Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Willy Wonka seeks a Charlie Bucket

The Imperials Drum and Bugle Corps, based on the South Shore of Massachusetts (south of Boston) is seeking a Director with the proper experience, drive, judgement and willpower to take the corps to the next level.

Background: The Corps originally existed between 1965 and 1977 and was based out of Pembroke, MA. The corps was a New England powerhouse at its zenith and in 1974 was considered one of New England's strongest corps. One notable accomplishment of the corps was that it won the VFW Nats in 1973.

My name is John Stark. I am the present Director and I hold this position based on the will of an elected Board of Directors. I can be voted out at any time. I've held this position since 2003. It was always my intention to someday turn the corps over to the right individual when the timing was right. My initial goal (in 2003), was to ressurrect the corps (after we held a successful reunion and the Alumni agreed to reorganize). That goal has been met. We now have a small but nice "all age" corps, which does parades, appearances and the occasional DCA Mini Corps Competition. Now, I feel we are ready for our second goal... that being turning what we have into a competitive DCA corps some day. Probably starting with Class A. This second goal is a tall order for anyone and I have always felt that only a younger person can pull it off because of the energy required. I'm approaching my 50th birthday and I am realistic enough to know that the corps is presently at the level that I can take it to, which isn't high enough. But I'm also mindful that I'm entrusted to maintain what we set out to create and I don't view the responsibility lightly. I won't turn this over to anyone I don't trust and have confidence in. Therefore I'm throwing this out to the Drum Corps community that we seek someone to run the corps day to day. I wish to remain involved in an advisory and support role.

Have any of you ever wanted to start your own corps but didn't know how to take the first step? Well, what we offer here is the 2nd step. We've already done the hard part; the 1st step. We've laid the foundation of a corps. Anyone who has tried this can tell you that the odds are tough to even get a corps off the ground these days. Well, we have a corps. We have some equipment, a place to rehearse, a truck, no debt., a small but talented ensemble. It took more than persistence to get this. It also involved luck and some seed support from our alumni. Thankfully, our stars aligned somewhat. So, here is a chance for someone trustworthy and passionate about drum corps to take the baton and start running.

Do you have what it takes?

Here are the requirements:

You must live within 60 minutes of the South Shore and have no plans for moving.

You should have an unbridled enthusiasm for drum corps and see it as your life's passion.

You must have either a musical background in corps (brass or percussion) or colorguard experience.

Very good people skills and diplomacy is a must.

Must have good references.

We preffer you are the instructor type, who can assemble a quality staff which will help draw members. But also a business sense is important.

You must be willing to build and grow the group into the ideal set forth by the B.O.D. and be willing to consider holding this position for a long time.

You should be visonary and be able to spot potential, no matter in what form it is, from grooming talent to buying equipment.

Must be willing to work with a B.O.D. and be accepting of whatever financial challenges present themselve's in the context of our debt free bylaws (this corps does not carry debt.)

You must be willing to accept no pay, but if you can build the corps into an entity where you can pay yourself, that will be more than acceptable.

You must demonstrate an enthusiasm for drum corps history and adopt -with passion- our goal of restoring the Imperials to drum corps glory.

You must be willing to "bleed cranberry". :sarcasm:

Lastly, We are not in a hurry to make this move. We can remain in our present (parade corps) state indefinitely. We will take whatever time is required to make this move safely. But, if we find the right person sooner, rather than later, we will not hold back our plans to attempt to reach our long term goals. This most likely would be a situation where you come and teach, get involved for a while until the trust is built.

For more information, please see our website: http://www.pembrokeimperials.org

Thank you all, Sincerely, John. Please contact me via email: pathway500@yahoo.com

Edited by Imperial

I am by no means qualified to accept this position, but I wish you good luck and my most fervent hopes that someone who fits the bill steps up to the plate. Good luck to you in your future endeavours.

I am by no means qualified to accept this position, but I wish you good luck and my most fervent hopes that someone who fits the bill steps up to the plate. Good luck to you in your future endeavours.

Thanks for the support, Rich!!! That was very kind of you.

John