Curry CCAPS on a dynasty G mellophone?

sssidney

Has anyone tried using Curry CCAPS (http://www.currympc.com/ccaps.html) on a 3 valve dynasty G mellophone? Which size fits? I contacted Curry but he wasn't familiar with the horn. If you got this to work what did you think? I've read an article about using these on a Yamaha 204 on http://www.middlehornleader.com/Curry%20CCaps.htm and would like to try them on my old mello.

Edited by sssidney

How old is the mello? If it has Amado waterkeys, it was made by Allied, and Getzen caps might fit. If it has standard waterkeys, it was made by Weril in Sao Paulo Brazil.

But you might just be putting lipstick on a pig.

How old is the mello? If it has Amado waterkeys, it was made by Allied, and Getzen caps might fit. If it has standard waterkeys, it was made by Weril in Sao Paulo Brazil.

It has the Amado waterkeys. I'm willing to risk dressing up a pig.

Are the Weril instruments really that bad? I played a Bb not too long ago and I thought it was OK, pretty good, in fact.

I have an old DEG 3V G bugle that is just over 20 years old, (I can't believe it!), and it's like brand new.

I can't speak to the high brass, but Weril low brass is actually not bad. A school I was teaching at got several Weril 3/4 tubas and they were some of the better small tubas I've played.

It has the Amado waterkeys. I'm willing to risk dressing up a pig.

Honestly, what mello isn't a pig?

I believe I heard that Curry can do custom threading for his caps. Don't know the expense or turnaround time for your horn, but it's probably worth a contact. Heavy caps will definitely impact the horn, most likely in a positive way.

You should try a Hammon heavy weight mello mouthpiece too. It would balance nicely with the added mass you're adding to the mello.

Report back if you get this done!!

Honestly, what mello isn't a pig?

I believe I heard that Curry can do custom threading for his caps. Don't know the expense or turnaround time for your horn, but it's probably worth a contact. Heavy caps will definitely impact the horn, most likely in a positive way.

You should try a Hammon heavy weight mello mouthpiece too. It would balance nicely with the added mass you're adding to the mello.

Report back if you get this done!!

I just got my 6 mph yesterday. Huge diff in sound from the curry 3tf I was using.

I just got my 6 mph yesterday. Huge diff in sound from the curry 3tf I was using.

Sweet!

You're now a heavy metal musician!

All you need now are the Hammond Mello Boots and you should be good to go!!:

destroyergene1.jpg

I'm wearing mine right now!

Sweet!

You're now a heavy metal musician!

All you need now are the Hammond Mello Boots and you should be good to go!!:

destroyergene1.jpg

I'm wearing mine right now!

Those will look great with some 1978 crossmen face paint.

I'm willing to risk dressing up a pig.

It doesn't cost much to experiment. Try adding weight by various methods. Wrap some solder around the bottoms of the valve casings, use a few nuts & bolts, etc. Weight is weight, until you need it to look pretty.

Both Allied and Weril have made a couple of decent models, and both have made some real dawgs. And the same can be said for almost every other maker of marching brass.