Curry CCAPS on a dynasty G mellophone?

sssidney

Does anyone play with them (caps) on their legit Bb Trumpet? I have been wanting to try it out but since this is a goo thread any feedback would be great!

On my Bach 37, I use the 3/4" heavy caps. I played around a while and found the best combination for me was one on 1st valve with one extra washer and one on 2nd valve with the o-ring. It really helped with slotting and seemed to correct a couple tuning issues I was dealing with from G-D above the staff. Also, there was definately a change to my sound which is now darker than it was with this tight bell horn.

On my Benge CG, I use the shorter caps with no washers or o-rings. I use this horn primarily for jazz and swing bands. It did not seem to have any effect on darkening up the sound, but pitch and slotting above C is much easier.

On my Kanstul Coliseum, I don't use any caps. Tried them but did not find a suitable outcome. This horn is used out doors and for pepband stuff so the bright sound is prefered. However.....

On my Kanstul Powerbore Sop, I like the changes they mad using the 3/4" caps on 2nd and 3rd valve with no washers or o-rings. Rather odd since the two horns are in basis, the same other than the key.

Now all of that said, as you can see every horn and every person will have a different feel based on how you play. Also, for many "casual" players, you may not even notice an appreciable difference. One warning using these caps If you overtighten them, that can squeeze the bottom of the valve casing resulting in a pinch on the valve and a stuck valve.

Also, if you are a pressure player and you use pressure on the bottom of the valve, the leverage provided by the longer caps can slightly bend the bottom of the valve casing and pinch the valve. I saw this happen with another player that had them on his Schilke B3 with o-rings on all three caps. We looked at it and it seemed that the o-rings provided just enough looseness to the cap that it could move and it bent the threaded portion of the valve casing. A normal valve cap seats up against the flange created by threading the bottom of the valve casing. With the o-ring, the mass of the cap does not seat against that flange thus when pressure was applied, it bent it and pinched the 3rd valve.

Dave - where are you playing these days? Of course, there's always room for you to return to the Dark Side...

Anyhow - I ordered CCaps on Scooters recommendation, but they don't fit my horn. I got the Yamaha Flugel caps for my 204. But no fit.

:lookaround:

Dave - where are you playing these days? Of course, there's always room for you to return to the Dark Side...

Anyhow - I ordered CCaps on Scooters recommendation, but they don't fit my horn. I got the Yamaha Flugel caps for my 204. But no fit.

:lookaround:

I've mainly been playing around the house - driving the wife and kids nuts. I did take my horn to burningman this year

9333_1136867546612_1375062951_30375665_6528327_n.jpg

I really wanted to march one more year before we moved from CA to the east coast. ACK.

I sent an email to Curry about the ccaps but he didn't know the size for my mellophone. I wonder what his return policy is on these?

I've mainly been playing around the house - driving the wife and kids nuts. I did take my horn to burningman this year

9333_1136867546612_1375062951_30375665_6528327_n.jpg

I really wanted to march one more year before we moved from CA to the east coast. ACK.

I sent an email to Curry about the ccaps but he didn't know the size for my mellophone. I wonder what his return policy is on these?

That photo is epic!

Can I use it?

Chris, what size CCaps did you get? Have you tried the Xcaps?

You could take one of your stock caps to a hardware store and ask them to help determine the thread size and pitch. Maybe take the whole horn in case they only have a measureing tool for outside thread diameter. Either that, or maybe you could contact Curry about sending them a cap to see if they can determine the correct cap number to use.

Another option, do you have any trumpets by other makers that Curry lists? Try one of their caps on your horn and see if there is a same size. Ask friends to try theirs until you find a popular brand that fits.

You could take one of your stock caps to a hardware store and ask them to help determine the thread size and pitch. Maybe take the whole horn in case they only have a measureing tool for outside thread diameter. Either that, or maybe you could contact Curry about sending them a cap to see if they can determine the correct cap number to use.

Another option, do you have any trumpets by other makers that Curry lists? Try one of their caps on your horn and see if there is a same size. Ask friends to try theirs until you find a popular brand that fits.

The hardware store idea makes sense! I'll give that a shot.