2 Trumpets, one drummer wanted

Sunday, 6/13, Troy Flag Day Parade

To march with one of our parade units.

Experienced, fear-less, corp-style drummer to play bass or toms.

2 solid trumpet players who can come up to speed quickly.

We are performing this year with a maximum of 20 players, and we have 35 on the roster for parades, all of whom are scheduled for one time or another this Spring. But on a few dates we are marching 2 units, and that leaves us short a couple of players on this date.

This is a great opportunity to perform with an excellent parade unit that lights up the street with fun and great music. And it could lead to more gigs down the road.

FYI: SNAP! will, once again, be marching along with the Hellions of Troy Roller Derby team. It was a HOOT, last year!

e-mail link is below....

23704_1348622709917_1061810268_2395207_188274_n.jpg

Hoosick Falls St. Patrick's Day - 2010 (with Tony Gambaro and Scott Thompson on the same gig - OUCH! - the rest of the trumpets were no slouches, either: Terry Gordon, Kevin Hendrick and Terry Stoliker and 2 more, me and Andrew Bisnett, pushed off to Mello and Bari, due to trumpet overload!)

DSCF1204%20-%20Copy.JPG

Troy Flag Day parade - 2009 - (with the Hellions of Troy Roller Derby team)

Edited by capitalbrass

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although all spots are filled for our other dates, so far... opportunities to sub will come up , as the season goes on. AND, we're still being offered gigs on dates where we're already booked, so we'll likely be doubling up again.

Our schedule page has been updated, as well as the upcoming gigs, on our Home page... for those who want a look at what is coming up:

Capital Brass!

Both CB! and SNAP! have gone over SUPER, so far this year; and are in high demand. I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Edited by capitalbrass

Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting yourselves to 20 members? I assume that you must have a good reason?? I always felt that the more horn players, the merrier.

Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting yourselves to 20 members? I assume that you must have a good reason?? I always felt that the more horn players, the merrier.

We tried, for 3 years, to get an Alumni corps going, where we took everyone who wanted to march..... going for size and volume ... and calling everyone out to participate (with a VERY low level of cost, commitment and appearances). But the interest from the immediate area was almost nil. We were able to produce, for a few events, a moderate sized, pretty decent sounding corps ( 2008 NY State Legion Champs) by combining the Capital Brass! guys with many players from 20th Century Limited Drum Corps, and a (very) few others. But local corps alums just were not interested or dependable, and after 3 years of trying, it was time for another idea.

In 2008, we decided that, if it was going to be small anyway, we would aim for a professional-level group, that could pull off the "future-corps"-size ensemble well enough for sponsors to be willing to pay for it. Since we didn't have a corps-style drum line, we borrowed 3 drummers from Brass-O-Mania! and sold the corps as a "Mardi-Gras style parade group. That group morphed into what we now call "Strange News from Another Planet" (SNAP!)... an incredibly flexible horn ensemble which can perform with 5 to 20 players, in a number of configurations. It was a huge success in 2009.

This year, answering the call from some for a corps-style parade group; we decided to bring CB! back into the parade business as well; also as a group not depending on large numbers to make an impact.

So both groups are set at 17 horns and 3 perc, max. We feel that it is a reasonable number of quality players for us to go for, and we can also be more choosey about the level of players we accept, since there are limited spots. So far, it's worked out quite well!

We would, however, like to expand by adding a small, working guard for the CB! Parade Corps. We've had some interest. But, we'll need a leader to step up and help to make that part happen.

Edited by capitalbrass

We tried, for 3 years, to get an Alumni corps going, where we took everyone who wanted to march..... going for size and volume ... and calling everyone out to participate (with a VERY low level of cost and commitment). But the interest from the immediate area was almost nil. We were able to produce, for a few events, a moderate sized, pretty decent sounding corps ( 2008 NY State Legion Champs) by combining the Capital Brass! guys with players from 20th Century Limited Drum Corps, and a (very) few others. But local corps alums just were not interested or dependable, and after 3 years of trying, it was time for another idea.

