[Dayton Regional] SW Class

Avon’s show explores the life and struggles of those who are homeless. Set on a neutral floor of various homeless signs, the guard begins in a tight knit circle as a lone girl is raised from the circle displaying a sign much like the one below. Set to emotional music of Cloudburst, the show is layered with wonderful work and texture. Impressive technique and writing punctuates this show. But overwhelming, the emotion of this show is conveyed through the members themselves as they transform the pain of needing a helping hand. They’ll be in the medal hunt again

avon.jpg

Carmel is performing, you never know. Taken from the line in Forrest Gump, that life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get. The chocolate theme is illustrated through the digital print on the floor, their unis and flags. Carmel had by far the best designed show in SW. The writing, the concept, the intellectual quality are top notch, and it is my feeling that they will at some point pass Avon this season. What Carmel needs to focus on is execution. They had lots of drops in prelims and finals, but to their credit. . they have one tough book as well. I’m just blown away by how smartly written this show is and how great the performers are.

carmel.jpg

Warren Central is performing Bloodline. Set on a black tarp with a diagonal red line that is clad with round gold medallions, Warren show is an intense show that builds and builds, much like their soundtrack. You will see Warren’s trademark furious flag feature, as well as their double fast feature…which I of course love. I love the color of their red silks that pop off the black backdrop. They also have a tough weapon book, which is being executed fairly well for this point in the season.

wgidaytonreg329.jpg

Miamisburg is taking us on a journey into a wonderful woman’s world. Exploring a stylistic change, while still remaining true to the Burg roots, Miamisburg starts the show with amazing sabre tosses, that reach for the heavens. Added in are neutral flags that start to augment the sounds from the Great Expectations soundtrack. I have to admit ‘the great expectations’ section is my favorite. It’s intense with wonderful and powerful flag work, that is matched by an equally powerful rifle book. Those rifles are hot! I think Miamisburg’s training and technique is sometimes overlooked, because they do it so well, but in the day and age of running through phases and transitions, Miamisburg like Center Grove has stayed true the fundamentals of ‘quality’ guard work and I hope they get rewarded for that. The Burg’s show ends on a soft and charming note but not before we are treated to a wonderful iridescent flag feature.

wgidaytonreg274.jpg

Center Grove explores a show entitled: More than enough. The simple minimalistic nature of their show is portrayed through all elements in this design. Subtly is the key here and the intellectual quality is quite high brow. There is no spoon feeding you of GE/concept, rather it is revealed through their exquisite work and graceful movement. Like Miamisburg, CG’s training and technique is superior and that is fundamental to this show in which the work that each member performs is quite exposed. You have to have a lot of faith in the talent of your guard to pull off a show like this, and CG always rises to the occasion. Wonderful flag moments in this show!! Watch for them!

wgidaytonreg326.jpg

Centerville: Long live the fallen Queen! Centerville explores the life and subsequent death of Marie Antoinette. The show takes on a genius chess theme and opens with one of the best flag features of the season. A wonderful soundtrack paves the way for some wonderful rifle and sabre moments. There is a lot of texture to this show with layered flag and weapon work. I’ve said it before, but this is the best Centerville guard I’ve seen in many years. The fact that they beat Miamisburg in prelims and were close to CG is evidence on how strong they are this season. I don’t get their movement scores in finals, as Centerville moves better than almost anyone in SW. Weird? That said, this is a show that fans are going to LOVE, and the performers are really selling this show.. it’s amazing

wgidaytonreg307.jpg

Marian Catholic explores a show entitled: Ashes to Ashes. Set in tones of grey’s and blacks the show is set on the cobblestone of graveyard. ..and opens with a member who is an AMAZING dancer. Wow, I could watch her all day! Not to be out done, the guard’s talent level has been supersized and it’s evidenced with an extremely difficult weapon book. Flags are in shades of black and burgundy until we get a wonderful cream flag feature near the end, and it is wonderful! The show starts and ends with a grieving woman being consoled by a friend underneath an umbrella.

wgidaytonreg272.jpg

Northview: Life is beautiful is the name of their show and explores the beats of bolero with a little rufus wainwright thrown in. I love Northview’s opening movement and how well they integrate their props and backdrops. Wonderful job doing that. Really strong weapon skills highlight this show, as well as the members and show transforming from black into a polychromatic color palette.

wgidaytonreg264.jpg

Northmont brings to us a show about flight. Set in wonderful oranges and warm colors, Northmont again has an insanely hard weapon book that is lacking a bit in execution, but I have faith they will get this show tight in time for WGI. Great partner work and flag moments underscore brilliant moments in this show!

wgidaytonreg253.jpg

Overall, SW is a bloodbath. . there are SO many good groups this year and while I think 7 of these groups will make finals. . .it would not surprise me if somehow they all get in. Scoring was VERY weird this weekend in this class. Inconsistent and almost schizophrenic. Maybe it was because the talent is so high, or maybe it was poor numbers management. . I don’t know, but I think Miamisburg got unjustly dumped in prelims and Centerville unfortunately took it in Finals. Both whom I thought would be a head of CG. Scores seemed a bit low for those 3 as well. But that’s just my own personal opinion. . .so what do I know? :-)

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay