SA to SO

What are the age limitations for an independent guard? I know that there is an Independent A guard in the texas circuit with freshmen and junior high kids on it.. Isnt junior high supposed to be cadet?

In Florida (FFCC specifically) the cadet class is for middle school guards, but as was previously stated, there are no lower limits for Independent guards.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was referring to Independent groups. There are no age restrictions for Ind World groups, A and Open, I believe, the max age is 22. No lowers limits for the young end of things, cadet does not equate to junior high. IMO it is just a term to mean the feeder group to an older performing unit.

Thanks for clarifying! So if an Independent A guard was formed with Junior High girls and the JV from the highschool, that is allowed.. correct?

I've heard there's yet again talk of people requesting a rules change to lift age restrictions on all Independent guards

Rumors of this sort every year, Mike. I personally believe independent should be all-age regardless of geography, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for clarifying! So if an Independent A guard was formed with Junior High girls and the JV from the highschool, that is allowed.. correct?

Yes. But why not be in Scholastic A? If they are all from the same school district they can be in the Scholatic division.

They are from the same school, its like JV but with middle school members also

IMO I really do not think it matters what grade any member is in as long as they can do what is asked of them. I've had 7th graders in a World Class guard. I'm not trying to brag, but I feel that no talented performer or whole team should be held back because of their age or grade level...don't worry so much about cadet/jv/varisty labelling, find the class that best fits the group as a whole.

IMO I really do not think it matters what grade any member is in as long as they can do what is asked of them. I've had 7th graders in a World Class guard. I'm not trying to brag, but I feel that no talented performer or whole team should be held back because of their age or grade level...don't worry so much about cadet/jv/varisty labelling, find the class that best fits the group as a whole.

In TCGC, all members of a scholastic guard MUST come from the same school. If they don't, then the guard must be Independent.

Rumors of this sort every year, Mike. I personally believe independent should be all-age regardless of geography, but that is just my opinion.

I've wondered about the basis for this decision. If you're "independent" why restrict the group to certain ages?

I was wondering about Beatrix, because I know in Europe independent guards have no age restrictions, no matter the class. So were all of their members within the appropriate age range? Or did the European rules change?

I've wondered about the basis for this decision. If you're "independent" why restrict the group to certain ages?

I was wondering about Beatrix, because I know in Europe independent guards have no age restrictions, no matter the class. So were all of their members within the appropriate age range? Or did the European rules change?

I was standing near them in retreat, and just based on looks I don't think that they were all under 23, so I pretty sure Europe doesn't have a restriction.

(although I could just be bad at telling how old people are. I do that sometimes.)

From the 2009 Color Guard Contest Rules...

Color guards from the United States composed of members not over 22 years of age on March

31st of any given year shall be permitted to compete in contests governed by WGI. This age rule

applies to all color guards except those entered in Independent World Class. Independent World

Class Color guards may compete with members of any age. Each color guard appearing in a WGI

contest shall be prepared to show proof of age. International color guards are not bound by any

age limit and must compete in the independent classes.