Jazz Charts

MellophoniusMajorus

Research is good for both of us in this case. I learned a few things and was reminded of a lot of stuff I forgot. I've worked as a jazz record librarian for a Wisconsin radio station, worked in music stores and before that had some fine music instructors in the Los Angeles/Hollywood who were around when all this was fresh and knew these guys personally and they taught me well to appreciate the history as well as just the sound.

Now that I'm a music dropout and full time surfer-dude I don't get to use my skills as much as I used to, so this was fun for me!

Hope that link to Sierra Music did you some good!

RON HOUSLEY

PS: don't ya think figure skating would be cooler if they played their own music instead of just skated to recordings?

Edited by ffernbus3

• 2 weeks later...

To be politically correct the right term at the time(Talking about Stan Kenton) was a "Mellophoneium" a cross bread b/t Euph and Mello to create a voicing b/t the T-Bones and Trumpets to add more of a "nasty"and or "soft" tone, when the time was right in the chart. Then after the mellophone was created as a brach off of the mellophoneium. I think thats why jazz sounds soo good in drum corps, all because of our friend Stan Kenton. B)

Also, since this thread was about charts as opposed to recordings, check out Sierra Music......they have listed 136 Stan Kenton charts for sale as well as some other heavy hitters in the field of jazz arranging......go check em out....and tell 'em Ron sent you: they'll charge you double!

http://www.sierramusic.com

RON HOUSLEY

A Gentleman And

A Scholar.....when

I'm not surfing the

Central California

Coast, that is!

I had a stage band a couple years ago and we played some Sierra Music charts--Artemis and Apollo and Malaguena. I believe all the mellophonium parts have been re-arranged in all the Kenton charts to be played by either trumpet, flugal, or french horn. So--if you really want to play mello you may have to get your instant transposition glasses on or re-write the parts. I also spoke to Bob Curnow when I was interested in doing Commencement and he said there wasn't enough interest in the chart for him to publish it.

BTW, the college that I play at still has a few of those Conn mellos! They sound as bad now as when Gene Roland recorded with Kenton.

Edited by ravedodger

I believe that the college lends them to local high schools periodically. I pulled one out last year thinking that I could use it for a Rutter solo and quickly returned it to it's sacred storage place. :P