Mellophone solos

kimmlah

First of all, I'd like to say how sad it is that when I type in "mellophone" it shows up as a typo and the spelling suggestion is "cellophane"...

Anyway, I was wondering what solos are good for mello? I've been playing for a few years and I want to start working on some solos both for personal improvement and so I'll be ready to audition for DCI next year. I'm a French horn major, and some pieces I've worked on sound cool on the mello, but I was wondering what other people have played? Are there any pieces written for mello or do we always just play horn pieces? Thanks!

First of all, I'd like to say how sad it is that when I type in "mellophone" it shows up as a typo and the spelling suggestion is "cellophane"...

Anyway, I was wondering what solos are good for mello? I've been playing for a few years and I want to start working on some solos both for personal improvement and so I'll be ready to audition for DCI next year. I'm a French horn major, and some pieces I've worked on sound cool on the mello, but I was wondering what other people have played? Are there any pieces written for mello or do we always just play horn pieces? Thanks!

I doubt that there are many true mellophone solo compositions in circulation. After all, it IS a ba#tard instrument. ( I know, I've honked on one for years. ) For reference, years ago a kid from Empire Statesmen performed the classic Arban variations on "Carnival of Venice" for DCA I&E and did a tremendous job on it to win the medal.

From where I sit, I don't think it is as much WHAT you play. It is more about HOW WELL you play.

Good luck to you, and as the jazz musicians always say "Keep practicing!".

one could probably get away with a piece written for trumpet or for high horn. If it's just for an audition, i don't see anything wrong with it.

I agree with the person who suggested Arban's. Some of the characteristic studies, having been written for cornet, might actually work better on mellophone than trumpet.

Also, check out the James Stamp upper register etudes for trumpet. They have a very "horn-like" quality to them and are a good way to demonstrate control in the upper register.

These are some good suggestions, thanks! I'll definitely have to get a copy of Arban's, it's a good book to have, anyway

Consider the melody of "Chase the Clouds Away", beginning on concert B. That would invite comparison with Bonny Ott's classic solo/duet of course, but you do want to show you have command of the horn.

(This assumes you are performing on an F Mello, naturally.)

Edited by ironlips