A creative way to help the activity

Mazzus

The college I go to has a gigantic wide open space that's almost dead center in the middle of the campus. Every Tuesday and Thursday, after classes, some of my friends and I will set up there and just drum. Well, this week we decided to get smart and use the fact that we drew such huge crowds to both our advantage and the advantage of DCI/WGI

There are usually 4-5 of us who are drumming, but we also have 2 other friends who just hang out and watch us and record us playing. Those two gave us the idea to set up a information table of sorts. We figured that since we get so many people coming to watch us we could infect their minds with knowledge of the activity and get started on our corps dues(for next season) now.

So, while the 5 of us drummed, the two of them would sit at a table that had portable DVD Players(we all chipped in and got 2 of them) that were playing DCI/WGI (Percussion)shows on them.(We got a third DVD Player today and are going to start playing Guard Shows as well)

We also printed out some 'brochures' that give basic explanations about what DCI and WGI are. It seemed as though we had a lot of people who were interested in, if not marching, at least going to shows. And we got a pretty decent haul, money-wise. Of course we had to agree to give a portion of it to the fine arts department(which was perfectly fine with us) in order for them to let us do this. But it was still a nice amount once they got their share, which was extremely shocking considering how bad the economy is now.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has thought to do something like this before, and if so how it went. And I encourage everyone to, if you can, try this. It could be very beneficial to you(a great way to pay your dues), DCI/WGI(the activity could always use more attention to keep it thriving, especially with the economy the way it is now), and even the schools fine arts department(which usually always needs help, regardless of how good it is)