Dynasty Drums still sound like crap

Pearl are the best sounding drums in DCI IMO. Phantom is playing dynasty now and I thought they sounded pretty sweet when I saw them in Dubuque, but not as good as last year. Ludwigs and Premier are the biggest POS on the market.

I think the drums sound have a lot to do with the tuning.

I don't think any amount of tuning will help these things. I think it's the drums. Didn't even really like the sound of Phantom's drums in '07 when I heard them in Pasadena.

I have a Premier snare myself, and while I know they have a history of falling apart when they go on tour, it's been good for me. Always loved the snare sound on those things. Turns out the guts are Prince Top Spin tennis string....same thing as on my racquet.

So, one time in Sr. Corps when we were playing on these really crappy snares, I changed out the guts of one and replaced them with Prince Top Spin. Wah-lah. Instant improvement in sound. Almost sounded like my Premier.

Didn't even really like the sound of Phantom's drums in '07 when I heard them in Pasadena.

For the record, those were Pearls. :devil:

Phantom switched to Dynasty in 08.

For the record, those were Pearls. :devil:

Phantom switched to Dynasty in 08.

Really? I could have sworn they were Dynasty drums at finals. Well, I still didn't like the sound, at least of the snares. Maybe my hearing is going after all these years of drumming.

the sound blue devils get out of their dynasties is all about the tuning. on the snares, they crank the top head, which chokes off the sound.

listen to rhythm x, any year. the sound they get out of their dynasty drums is great.

i will admit, though, i do not like the sound of dynasty bass drums.

As a guy who plays under Paul, and uses dynasty drums, the way he tunes them sounds really good. He does it in a way that when you stand up close to the drum, it sounds really open and poppy. Then when you step back and hear it with the line or on the field, it sounds really tonal, almost like a concert snare. I love it!!!

As a guy who plays under Paul, and uses dynasty drums, the way he tunes them sounds really good. He does it in a way that when you stand up close to the drum, it sounds really open and poppy. Then when you step back and hear it with the line or on the field, it sounds really tonal, almost like a concert snare. I love it!!!

Rennicks method of tuning makes so much sense when you think about it. Why tune the drum to geet the sound you want when you are stading next to it? If the audience (and the microphones) is 'x' feet away, then stand'x' feet away and tune your drums. He had the snares and quads at Regiment sounding great last year. Basses were okay, but theirp playing made me forget about any problems I might have with their tuning.

For what it's worth several DCA lines use Dynasty and they sound great. Just goes to show it is the tuning and not the drum.

ya this argument has been seen on here before...its all in the tuning. since blue devils started using dynasty's in 2000, there have been years the tuning was awesome, and other years not so much. also remember, what sounds crappy to one person may sound completely opposite to someone else. I've heard some really crappy sounding pearl and yamaha drums, that doesnt mean the drums suck. dynasty has certainly made improvements over the years and I strongly believe it will only get better. but once again, its all in the tuning

I would like to hear Phantom live this year so I could see for myself.

But like I mentioned earlier, sometimes it is the drums (a la me changing the guts and noticing a major improvement as mentioned above).

ya this argument has been seen on here before...its all in the tuning. since blue devils started using dynasty's in 2000, there have been years the tuning was awesome, and other years not so much. also remember, what sounds crappy to one person may sound completely opposite to someone else. I've heard some really crappy sounding pearl and yamaha drums, that doesnt mean the drums suck. dynasty has certainly made improvements over the years and I strongly believe it will only get better. but once again, its all in the tuning

Drum brands do seem to have fundamental differences in sound though. I can almost always tell if a Bass is a Pearl, regardless if the tuning is top notch or not just because of the basics of the drum. Pearl basses seem to have a more full-sound compared to Dynasty regardless of how they are tuned. Good tuning is the most important thing when it comes to drums however. IMO obviously.