Phantom Regiment April Camp Review

PHANTOM REGIMENT APRIL CAMP

My Initiation into Drum Corps and Beef-A-Roo

I had the opportunity, and the pleasure, to attend Phantom Regiment’s camp April 25 through April 27. Here’s my in-depth account of the weekend and what it meant to me. It’s long, but I hope it conveys just how great an experience it was for me. And no, I do not get paid by the word! George, I’m apologizing for the excessive use of bandwidth on this one. Feel free to send a bill to eatmyshorts.com. :P

I had never before been to a drum corps camp or spent a significant amount of time at anything other than a competition. I never marched corps. When I was younger, I had the chance to do so, but never did it. I regret that to this day. However, as I’ve gotten into the activity I’ve tried to find ways to make up for the lost experience. I donate money when I can. I have the real pleasure of sponsoring a great young lady who makes me proud to support her. To the extent it’s helpful, I lend my professional expertise to the corps. But I had never rolled up my sleeves and worked a corps camp or fully experienced what a day in the life of a drum corps was all about. And I was curious enough about it to drive 13 hours each way to experience it. I’d do it again in a heartbeat -- it was an experience I’ll treasure for years to come. This was my experience.

A trip out to Rockford would have been wasted without meeting some DCP friends along the way. So on Thursday, I met up with Stef (ScribeToo) and Sluggo and we went to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field. The weather was a bit cool and overcast, so we were prepared. Sluggo brought a very cool umbrella . . . but that’s a story for another occasion, and a separate thread. :P I had never been to Wrigley Field, so it was a great experience to be in such an old and friendly ballpark. After the game, Stef and I went to Sears Tower. Sluggo didn’t join us, as he had to prepare for some Boy Scout weekend in DeKalb! B) I had never been to Sears Tower before either, so it was incredible to be up that high and get such a great view. But the real treat of the day was to connect with Stef and Sluggo. Prior to today, I had never met either of them, except on DCP. Yet it was amazing how it felt like we were long-time friends. I can’t wait to see them in person again.

After Stef and I enjoyed some amazing Thai food, I made the trek to Rockford. Being a newbie, I poo-pooed the idea of staying anywhere other than in a hotel. So I got a cheap room for the weekend – yeah, I might be crazy for driving 800 miles each way for a drum corps camp, but I was not about to deprive myself of a real bed and a hot shower!

FRIDAY

Although the camp didn’t officially start until Friday evening, I was really excited about getting to work, so I arrived at the corps office mid-morning. I was greeted enthusiastically and professionally by Mindy, the office manager. Neither Director Pat Seidling nor Board Member Greg Newell had arrived yet, so I took advantage of the time and walked around the office looking at all of the photos on the walls. It was like a mini-Phantom Regiment museum, full of new and old photos of the corps. I was able to recognize many of the photos – even the year and the point in the show when the photo was taken. I told myself I needed to get out of the house more often!

It wasn’t long before Greg arrived. We spent a little time catching up and talking about the Cubs game and what was in store for the weekend. I also got a sneak preview of the “Countdown to Fifty” brochures that would help kick off Phantom’s capital campaign (more on this below). Greg also told me about the new website that was about to go live. Pat then arrived. The only other time I had met Pat in person, I was sunburned to a crisp and he was up to his arms in oil working on a bus in Whitewater, WI. This was a much different meeting, as both of us were clean! We had a great chat about the camp and the great kids who made up the 2003 Phantom Regiment.

I left the office with Greg, who played me a recording of the 2003 show. This was recorded at the corps’ January camp. Greg gave the disclaimer that it was very rough since it was only January and the kids were tired when they played it. I thought if this is rough, I’m in for a treat! We stopped by Greg’s house, where I got to meet his lovely wife Teresa and his awesome bullmastiff, Ember. I brought photos of my bulldog Dubbs to share. Oh, and I got a private tour of the new website. It’s REALLY cool! But of course you already know that.

