[Review A Class] Miamisburg Show 1/30 & 1/31

PrfctTimeOfDay

I can’t believe the season is already here! I was lucky enough to take in the Miamisburg show this weekend and was impressed with all the shows I got to see this weekend. I will try and give you a few of my thoughts on each group. I’m in the middle of working on my thesis, so I’m not sure how much detail I’ll go into as my brain is on the fritz. But, I hope this will give you an idea of what each group is doing.

SA

Bellbrook: Show is entitled Turn to Stone and they are using a piece by the same name by Ingrid Michaelson. . which by the way. .I LOVE! It’s been on my ipod for a while and I had hoped someone would do a show to this song! The guard is clad in all stone gray with their faces painted to match. They start in a stone like position and then a solo sabre kicks of the show. As more sabres are added in we start to see the sophistication of this design with added layers of flag work and rifle work. There is some great partner work and the ending white flag feature at the end is just divine. The show ends with one member walking forward and ending back in her statue pose. I think they are probably still working on the ‘real’ ending. . .and I can’t wait to see what they come up with. If this group keeps pushing they very well could find themselves in SA finals come WGI.

guard022-1.jpg

Brookville: Show is entitled Accused. It looks like they are taking on the salem witch trials as their theme. I was amazed to see 15? Members.. .as I believe their fall guard had 4. Nonetheless, I was impressed with how well these kids handle their equipment book. They had some really big tosses and executed the content of their show. Being so early in the season, this show was still incomplete, but has great potential to it. I don’t remember much flag work, but it may be added in later in the show.

guard014-1.jpg

Carroll: This is my winter song to you, the storm is coming soon, it rolls in from the sea! ;-) Thank you Carroll. I’ve been waiting for someone to do a show to winter song! You may have guessed that Carroll’s show is entitled Winter Song. With 7 members, Carroll is a case study in small but strong. Continuing to build their program back to national prominence, Carroll is well on their way with a very complex weapon book and beautiful flag work. They were probably one of the most unison groups today. Beautiful gray flags start the show which is augmented by some fantastic weapon work. I was impressed with the intricate sabre and rifle moves that these girls are pulling off and pulling off well. The show while not complete yet, was a fav of mine.

guard038-1.jpg

Firestone Slow me down is the name of Firestone’s show. The music is of the same title, by Emmy Rossum. You may recognize it as the same piece Ventures used last season. Firestone actually played with the speed of the soundtrack. .actually speeding it up and then slowing it down…ha! Nicely done creative staff! While this group was young and appeared to be still learning the show, they showed great perseverance in getting back in time and selling their performance. There was a nice emerald green flag feature that employed the use of partner work that was quite nice. I believe as the year continues this show will keep on getting better.

guard040-1.jpg

Grove City: Duality, you say!? Yes, Grove City is doing a show entitled Duality. First of all, Welcome back!! ;-) Grove City lost all their activities this fall. .including all sports as well as marching band/colorguard because of a school levy defeat. They passed an emergency levy in November and got their activities back! Hooray! Anyway, This show starts with mirror imaged performers doing matching work on either side of the guard which is doing body in a straight line. As the show progresses , we added in beautiful layers of rifle, sabre and flag work which leads to a wonderful pink flag feature that really shows how large and talented this group is. The show ends with another flag feature, this time in blue with equally impressive work!

guard010-1.jpg

Kettering-Fairmont I’ve heard numerous shows titles for Fairmont’s show, so I’m going with the one I like best! HA! So.. .Fairmont’s show is entitled (at least for the time being) When the Water Comes Alive. First thing I noticed about this show. . the girls LOVE it. There’s just something extra special watching a show you can tell the performers love. . and they love this show! Guess what? I love it too. I like that from a design standpoint they decided to pop the show with blues in the silks instead of making it overtly heavy with a blue tarp and blue unis etc. . .I love the gold/copper metalic unis they have. . it gives it a sophisticated feel. They start the show in the back corner and coming out with a triad of weapons, flags and girls with beige fabric. The show builds and builds ending with an all out blue flag feature that showcases the guards strength on flag. Make sure you watch the rifle work in the middle of the show. . .great stuff going on there. Fairmont also continues to get better each year! This show has great potential!

guard027-1.jpg

Lakota West has probably the cutest show concept: Colorguard for Dummies. Much like the book series, this is a how to on everything colorgaurd. It start with dance, moves to flag, rifle, sabre. . .etc. As you may have already surmised, during each respective section is what the guard is performing with. Still in its early stages, this show had me smiling throughout its duration and I anticipate seeing it again and where the design team is going to take this. They have the potential to really hit it out of the park. I really love that the girls really got into character and sold this concept.

guard003-1.jpg

Mason is performing a show entitled Empty Garden. It is a show that is in memory of John Lennon. Also, still incomplete at this early stage of the season, I was impressed with some really great flag and weapon work. I’m a sucker for unison flag work and it seemed like every flag passage they had was in unison. They have a wonderful rifle soloist that floats along their gorgeous tarp and back into the ensemble. The Empty Garden is going to be a show you’ll want to catch

guard006-1.jpg

New Philadelphia is performing a show entitled Blueprint. The music is a vocal version of Rhapsody in Blue. I was particularly struck by their uniforms that have a cut out of them in the back and I thought were quite sharp. Layered flag and equipment made up a good portion of this program that finally gave way to an all blue flag feature with some daring tosses.

guard032-1.jpg

Springboro : Drag me away in the concept of Springboro’s show which is set to Wild Horses. Outfitted in a beautiful metallic gold and cream uni, Springboro took partner work to a whole new level. A good portion of this show involves exchanges between members, regardless of the equipment they might be on.

Westerville: A view from the park bench. Oh my. . .Westerville is uber impressive. When I don’t have to think about the design and the show just flows. . .you know that you’re doing something right…and you are doing something right. It’s rare I can just sit back and just watch a show and enjoy what’s being performed, but this show was pure fun. They made a tough show, look easy, with some amazing rifle work, intricate flag moves and incorporating all the elements of the dreaded triad into a cohesive GE spectacular. They along with Bellbrook are the 2 groups I think might have a shot at SA finals this season at WGI. Yes, Westerville is that good, and better than that. . they’re fun! ;-)

IA

Collage is performing a show entitled: Part of me. I can appreciate an abstract theme and uniqueness to the activity, but I thought something just wasn’t translating from the floor to the audience. I think the dancer seemed out of place and distracted a bit from what it was you were ultimately trying to achieve. . .but I have to say, the guard knows how to spin and is loaded with talent, it’s the design that had me scratching my head a bit.

New Alliance: A new unit this year, this group is performing a show entitled Joy. Clad in Yellow, the group opens with a flag feature that seems to go on for days (which I like) The Weapons seemed to have a bit of a rough day today, but I can appreciate some of the difficult work that is being asked of them. Again, it’s early and I’m sure as comfort level improves, so will everything else. It was pleasure! Welcome!

guard052-1.jpg

World Class is in another thread (I had to break them up b/c of space)

Also. . .I took over 100 pictures. . you can see them at the link below, if you wish! :-)

http://s863.photobucket.com/home/wintergua...?view=slideshow

Sorry to Collage, Juxtaposition, Springboro and Westerville. . I forgot my camera on Saturday, so I only got pics from the Sunday Groups. .

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay