"Drum Corps Digest" stage show, Chicago 1967

OMG. I marched in that show with the Chicago Royal-Airs. For years I've been trying to find a recording of that performance to no avail. Anyone know of anyone that might have recorded it? And if so where one might be found? Please reach me with any info at royalaircanada@hotmail.com or on Face Book P.S. By the way folks please that's Chicago Royal-Airs with a Hyphen. Thank you very much. Larry Caro

Edited by royal-air canada

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know of anyone that might have recorded it?

Cavie alum and RA sr alum Paul Milano --also on Facebook-- says he has a tape recording of the show.

The rest of the story.

This photo, appropriately, is of the show's opening color presentation which included a rifle or two from each corps and the Racine Scouts in back playing "To The Colors" which, for you newbies [hmmm... in THIS group?], is the originally valveless bugle equivalent of "The Star Spangled Banner".

This part of the show by itself was enough to make my hair stand on end, and with good reason.

See, Wichita in 1967 was on the very, very outer edge of the Drum Corps Frontier. We saw and competed only with the other KS corps [Argonne Rebels, Skyryders, Trailblazers] and the Enid OK Legionettes... and that was all. We didn't tour. Few corps did, then. Drum corps records [LPs, right?] were exceptionally rare and jealously guarded. We knew about "the civilized Drum Corps World" back East only through equally rare issues of Drum Corps Digest and Drum Corps News. Subscriptions to either were Heaven On Earth. The Internet, cell phones, PCs, DVDs, CDs, etc. --all the ways we can easily, daily follow drum corps now-- wouldn't exist for some 20 more years!!

So word of this Drum Corps Digest-sponsored standstill in far-off Chicago was immediately, intensely, almost hypnotically attractive. The thought of seeing all these corps --some of legendary sophistication-- together in one place... oh man, really, you just can't imagine the "tug" it exerted on us out in the drum corps hinterlands. This show, in its way, represented Disneyland and The Playboy Mansion all in one [but with backsticking]!

And so we went. And so we drooled. Excessively. "Oh joy! Oh rapture! Oh bliss!" -H.M.S. Pinafore

Edited by Jim Nevermann

I believe when I ask Paul Milano about it once before he said he had nothing picture wise regarding the Chicago Royal-Airs only the Cavaliers or something like that and nothing regarding a recording. If I am wrong on this matter in any way please correct me Paul. Jim do you have any other photos from this show especially of the Chicago Royal-Airs?

Jim do you have any other photos from this show especially of the Chicago Royal-Airs?

I do have stereo Viewmaster [you know... those round cards you put in the handheld viewers] photos of the show, including two shots of RA. But there's no practical way that I know of to satisfactorily enlarge them. Even scanning, enlarging & Photoshopping would produce unsharp results: I've tried a couple times. The transparencies in the card proper are each only half an inch at their widest which is... what... about 1/4th the width of standard 35mm slides?

It's frustrating because I have at least 100 such cards of pictures from the 1950s on [i inherited my late father's unique stereo camera that takes those photos] including corps shots that I'd like to put in a format besides the cards. :(

Edited by Jim Nevermann

So the challenge to anyone and everyone is .... Is there anyone out there that has figured out how to copy such view master pictures yet? If so let us know here please. Was this picture you put up on here from a view master also? Did anyone else who might have also been with you possibly take any pictures of the event?

Was this picture you put up on here from a view master also?

This photo was shot probably with a Brownie Instamatic, the print of which I just recently scanned and adjusted the settings of in Photoshop. We thus used two cameras: the stereo and the Brownie.

I just looked through the other prints of that show but found none of RA. So they're in the stereo pix only. I also took a post-performance shot of your DM [Mike Rameli?] and some members --still in uniform-- in the lobby, but that's apparently in stereo too.

Sorry to 'dangle the carrott', so to speak.

So, might there be any other folks out there who might have attended and recorded or taken photos of this show? Again is there anyone out there who might know of a way to enlarge photos off of the old viewmasters cards or know of a place to go and possibly find out? I do own a few old viewmasters but that doesn't help me in this case to be able to see them.

How About..

St Patricks

Niese Ambassadores

Norwood park Imperials

Mariners

Racine Scouts

Royalaires

Eaglettes

Scouts

Cavaliers

That sounds about right, but who are the Eaglettes? Familiar with all the rest...

who are the Eaglettes?

All-girl drumcorps from Sandusky OH, unis were White Red & Blue. Originally one of several OH drillteam/CGs run by Don McNeal (not the Breakfast Club guy).