On Friday evening, I arrived at Harlem Middle School. I immediately noticed how much there was to do and how well coordinated everything was. I got a guided tour of the corps’ equipment truck. I was impressed with how organized it is – everything is there for a reason and every item has its place. On the outside, it looks like an ordinary 18-wheeler. But it unfolds into a warehouse! And I experienced a piece of Phantom Regiment tradition. Over the years, members of the percussion pit have written their rosters and some unique sayings on the inside of the doors. It was neat to see this piece of corps history right before me. I also got to see the new truck the corps bought to pull the souvenir trailer. Drum corps and their tight budgets lend themselves to really creative stuff. It’s a used U-Haul truck, with a pass-through cut out to the cab. The truck will hold souvenirs and bunk beds for the souvenir crew. Impressive.

I then spent some time unloading equipment for the weekend. There was a huge box of pith helmets that needed to be brought into the school and set up in numerical order. I also unloaded the corps uniforms, as the members would be fit throughout the weekend. [Now, there are some rumors floating around DCP and elsewhere about Phantom’s uniforms this summer. Will there be a change? If so, what kind of change? I am certain to be drawn and quartered if I utter another word, so you’ll just have to come see the corps in Toledo on June 14th and see for yourself!]. I sat at the check-in table with Greg and Teresa and got to meet some of the members. In particular, I was elated to see Lindsay, the great member I’m sponsoring, show up with her mother, Debbie. Debbie and I would spend many hours making plumes together and getting to know one another. At that moment, I realized why drum corps is so special and why I was doing what I was doing. In fact, I got to meet and work with a whole bunch of parents who spent the weekend working, sleeping on the floor and using less-than-adequate showers to help their kids’ corps. I was impressed with their dedication, and was able to talk with them about their experience as corps parents. One remarked to me how he entrusted a young girl to the corps, only to have a more mature, young woman return. Talking with parents only confirmed why I was doing what I was doing. They’re among the real heroes here.

I spent the evening organizing helmets and helping members find a helmet that fit. I also left the school on a few occasions to meet some members whose buses dropped them off at local hotels. Each member was excited to be coming to camp and each was polite, thanking me for volunteering and driving them. Still more reinforcement of what drum corps does for young men and women.

The members had a meeting with Pat starting at about 7 p.m. They spent the rest of the evening working on movement in the school gym. The guard was sequestered in a smaller side gym working on their equipment. I ran into Steve Miller, an accountant in Dallas who’s a great Phantom phan and supporter, who also came in for camp. I met Steve last summer at the Regiment’s alumni and booster event in Madison.

After block drills ended, the corps had a snack and a meeting, then bed. I went to a local watering hole and quaffed a few ales with Greg and Steve. The design staff was busy talking and eating, and I seized the opportunity to chat with two of the younger staff members, whose names I am embarrassed to say escape me. One is a visual tech, the other is a percussion tech. I wanted to learn what these folks did and how they fit into the entire staff. One was an age-out with the Cadets, the other an age-out with the Colts. They talked about their experiences in corps and as Phantom Regiment staff members. Yet another lesson: the unique activity that helps shape good young men and women isn’t Phantom Regiment per se. It’s drum corps. Every kid in every corps has a great opportunity to grow. Not just Phantom Regiment members. Sure, as fans we may have our favorite corps, but the defining moment is when the kid decides she wants to march corps, not which corps she wants to march.

Exhausted, yet excited for the rest of the weekend, I went to my hotel and fell asleep in no time.

SATURDAY

I arrived at the school bright and early expecting to help out with breakfast. Instead, Pat and I used the school’s wet/dry vacuum to mop up water from the side gym where the color guard was working. The showers, which are rarely used by the school, apparently didn’t have the best drainage system, which made for a nice little sea in the locker room and a nice lake in the gym. I had my first lesson of the day, pre-caffeine: when on tour, the major responsibility of corps directors and/or tour managers is crisis management and problem solving. Although the tour is planned with attention to every minute detail, things invariably go wrong. Survival depends on flexibility, creativity and a sense of humor. Pat seems to have plenty of all three.

