Past Avant Garde Members

Ahh yes....Avant Garde..I remember it well...Had alot of great times. Tough Drum Corps out of the Capital region of New York. Its great to read the comments and storys about AG. (some fact,some fiction) but anyway.............It seems to me that by the late 70's early 80's Juinor Corps were closing down all over the state. I myself am not sure why. Lack of funding and or interest just a few of the problems.......but at any rate AG soon fell victim as well. Now that I think about it, Juinor Corps were falling all over the east coast. We all could sit and name everyone of them with a little thought.

By the early 80's I do know that we had a recruitment program in place. Many of the staffers were traveling out of the area as well as out of state going as far south as the Carolina's / TENN. to draw new members, to some fruition. ( BAM BAM , Roddy, Greg Sease, Kencella brothers, John Cook, Larry Hickman among others) I'll say it now... we could not have done it with out them.

Still... it was not enough to keep the drum corps alive.

In 1985 - AG's last season... many of the CORE members were aging out... the back bone of the drum corps....With no youth to feed the corps and keep it going..... AG folded .

Yes... many of the surviving members went on to march in other corps. 27th, Cadets, etc. Many went on to teach various drum corps, marching bands and winter guards ... with great success.

Successes that I have been following among my Avant Garde friends , since coming back to New York.

Drum Corps Planet being a great vehicle for reconnecting with the drum corps community .... Givn' a shout to ya Brian & Jerry ;-) its been a long time :rolleyes: Just a couple of my older brothers from my AG days.

Fast Forward 2010 .... Excelsior Drum & Bugle Corps - A Field competitive all aged drum corps emerges from the ashes of a once thriving drum corps region, and YES, at the hands of former Avant Garde members, now the back bone of Excelsior. Yes... you guessed it , this is a sales pitch - a pitch to the dormant drum corps families we left behind those many years ago, in hopes to gain your support. ( It's in your blood you know... it never goes away) If it did... you wouldn't be reading this now.

so... As I have followed you.... I ask that you follow us---- all the way to Rochester !

Come be a part of some of AG's Unfinished biz...

Greg Mataruga

Avant Garde '75-'85

Brass Caption

EXCELSIOR Drum & Bugle Corps

paulmataruga@gmail.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHhh Greg Its great to hear from one of my all time favorites! You told it like it is, my old/young friend. Where are you hanging these days? Beside Excelsior. Are you stillplaying one of the meanest (Sapranos) I've ever heard? What a sound you had my friend.

What you say about AG is true, sad but true. Money makes the world go round and there just wasn't enough for one more turn.

Write me if you get a chance. we all have to hook up, maybe even at one of your rehersals

Ahh yes....Avant Garde..I remember it well...Had alot of great times. Tough Drum Corps out of the Capital region of New York. Its great to read the comments and storys about AG. (some fact,some fiction) but anyway.............It seems to me that by the late 70's early 80's Juinor Corps were closing down all over the state. I myself am not sure why. Lack of funding and or interest just a few of the problems.......but at any rate AG soon fell victim as well. Now that I think about it, Juinor Corps were falling all over the east coast. We all could sit and name everyone of them with a little thought.

By the early 80's I do know that we had a recruitment program in place. Many of the staffers were traveling out of the area as well as out of state going as far south as the Carolina's / TENN. to draw new members, to some fruition. ( BAM BAM , Roddy, Greg Sease, Kencella brothers, John Cook, Larry Hickman among others) I'll say it now... we could not have done it with out them.

Still... it was not enough to keep the drum corps alive.

In 1985 - AG's last season... many of the CORE members were aging out... the back bone of the drum corps....With no youth to feed the corps and keep it going..... AG folded .

Yes... many of the surviving members went on to march in other corps. 27th, Cadets, etc. Many went on to teach various drum corps, marching bands and winter guards ... with great success.

Successes that I have been following among my Avant Garde friends , since coming back to New York.

Drum Corps Planet being a great vehicle for reconnecting with the drum corps community .... Givn' a shout to ya Brian & Jerry ;-) its been a long time :rolleyes: Just a couple of my older brothers from my AG days.

Fast Forward 2010 .... Excelsior Drum & Bugle Corps - A Field competitive all aged drum corps emerges from the ashes of a once thriving drum corps region, and YES, at the hands of former Avant Garde members, now the back bone of Excelsior. Yes... you guessed it , this is a sales pitch - a pitch to the dormant drum corps families we left behind those many years ago, in hopes to gain your support. ( It's in your blood you know... it never goes away) If it did... you wouldn't be reading this now.

so... As I have followed you.... I ask that you follow us---- all the way to Rochester !

Come be a part of some of AG's Unfinished biz...

Greg Mataruga

Avant Garde '75-'85

Brass Caption

EXCELSIOR Drum & Bugle Corps

paulmataruga@gmail.com

Great post Greg.

FYI: Greg was the only person to march with the corps from day one to day last. That's what is was all about. I'm sure that Greg had many opportunities to march with one of the "Big" corps,but he stayed to the end.

To Mr Reese: You pretty much nailed it on what the corps was all about.

I also want to let folks know that Jeff Perkins not only gave his heart and soul to the corps but back in the day but was also one of the most well respected Directors in all of Drum Corps.Jeff's dedication and skill not only kept the Avant Garde in business despite the tough times all corps faced,he was also sought out by many other corps, some of them "finalist" corps, for advise and direction. He did so much with so little.

P.S. to Mr. Reese... 2 of the best 2nd place corps on the field at 1975 NY States Phoenix and Avant Garde. We both lost the show, but won the crowd!

jerry

"I also want to let folks know that Jeff Perkins not only gave his heart and soul to the corps but back in the day but was also one of the most well respected Directors in all of Drum Corps.Jeff's dedication and skill not only kept the Avant Garde in business despite the tough times all corps faced,he was also sought out by many other corps, some of them "finalist" corps, for advise and direction. He did so much with so little."

and FYI Jerry Kasier was just as respected and saught after by many corps in that same time period. He was an excellent Drum Major,,one of the very best I have ever witnessed and was highly respected by many of his peers and DCI elite. More over Jerry was a natural leader with the ability to handle tough situations in a very approachable manor. Many a show I knew that our performance was inspired by the guy on the podeum giving 120% of himself before, during, and after the show itself.

Thanks Jer, for all of that and so much more

Edited by BariBrian

What has it been almost 25 years? At least 25 years since Avant Garde folded, 27 if you are a Volunteer. When the Vols & AG merged back then, it was for the preservation of a Junior Drum Corps.

Two groups coming together because drum corps as WE knew it was everything to us. For some it was our lives, where we played, sweat, learned, fought, grew… loved. Some of the best years of our lives were dedicated and committed to each other, to the CORE making it better each year becoming more and more competitive we grew older, and as we matured, so did the corps. Never really realizing that, that which we worked so hard to save was not being carefully preserved…

Preserved through our own involvement with educating new people who would go on to enable the corps to survive… And so… it did not and In 1986, the last Drum & Bugle Corps in the Capital District closed its doors on an era that would end its future here. Sure some folks of course, attempted to bring it back not a junior corps this time but rather an all age corps. Why ?

Because, those who loved and knew drum corps were older now but alas it never really hung on, corps' died out almost as fast as they came up. In 2004 a group of folks decided to give it yet another try A mix of personalities both young and old, some with DCI experience, some Alumni and DCA experience, hoping to some how join their bond into yet another all aged drum corps.

This time setting their sights on only parades, exhibitions and an easy schedule. This turned out, 36 horns several drummers, Honor and Color Guards. The Problem ? The Corps and its staff were on different pages. Some thought compete while other well… just wanted to have a good time and that was o.k., but again not on the same page. Those who wanted to compete left.

It was time for direction and well, not everyone can be a Jeff Perkins or John Rustin, If you get my point.

They say,” Leaders are not born, they are put there by those who would be lead by them” and in June of 2007 Excelsior changed hands. Now under new management (AG style)

the goals changed and it was time to compete… to once again bring competitive drum corps back to the Capital Region.

An opportunity to not only give the mature a chance to do what they loved but, to give youth an opportunity to perform, have 20-40 hours/month of music education, build character, leadership skills, discipline and confidence. I know I don’t have to tell YOU what drum corps is. The problem is… that in our day we did not have to contend with the internet, XBOX, heavy sports schedules, WGI etc. etc. The worse part is...

in today’s society to obtain a music scholarship would be far more easy to accomplish then a sport scholarship, so what are they thinking???

Why is drum corps so dehydrated in the Capital with all the talent in this area ?

Why is it that a kid will do 4-5 hours of football, but cant last 5 hours in a drum corps rehearsal. Is what we do that much more challenging? Have we not taught our kids to have more tenacity then that? Last year a staffer said to me, that it was up to us to make the rehearsal interesting and fun. Exciting enough to want to return. Although an interesting concept, I don’t believe that is the entire problem.

Have you ever noticed when you go into say… a Yankee Candle shop that even though you know what a candle is, how is smells you still need to touch, feel and smell them all AGAIN, How impressive it is, all those candles lined up so neatly...

As I do every year, I attended another drum corps’ rehearsal. I brought my 15 year old son, this time, a soprano in Excelsior’s line. I paid more attention to how much fun and or interaction I had and really there was no real difference between them and us. In fact, my 15 year old said, he thought we were more disciplined and that is saying a lot. However, HOWEVER… he was jumping up and down excited and ill tell you why.

“IT IS ALL ABOUT SIZE”

This line had 65 + horns and let me tell you … it looked good, felt good and smelled good.

So there you have it.

The real answer to the lack of success in this area, not enough folks dedicating their time to their own back yard.

They travel 3-4 plus hours to make some other city some other state more prosperous in drum corps. Bringing their “brick” if you will to someone else’s wall. Never willing to build the foundation of drum corps here, right next to all the people they have marched in drum corps with before.

Drum Corps in the Capital, needs your HELP.

YOU… those of you who are still here, still here, not doing drum corps at all for that matter. I know, too busy, kids, work, wives, husbands etc. I know I’ve been there too,

In my mind. Who knew that “all age drum corps” would be easier to do then that which I remembered. Who knew that now I could include my loved ones and that as a family... we could all do this thing that I loved and was so a part of me. Happily my family was more interested in getting to know a part of me they did not know about before.

They supported me and helped. We have great family outings now, which we did not always have before because, we would choose to work on the house or they would go hang with their friends play XBOX internet whatever…

Now we ....together, grow confidence, spend time together and yet have time apart making new friends while still building a common goal.

I am 43 now.

Through drum corps and because of drum corps I have become a strong and independent person. Continuing to learn skills , growing my family as well as other’s and in all that, drum corps has brought back to me the other love of my life Greg Mataruga ...WHO WAS AVANT GARDE

As most of you know he was one of the soloists for Avant Garde and when the Vols & AG merged we met.

Today, 25 years later, we are together again and we are now married.

Now together we embark on this adventure called Drum Corps . In 2009 Excelsior stepped foot on the competing field – an historic event for the Capital Region. Armed with Avant Garde in our blood a much bigger staff for the 2010 season, Excelsior’s goal is to become more competitive so that we too will look good, feel good and smell good to new on lookers in order to preserve this thing that gave us a start to most of our lives.

Help us to really jump start this, what ever that means for you. Marching, helping, supporting, teaching, recruiting – what ever you are capable of.

Greg and I ask you to help us out in 2010, To not only compete, but to become competitive and pass on the legacy that WE were all apart of creating ….

DRUM CORPS

Mrs. Greg Mataruga

Director - EXCELSIOR Drum & Bugle Corps

Avant Garde

Volunteers Drum & Bugle Corps

excelsiordrumajor@gmail.com

What has it been almost 25 years? At least 25 years since Avant Garde folded, 27 if you are a Volunteer. When the Vols & AG merged back then, it was for the preservation of a Junior Drum Corps.

Two groups coming together because drum corps as WE knew it was everything to us. For some it was our lives, where we played, sweat, learned, fought, grew… loved. Some of the best years of our lives were dedicated and committed to each other, to the CORE making it better each year becoming more and more competitive we grew older, and as we matured, so did the corps. Never really realizing that, that which we worked so hard to save was not being carefully preserved…

Preserved through our own involvement with educating new people who would go on to enable the corps to survive… And so… it did not and In 1986, the last Drum & Bugle Corps in the Capital District closed its doors on an era that would end its future here. Sure some folks of course, attempted to bring it back not a junior corps this time but rather an all age corps. Why ?

Because, those who loved and knew drum corps were older now but alas it never really hung on, corps' died out almost as fast as they came up. In 2004 a group of folks decided to give it yet another try A mix of personalities both young and old, some with DCI experience, some Alumni and DCA experience, hoping to some how join their bond into yet another all aged drum corps.

This time setting their sights on only parades, exhibitions and an easy schedule. This turned out, 36 horns several drummers, Honor and Color Guards. The Problem ? The Corps and its staff were on different pages. Some thought compete while other well… just wanted to have a good time and that was o.k., but again not on the same page. Those who wanted to compete left.

It was time for direction and well, not everyone can be a Jeff Perkins or John Rustin, If you get my point.

They say,” Leaders are not born, they are put there by those who would be lead by them” and in June of 2007 Excelsior changed hands. Now under new management (AG style)

the goals changed and it was time to compete… to once again bring competitive drum corps back to the Capital Region.

An opportunity to not only give the mature a chance to do what they loved but, to give youth an opportunity to perform, have 20-40 hours/month of music education, build character, leadership skills, discipline and confidence. I know I don’t have to tell YOU what drum corps is. The problem is… that in our day we did not have to contend with the internet, XBOX, heavy sports schedules, WGI etc. etc. The worse part is...

in today’s society to obtain a music scholarship would be far more easy to accomplish then a sport scholarship, so what are they thinking???

Why is drum corps so dehydrated in the Capital with all the talent in this area ?

Why is it that a kid will do 4-5 hours of football, but cant last 5 hours in a drum corps rehearsal. Is what we do that much more challenging? Have we not taught our kids to have more tenacity then that? Last year a staffer said to me, that it was up to us to make the rehearsal interesting and fun. Exciting enough to want to return. Although an interesting concept, I don’t believe that is the entire problem.

Have you ever noticed when you go into say… a Yankee Candle shop that even though you know what a candle is, how is smells you still need to touch, feel and smell them all AGAIN, How impressive it is, all those candles lined up so neatly...

As I do every year, I attended another drum corps’ rehearsal. I brought my 15 year old son, this time, a soprano in Excelsior’s line. I paid more attention to how much fun and or interaction I had and really there was no real difference between them and us. In fact, my 15 year old said, he thought we were more disciplined and that is saying a lot. However, HOWEVER… he was jumping up and down excited and ill tell you why.

“IT IS ALL ABOUT SIZE”

This line had 65 + horns and let me tell you … it looked good, felt good and smelled good.

So there you have it.

The real answer to the lack of success in this area, not enough folks dedicating their time to their own back yard.

They travel 3-4 plus hours to make some other city some other state more prosperous in drum corps. Bringing their “brick” if you will to someone else’s wall. Never willing to build the foundation of drum corps here, right next to all the people they have marched in drum corps with before.

Drum Corps in the Capital, needs your HELP.

YOU… those of you who are still here, still here, not doing drum corps at all for that matter. I know, too busy, kids, work, wives, husbands etc. I know I’ve been there too,

In my mind. Who knew that “all age drum corps” would be easier to do then that which I remembered. Who knew that now I could include my loved ones and that as a family... we could all do this thing that I loved and was so a part of me. Happily my family was more interested in getting to know a part of me they did not know about before.

They supported me and helped. We have great family outings now, which we did not always have before because, we would choose to work on the house or they would go hang with their friends play XBOX internet whatever…

Now we ....together, grow confidence, spend time together and yet have time apart making new friends while still building a common goal.

I am 43 now.

Through drum corps and because of drum corps I have become a strong and independent person. Continuing to learn skills , growing my family as well as other’s and in all that, drum corps has brought back to me the other love of my life Greg Mataruga ...WHO WAS AVANT GARDE

As most of you know he was one of the soloists for Avant Garde and when the Vols & AG merged we met.

Today, 25 years later, we are together again and we are now married.

Now together we embark on this adventure called Drum Corps . In 2009 Excelsior stepped foot on the competing field – an historic event for the Capital Region. Armed with Avant Garde in our blood a much bigger staff for the 2010 season, Excelsior’s goal is to become more competitive so that we too will look good, feel good and smell good to new on lookers in order to preserve this thing that gave us a start to most of our lives.

Help us to really jump start this, what ever that means for you. Marching, helping, supporting, teaching, recruiting – what ever you are capable of.

Greg and I ask you to help us out in 2010, To not only compete, but to become competitive and pass on the legacy that WE were all apart of creating ….

DRUM CORPS

Mrs. Greg Mataruga

Director - EXCELSIOR Drum & Bugle Corps

Avant Garde

Volunteers Drum & Bugle Corps

excelsiordrumajor@gmail.com

I would just make one correction here if I may. The Volunteers were not part of that original Merger. It was between the Spieglaires and the Emerald Knights.

I salute you for what you are doing with Excelsior and wish you the very best. I will also say that if ANY of my old friends are out there and considering marching again to please march with our LOCAL friends in Excelsior.

Best wishes Mrs. Mataruga

I would just make one correction here if I may. The Volunteers were not part of that original Merger. It was between the Spieglaires and the Emerald Knights.

I salute you for what you are doing with Excelsior and wish you the very best. I will also say that if ANY of my old friends are out there and considering marching again to please march with our LOCAL friends in Excelsior.

Best wishes Mrs. Mataruga

Yes Brian, When AG first came about - it was Speig's ad Emerald k. But In the 80's The DCI Corps The Volunteers - Who I marched with under the direction of John Rustin ~ and were the feeder unit to the Spiegelaires ....

also falling under the same issues that AG did - merged into or rather came to Garde in order to make a larger DCI Corps for the area. We placed 16th - The CORE members of The Vols. and the remaining CORE members of AG were all the most dedicated, talented and still under age in the area. It was a phenomenal time in both corps histories... Anyway I am glad to have seen 2 great directors work out a successful plan to keep drum corps going in this region.

Thank you for the great words of support Brian ! Have a happy New Year

Donel

Yes Brian, When AG first came about - it was Speig's ad Emerald k. But In the 80's The DCI Corps The Volunteers - Who I marched with under the direction of John Rustin ~ and were the feeder unit to the Spiegelaires ....

also falling under the same issues that AG did - merged into or rather came to Garde in order to make a larger DCI Corps for the area. We placed 16th - The CORE members of The Vols. and the remaining CORE members of AG were all the most dedicated, talented and still under age in the area. It was a phenomenal time in both corps histories... Anyway I am glad to have seen 2 great directors work out a successful plan to keep drum corps going in this region.

Thank you for the great words of support Brian ! Have a happy New Year

Donel

Donel I wish you and Greg the very best with the New Year and the Excelsior. I wish that I were in the position to march, but thats a long story. However, if there are ANY Avant Garde members out there reading this and are local. I certainly hope that they embrace another oppurtunity to capture that feeling that we all had together once again. It was a feeling that I've never experienced since. All you AG members out there in the Capital Dist area MARCH LOCAL!!!!