Anyone catch Adam Rapa at New Cowboy stadium?

angelbugler

I just watched it on youtube and it sounded really good.I do not see what the fuss is about.

Were you watching the 1st game at the new Texas Stadium or the last one at the old park? The old one had the Ravens playing the Fagboys, I mean cowboys. Hey, their starting QB rhymes with ####.

I could not find on youtube the new version with the 4 valve horn. The old one was really sweet and in "F".

And like Donny says, I wish I could play that bad.

Also, I thought that the 4th valve on a piccolo was to slot the high notes better, am I wrong? I never played more than 3, heck 2 valve G bugles were a test.

• 2 weeks later...

4th valve on piccolo is to extend the lower register so you can play the occasional F (or lower) that you wouldn't be able to get on a 3 valve piccolo. Most of the time it's not used a lot but I think there are a couple pieces in the repertoire that need an F or two.

Edited by McDutchy

4th valve on piccolo is to extend the lower register so you can play the occasional F (or lower) that you wouldn't be able to get on a 3 valve piccolo. Most of the time it's not used a lot but I think there are a couple pieces in the repertoire that need an F or two.

The fourth valve is not used in the upper register. A 3 valve piccolo trumpet only goes as low as F# on the staff. With 4 valves the piccolo trumpet can descend to low Db, just below the staff.

I would imagine that the 4th valve on the Bb trumpet would make it possible to play and octave lower, down to the pedal Db using the proper valve fingerings plus the 4th valve and would make even lower pedal notes easier and easier to correct the pitch.

Don Ellis did play a 4 valve, quarter tone trumpet for awhile...he was into a lot of weird stuff, with that and time signatures.