Throughout the day, I and six parents comprised the “plume committee.” We hunkered down in a classroom, with a TV on for distraction, and made about 140 plumes. Yes, the beautiful Phantom Regiment plumes are made from scratch. And it’s quite a process, let me tell you! Enough to keep seven of us busy all day. Again, I cannot reveal the process, for fear of being tarred and – err-- feathered. Throughout the day, corps members came in for helmet fitting. By the end of the day, we were covered in feathers, but we had a great time chatting, laughing and working. This is what the drum corps family is all about, I thought. I can’t wait to see these people again.

Throughout the day, the corps was outside working on drill to the first two pieces, Canon in D and Wild Nights. It was a beautiful day. I took plenty of breaks to get some sun and watch rehearsal. The stands were somewhat low, so I couldn’t get a birds-eye view of the drill, but what I saw looked amazing – intricate, difficult, original. Also, the corps wasn’t playing just yet, so to this point I hadn’t heard any music. I was imagining what I’d hear based on what I saw, and the corps members singing their parts. Most of them would make great all-around musicians. For some of them, I’m glad they’re instrumentalists only! But this was my first sneak peek at any piece of the 2003 production. It’s hard to describe, but I found myself getting very enthused about the summer. June couldn’t come fast enough, I thought. That was when I cemented my decision to go to the June 14 show in Toledo.

When the corps broke for lunch, I did, too. I had my first Beef-A-Roo experience. Beef-A-Roo is a fast food chain in the Rockford area. As fast food goes, it’s as good as it gets. And it’s unique. And addictive. Plus, the owners, Dave DeBruler and Jean Vitale, are huge Phantom Regiment supporters who have volunteered to assume a leadership role in the Countdown to Fifty campaign. I think that Beef-A-Roo is a bit of a legend among Phantom members. I understand why.

During the afternoon, the corps continued its painstaking work on Canon in D and Wild Nights. Still no music, though. I was wondering if I’d hear a sound from the new King marching brass this weekend. Still, I was impressed by the work ethic of the members and the diligence of the staff. Every detail was checked and rechecked. I then had a great conversation with Pat and Steve. Pat shared with us how the deal with King fell into place and how things have been working thus far. So far, the members and staff have been very pleased with the horns, and the King folks have been very accommodating to the corps in fine-tuning them. Remember, these horns are not yet on the market. Just as Phantom Regiment gets the use of brand new custom-made horns, King has a whole bunch of live guinea pigs! A mutually beneficial relationship, to say the least. Pat showed us the horns, which look fantastic. They will look wonderful from the stands any time. Add some stadium lights, and they will be absolutely spectacular. I held a trumpet like a father holds his infant child. I was so afraid to drop it!

During the evening, things settled down a little bit. The corps was still outside working on drill while there was daylight. I continued fitting the members for helmets. As we fit the helmets, we labeled each one and set it apart from the rest, in an organized fashion. Looking at all the helmets on the floor, I was reminded of the 1993 program when the corps played Fire of Eternal Glory and assembled their helmets on the field. Goosebumps.

While waiting in the hallway for helmet customers, I got to eavesdrop on a meeting Pat had with the parents and family members who were present. He distributed “The Phantom Regiment Tour Survival Guide” to everyone and discussed what the members could expect from tour, the corps’ rules, the highs, lows, and everything in between. What impressed me was that Pat didn’t sugar-coat things. This isn’t summer camp. It’s a grueling experience, and a life-altering one at that.

