baritone, euphonium, or....mellophone?

Penn State

Glad you made a decision in regards to the horn of choice for Christmas Service. At my church for Christmas, and Easter for that matter, any and all of those horns would be welcomed. I play tuba every Christmas and Easter, along with at least two electric guitars, a bass guitar, a dulcimer, a harp, various recorders, flutes, clarinets, piano, bongo drums, electronic drum set, and a synthesizer hooked into the electronic organ. We really only use the organ for its MIDI controller abilities for bigger services. When I first started playing, we had a few more people, including two trumpets and an organist.

At my church the music director gives all the musicians copies of choral scores with chords written in. We are all free to play what we feel like. I will routinely play chord roots while the bass guitar winds up picking the bottom note of an inverted chord... adding random dissonances. I will, at times, play whatever the men in the choir are singing, or the written hymn melody or harmony. The closing hymn for Christmas is almost always Joy to the World. Our version is in C, with an SAB vocal scoring. it lies nicely on a C tuba when I play the baritone voice part down an octave, and at fff. No one seems offended. Most of the congregation seems appreciative of a loud tuba. Now to just get some more brass to fill it out!

I tend to chose based on the length of the set, or the genre being played. Longer than 15 minutes and Euph is NOT a prime candidate. Baritone is a little easier to swing around for longer durations. Lots of range demands on the melody and Euph and maybe even Mello is out. Unamplified against an amplified source and Euph and Mello are in. If you're amped, then baritone might be the easier swing. A little late up to bat, but hopefully useful info. With TAN slides and other stuff on modern horns, intonation isn't that big of a deal. Sure it's easier on some horns, but achievable on most horns.

How'd it go, Chris?

How'd it go, Chris?

It was a GREAT night!!! I ended up on the Yamaha bari w/ a Bach 5G mouthpiece. I thought I sounded pretty good which was confirmed by numerous music people and of course their parents. The choir director/organist was very happy with my playing. It truly was the highlight/point of my Christmas....really....I could have received no presents on Christmas day and it would not have mattered at all. Playing that night was very special for me, a night of music making that I will remember for the rest of my life :)