Scouts Q&A on the Recent Changes

Mad75

I remember we had folks from exotic, far flung locales like Iowa, etc. (We even had some of those 32nd Hussar kids from Middelton). But I still think a large majority of the corps was from the Madison area. It sounds as if the change away from that was pretty swift.

The Roarkmeister and Guerno are correct, I just took out my 1975 yearbook and counted 32 guys out of 128 that were from out of state (25%).

I know the numbers from out of state went up in 1976 but by far the majority were still from the Madison area.

(Roark, does Eau Claire qualify as exotic or far flung?)

Edited by bass5

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was very swift! I can remember talking to other members in my age out year of 81' as to the fact that only a handful of us actually came from the Madison area.

I remember attending a parade in Wisconsin in 1978 at which Phantom Reghiment appeared (the competition was later, in the evening). I was chatting with one of the corps members afterwards and she mentioned that she had come from New York state to march with the corps. "You mean, you came all the way from New York to be in Phan tom Regiment?" is how I responded to her. She nonchanlantly replied, "Oh, yeah." That made quite an impression on me and I remember thinking, "Wow, this is serious stuff!"

Conversely, many people in Madison don't know about the Scouts, and many others that do could care less about them.

Sadly this was true even before I marched. I went down to Madison in October of 1988 to apply

at MATC and Edgewood College. I remeber asking people at both schools if they knew

anything about the Madison Scouts or how I could audition. Nobody that I talked to at either

school had even heard of the Scouts...and this was right after they won DCI.

It astonished me that there was so little knowledge of the Corps in its own community.

Conversely, many people in Madison don't know about the Scouts, and many others that do could care less about them.

This may come across as harsh, but it's a sad indictment. I do remember a time when the Scouts were known as "Madison's Music Ambassadors"......It was proudly painted on our equipment trailer.

There was a time when most Madison residents and Wisconsinites knew who the Madison Scouts were and could tell you a fair amount of factual information regarding the corps.

Sadly this was true even before I marched. I went down to Madison in October of 1988 to apply

at MATC and Edgewood College. I remeber asking people at both schools if they knew

anything about the Madison Scouts or how I could audition. Nobody that I talked to at either

school had even heard of the Scouts...and this was right after they won DCI.

It astonished me that there was so little knowledge of the Corps in its own community.

Right. And per our discussions, Jeff, I never understood why the Corps didn't enjoy a tighter relationship with the UW community. There was a great difference between the Scouts corps and the UW band, but so many resources at the UW, or so it would seem.

Edited by dmfootworks

The Roarkmeister and Guerno are correct, I just took out my 1975 yearbook and counted 32 guys out of 128 that were from out of state (25%).

I know the numbers from out of state went up in 1976 but by far the majority were still from the Madison area.

(Roark, does Eau Claire qualify as exotic or far flung?)

No, Eau Claire falls into a category that can't be discussed here......after all, this is a family friendly venue Mike.

No, Eau Claire falls into a category that can't be discussed here......after all, this is a family friendly venue Mike.

Well I guess there must have been a reason I left when I turned 18.

Dan, I would agree on the 25%. I know I had a roommate in college that was in the Scouts who was from the Milwaukee area, and he used to comment on how few Wisconsinites were in.

So, did the success of the '75 Scouts speed up that trend?

I suspect so. In '71 and '72 we were virtual all local. First out-of-state guys came in '72. I think we had only 2 in '72. 1973 witnessed a noticebale influx of guys from out-of-state--most notably the "Ohio Gang." Out-of-state membership was around 10-15% in '73. The success of '73 attracted more guys to join in 1974--Ohio, Michigan, Chicago, Iowa, mostly upper midwest. Out-of-state membership in '74 was somewhere in the 20% range. Out-of-staters increased a bit more in 1975 (c. 25%, maybe 30%. Not much more than that). I've misplaced the exact numbers, but about a year ago I calculated the number of out-of-staters based on the provenance of members listed in the 1975 yearbook, "The Way We Were." Membership indeed remained predominantly local in '75. The most radical changes took place in 1976 and 1977--50+% range. The success of '75 had a lot to do with the dramatic increase in out-of-state membership in the immediate post-1975 period.

I suspect so. In '71 and '72 we were virtual all local. First out-of-state guys came in '72. I think we had only 2 in '72. 1973 witnessed a noticebale influx of guys from out-of-state--most notably the "Ohio Gang." Out-of-state membership was around 10-15% in '73. The success of '73 attracted more guys to join in 1974--Ohio, Michigan, Chicago, Iowa, mostly upper midwest. Out-of-state membership in '74 was somewhere in the 20% range. Out-of-staters increased a bit more in 1975 (c. 25%, maybe 30%. Not much more than that). I've misplaced the exact numbers, but about a year ago I calculated the number of out-of-staters based on the provenance of members listed in the 1975 yearbook, "The Way We Were." Membership indeed remained predominantly local in '75. The most radical changes took place in 1976 and 1977--50+% range. The success of '75 had a lot to do with the dramatic increase in out-of-state membership in the immediate post-1975 period.

Dan, perhaps you remember doing an exhibition in '71 or '72 at a Packers preseason game in Green Bay (or maybe it was Milwaukee). I remember seeing it on TV. It was the show that had the big scatter in the opener. I guess one of the things that was lost with the "interstating" of corps was the ability to do more pre- and postseason performances, as membership became too geographically dispersed. This would certainly make for less community visibility.

Guerno, Do you remember performing your tenor solo/ensemble (I think championship winning?) piece for all of us at an East High School winter practice in 75'?......I remember it like it was yesterday!.......superb!.......extraordinary!