When it got dark outside, the corps assembled inside for sectionals. I immediately played hooky from my helmeting duties when I heard the first blasts from the new horns. Glorious sounds filled the school from the sections, which were spread out in different locations. After a while, the entire corps assembled in the gym (except the color guard, which was working in the smaller gym, a/k/a Lake Harlem, next door) to run through some music. J.D. Shaw painstakingly worked though detail after detail, and the work showed. I had never before heard drum corps in a gym, so it was quite loud! After the shock to my system wore off, I appreciated the sound. In a word, it was magnificent. Fans will love the sound of the new horns and this corps.

The corps worked on two sections of Wild Nights. It’s fast, frenzied and very demanding. The skill level of the corps is patently obvious. It’s wonderful stuff. The corps then worked on The Lord’s Prayer. In my opinion, this has “Phantom Regiment Classic” written all over it! The low brass sound from these kids and those horns was beautiful. I was emotional. If I had a baby, I would have thrown it! Phantom’s known for its low brass sound. This does that reputation justice and then some. Those of you who have heard the source music know how fantastic this piece is. Have Phantom Regiment play it and you’ve got an instant classic. When the rehearsal ended, I left, again exhausted. Yet this time I was humming a great tune the whole way back to my hotel.

SUNDAY

I was psyched as soon as I woke up. Today was the day I’d get to see the corps put it all together. Plus, there would be a special Sneak Preview for boosters, alumni and members of the public, at which the corps would preview the show and kick off its most ambitious capital campaign ever.

I will plead guilty here and now to doing almost no work on Sunday. A helmet fitting here and there, but I was mainly interested in rehearsal. The corps worked on cleaning the drill to Canon in D and the first part of Wild Nights, but this time with music. This was the first I’d heard of Canon – it’s awesome. It starts off very quietly with a chorale, and gradually builds to a nice, but definitely not overstated, impact point. Then the chorale returns and the piece gradually concludes. My description barely does justice to this piece -- I don’t want to give anything away, and at the same time some things are just too beautiful for words. I can say that what I heard matched very well with what I saw. I’ve already described the music to Wild Nights. The drill works well with the frenetic nature of the music. There are definitely some visual impact points that were getting pretty clean already. In uniform, and with guard work, they will delight the audience.

The corps then worked on the closing piece, Ostinato. This is some powerful stuff. I was particularly impressed with the mellophone runs that dotted the piece. Yeah, these kids are really good, I thought. And it’s only April! One part of Ostinato deserves special mention, because for me it’s the highlight of the show so far. I can’t totally kill the surprise because you have to experience it to get the full brunt of how great this is. Anyway, towards the end of the piece, all the sections of the corps are playing along at a frantic clip, and the tension and sense of urgency is building, when, out of nowhere, the corps breaks into a very loud, glorious, maestoso statement from Canon. It’s indeed the climax of the show, and pure standing O material. Remember in 1991 -- Star of Indiana -- when the cross appeared and reappeared out of nowhere? In my book, this is the musical equivalent of that. Wow! The piece then ends with a fury. I can’t wait to see this piece with drill.

The color guard has learned a bunch of work by now. Due to the high percentage of members participating in winter guard, their participation in camps has not matched the rest of the corps. No fear. Under Joe Heininger’s expert tutelage, the ladies will impress us once again this year. A real treat for me in 2002 was to see the entire guard spinning rifles. 2003 will offer the same!