In 2008, we decided that, if it was going to be small anyway, we would aim for a professional-level group, that could pull off the "future-corps"-size ensemble well enough for sponsors to be willing to pay for it. Since we didn't have a corps-style drum line, we borrowed 3 drummers from Brass-O-Mania! and sold the corps as a "Mardi-Gras style parade group. That group morphed into what we now call "Strange News from Another Planet" (SNAP!)... an incredibly flexible horn ensemble which can perform with 5 to 20 players, in a number of configurations. It was a huge success in 2009.

This year, answering the call from some for a corps-style parade group; we decided to bring CB! back into the parade business as well; also as a group not depending on large numbers to make an impact.

So both groups are set at 15 horns and 3 perc, max... we feel that it a reasonable number of quality players for us to go for, and we can also be more choosy about the level of players we accept, since there are limited spots. So far, it's worked out quite well!

We would, however, like to expand by adding a small, working guard for CB!. We've had some interest. But, we'll need a leader to step up and help to make that part happen.

I obviously did not realize that you are a professional organization - I always had to pay to be in a corps. I figure that the $.50 plastic medal that I got for being a part of the 2002 championship Mini Corps cost me about $150,000.00 over several decades:))

I obviously did not realize that you are a professional organization - I always had to pay to be in a corps. I figure that the $.50 plastic medal that I got for being a part of the 2002 championship Mini Corps cost me about $150,000.00 over several decades:))

The parade units ARE run as professional ensembles. Much like Hitmen, Prime Time Brass, and most Adult parade groups in our region.

But, aside from our Music Director, NONE of the guys in Capital Brass!, proper, are professionals. CB! is made up of music students and serious amatuers (including two recent grads hoping to get teaching gigs).

However, the rest of the players who fill out the CB! Parade Corps and SNAP! ARE predominantly Band Directors, private instructors, and local full or part-time music pros. There are also a few more hobbyists and students, who don't play regularly with CB!, but who will perform in a few parades. So, the parade group players have a real mix of backgrounds.

I might add... that, in 2007, my partner and I laid out about $20,000 out of our own pockets for a nice set of King instruments, to provide for drum corps alums who might want to join up. Among other benefits of going leaner: we were able to reduce that inventory substantially.

Edited by capitalbrass

We've been using two new parade tunes this, year, which have both gone over really well with the crowds:

Big Noise from Winectka

and The Saint's Hallelujah

added to our parade standards:

Late in the Evening

Peter Gunn

Everybody's Everything

Danny Boy

America

Edited by capitalbrass

We could also take a mellophone, instead of a trumpet, and move one of ours over. We're using 3 mellos for parades, but all three play trumpet for us, too.

I've had several inquiries from low brass players, including a contra player who approached me at the parade today..... Right now we have plenty of low brass signed up for parades. However, we're always on the look-out for qualified players, in any section, for our core group, Capital Brass! (Brass Ensemble); and any new Brass Ensemble regulars would be given priority as gig opportunities come up.

Edited by capitalbrass

It's been a great ride, so far!

After an absence of 13 years, we've brought the corps back, and in the last 3 or so years, our little group has experienced so much...

- a dozen I & E and Mini-corps competitions

- many concerts for shut-ins , Veterans organizations and charity events

- soon to be a 4-year run of performances at the Saratoga Race Track

- our 3rd invitation, this July, to perform at the Lake George Community Band Festival with groups from all over the N.East and Canada

- 2008 NY State American Legion Title for our All Star Alumni parade corps

- Ron Ghetti and Interstatesmen Tribute ensembles

- coordinating the 2008 Harrisburg MCA Invitational

- hosting the 2008 MCA Championship

- Recording of Brass Section feature and backgrounds for upcoming Blues Evolution CD!

- learning a ton of great music

- Recital at College of St. Rose Music School

- performances at several Church and school functions

- a variety of performances at drum corps events, including Indoor Shows, DCI shows and Drum Corps reunions

- several opportunities to perform along with pros from BOM!

- later this year, our first charity Christmas Concert: "A Capital Brass Christmas"

and now, the Capital Brass! Parade Corps has returned to the street!

And all on a part-time basis, with just 2-1/2 hours of week-night rehearsals , Jan-Jun, and bi-weekly in the summer. We've also been able to manage a schedule that balances our hobby with our family lives.... and still have a BLAST!

Edited by capitalbrass