete with rodeo clowns, a show about Barry Manilow music ... they could reenact Copacabana, or how about a show based on High School Musical, a Braddock 'booty' show (which I love!!), no flag feature, a flamenco show, no diagonals, firedancing? Thank God judges don't hold having an identity or signature style against anybody ... otherwise Finals would be reduced to a 30 minute event.

I

sigh. i don't know. it's obviously just me, but i just can't get into SCV. i think that they're a VERY talented group of kids, they achieve all of what is given to them at a very high level. but i can't help thinking that it's the same show as last year, just not half as good from a design standpoint...the only thing that moved me was the flag book which is absolutely breathtaking. i'm hoping to get proven wrong in Dayton!

i couldn't agree more. i feel like i must be missing something from the video. im hoping that the live performance factor will make the show, but on video, its doing nothing for me. the thing that really distracts me is how long they stand still for .. anyone can stand still and spin but the impressive factor is achieving drill AND work. i guess i just like seeing things fast paced... dont get me wrong, i do agree that these kids have hands, that is undeniable, i just wish there was more to the show... needless to say dayton will be interesting :)

Same here. I saw them live and I have to say that SCV's performers are amazing and really get into the show, but it's the same as last year and nowhere near as hard or intricate as Corona's. I'd really love to see Corona achieve all the things their trying and make a statement about the future of the activity in Dayton.