At around 11:45 a.m., the crowd started to arrive for the Sneak Preview. All told, there were about 300 people in the stands. Shortly after noon, the corps ran through Canon and the first part of Wild Nights, with drill, for the crowd. The response was enthusiastic. Then, as the corps took a water break, the formal part of the program got underway. Pat Seidling introduced himself, welcomed us all to Rockford and the camp, thanked all the great folks who sponsor the corps, and explained the Countdown to Fifty campaign. Phantom Regiment will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2006. Phantom needs to replace its food truck and equipment truck, both of which are very expensive, and seeks to build an endowment to help secure a strong future. There are also plans to and start and fund music enrichment activities in the Rockford area. This last piece is important – Phantom Regiment seeks to be about more than a drum and bugle corps that travels the country. Rather, Phantom is busy implementing programs that will secure its place as a vital cultural and youth organization in the Rockford area. For example, Phantom will host its first-ever drum major camp this May. It will also present a color guard clinic beginning in January 2004. Beginning this fall, Phantom will host a regional high school marching band festival and competition. Phantom plans to field a parade corps beginning in 2005 and endeavors to premiere concert stage band in 2003. Each of these initiatives is important, and each costs money. Pat then turned the program over to Greg Newell, who introduced Fritz Jacobi, publisher of the Rockford Register Star, a major sponsor and friend of Phantom Regiment.

Fritz is no stranger to drum corps. His child marched for a number of years with Spirit of Atlanta and he’s a longtime fan of the Madison Scouts. He confessed that he has a new favorite corps! Fritz is also a gifted speaker. With just a few short remarks, he conveyed to the crowd in a convincing fashion why drum corps was so special, why Phantom Regiment is unique in the drum corps world, why the Countdown to Fifty campaign is critical and how everyone can help. The corps will accept monthly installment payments and can charge a payment against a credit card or make an automatic withdrawal from a bank account. To the Phantom Regiment alumni and fans reading this, let me say this: now is the time to secure the future of this great organization. Your support is vital. If you’d like to help, visit the corps website or PM me, and I’ll forward your information to the right place.

After Fritz finished delivering his inspiring message, he introduced the corps, which played through the entire show, without drill. This is the first time I heard the entire musical book from start to finish. It’s a great combination of pieces that the crowd will love. I’ve touched on some of the highlights above. But you’ve got to hear it and see it for yourself to really appreciate how good this really is. The crowd gave the corps a standing ovation, then dispersed to the souvenir trailer and the parking lot. As for me, I said my goodbyes, grabbed a photo with Lindsay and her mom, and left for the long drive to Pennsylvania. But not without first stopping at Beef-A-Roo!

In case you were wondering, here’s some statistical information from the weekend: right now, the corps is carrying 78 hornline members, 68 of whom were present. 18 of 19 battery members were there, and 35 of 39 guard members were there. All absences were accounted for. The pit? They rehearsed all weekend in Texas!

In all, the weekend far surpassed my expectations, which were quite high to begin with. I came away from the weekend with the following lessons/impressions/realizations, among others:

(1) A drum and bugle corps cannot survive without the tireless of work of dedicated volunteers. Phantom Regiment is truly blessed to have a number of volunteers who have given most, if not all, of their free time to the corps. Some for longer than the kids marching today have been alive. Remember the great story on dci.org about Becky Nelson, who’s run the food operations for a couple of decades? There are many others whose records of service are just as impressive. They believe in the activity and the young men and women it serves. Phantom Regiment members are their kids. I saw this firsthand, all weekend long, and it inspired me.

(2) The 2003 Phantom Regiment is going to be fantastic, and will make all drum corps fans proud. The show is great. The horns and the hornline is great. The improvement in the percussion section is staggering.

(3) I am hopelessly hooked on this activity, as both a performing arts genre and as a vital youth activity, and I have found a home in the Phantom Regiment organization. I could not have been made to feel more welcome or valued, and by the end of the weekend it felt like I was with old friends. I asked to be put to work and I was. I saw first-hand why my simple act of helping sponsor a member made a huge difference in her life, her mother’s life, and mine as well.

(4) I was impressed with the leadership and unselfishness of all of the leaders, from the corps staff, to the volunteer army, to the creative design team, to the conductors and to the members.

(5) I wish I didn’t live 13 hours from Rockford, or I’d be able to do more to help the corps.

Other than that, I had an uneventful weekend.

Edited by TomMoore

• 5 months later...

Something's got to be bumped to compete with Jeff's long list, so it might as well be this one! :P

Edited by TomMoore