Less West Side Story in the future?

First thing you've said in this thread I agree with.

You can't argue with perfection. :rolleyes:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you could indeed do that! Thats the beauty of music.

It transcends spoken language. I could write a piece of music and have it set on stage to the same show, and it might have the same effect.

Logically, you could write a completely different piece of music and have it set on stage to a completely different show, and it could have the same effect and meaning and even memory.

That's what's fun about concepts like "infinite"

In other words, you do nothing but make yourself feel good.

Got it. Your words have no actual bearing on the world or the people in it. There's not a jot of legal or even particularly sensible application to any of them. They're merely intellectual masturbation, carried out in public.

That I can respect.

If that is true, then all of religion is intellectual masturbation.

Of course there is no legal application to what I was saying. Who cares?

Practical? Perhaps in several hundred years, perhaps not...

Logically, you could write a completely different piece of music and have it set on stage to a completely different show, and it could have the same effect and meaning and even memory.

That's what's fun about concepts like "infinite"

memory, no.

memory is very specific. and, btw, we would also be delving into multidimensionalism if we stayed on this topic of infinitum.

If that is true, then all of religion is intellectual masturbation.

Of course there is no legal application to what I was saying. Who cares?

Practical? Perhaps in several hundred years, perhaps not...

Religion tends to lend itself to effecting the lives of the people involved. That's actually most of the point of the vast, overwhelming majority of religions through out history. Whereas your stance seems to have no such aspirations at all, which is fine. I'm a big fan of intellectual masturbation.

And as for who cares, well, at the beginning of this thread, you sure as heck seemed to. It was just one page back that you were asserting that heirs had no right to make decisions on an ancestor's copyrights...

memory, no.

memory is very specific. and, btw, we would also be delving into multidimensionalism if we stayed on this topic of infinitum.

I was a physics major. The weirder parts of QM are my bread and butter.

And no, when we've brought in a concept such as infinity (a term you first used), then memory is not very specific. Because for every possible memory, there will be an infinite number of musical pieces, and an infinite number of librettos and choreographies and stories (all artistic, and thus "always-existent") that will result in that particular memory.

If there aren't, then the number of possible things is definitionally limited, and thus not infinite.

At which point, you'll need to consult a new dictionary.

Religion tends to lend itself to effecting the lives of the people involved. That's actually most of the point of the vast, overwhelming majority of religions through out history. Whereas your stance seems to have no such aspirations at all, which is fine. I'm a big fan of intellectual masturbation.

Me too, although I dont care to call it that. I would rather call it parlor discussion with cigars and scotch. Unfortunate.

And as for who cares, well, at the beginning of this thread, you sure as heck seemed to. It was just one page back that you were asserting that heirs had no right to make decisions on an ancestor's copyrights...

Oh yes, but as I believe I was saying, I was arguing on the behalf of the physical law that I'd like to see changed.

Oh yes, but as I believe I was saying, I was arguing on the behalf of the physical law that I'd like to see changed.

There's no point in changing it, though, as it can have no effect on the things it proposes to effect, under the logic of your philosophy.

Me too, although I dont care to call it that. I would rather call it parlor discussion with cigars and scotch. Unfortunate.

No, I'm sorry, that's not possible. There was a vote at the last bi-annual scotch-drinker's club association, and it was decided that one is not allowed to call it that if one is also going to say things like "there's no such thing as advocating a philosophy".

Bloody rules committees.

I was a physics major. The weirder parts of QM are my bread and butter.

And no, when we've brought in a concept such as infinity (a term you first used), then memory is not very specific. Because for every possible memory, there will be an infinite number of musical pieces, and an infinite number of librettos and choreographies and stories (all artistic, and thus "always-existent") that will result in that particular memory.

If there aren't, then the number of possible things is definitionally limited, and thus not infinite.

At which point, you'll need to consult a new dictionary.

Hmmm. Well, I was referring to the infinite as it results in a space-void where time is compressed into one and everything, yet nothing, exists, including multidimensionalism. When I think of the mental, I think of a world closer to that of the spiritual, but not of the body. Memory, itself, I should have looked at more closely.

I'm starting to really go off. How about we call it a night and see how many people's minds explode by reading this discussion by the morning? Agreed?

I'll go along with that, though I warn you, I might not check back on this thread for a few days. Rules about creative endeavors coming in under the deadline that I've got to follow. ;)