Very Short Stillwater Review ...

... from my 77 year old mother who hadn't been to a drum corps show since

the 1980's. I asked her if drum corps has as good as she remembered back in

the day. She said this:

"It's better. There's a lot more going on to look at. And there were some sounds

that I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Some of the guard

costumes were kinda weird though."

:tongue:

OK, here's a bit more.

Was busy helping out MBI so didn't see Racine Scouts, Colt Cadets, or Govies ... sorry.

MBI: I am biased and admit it. Show design keeps getting better each year. The pace of

the show is very fast for an all-ager. The crisp marching technique and body movements

really make it hard to distinguish them juniors. Arabian themed music is fun to listen to

and not overused. Guard costume colors are really striking and effective. Some dirt in

the playing but, hey, it's June.

Colts: really ambitious technical show that may need some watering down. Would like to

hear more full ensemble impact. Really love the red uni's especially when they perform in

daylight.

Madison Scouts: They really have re-established their old style well. Musically oriented show

with some modern body movements. Could really use more sections with a faster pace though,

as some of the excitement slows down as a result. Probably the best tuba features I've ever seen.

Blue Stars: Really good use of musical and visual special effects but the show really had no

striking melodic themes. Overall sound and look was superb. The Houdini theme really was not

utilized much except at the opening with the guard in straight jackets. This show really

could use some ... dare I say it ... MIRRORS!

Cadets: Very entertaining show based on a child interacting with toy soldiers. A bit overdone

and tiresome by the end. Would like to hear some more tension but the theme really doesn't

allow it. Another great Cadets ending but couldn't see it well in that small stadium.

Cavaliers: My favorite of the night. The music really has a lot of depth, much more so that

in previous years. Drew Shanefield has really put down some interesting horn licks that are

fun to listen to. Again, looks like some great visuals out there but couldn't see due to the

venue. I don't mind the electronics but the low bass stuff was really overdone so please crank it

down.

Great show! One of the best Drum Beauty's in my memory, which goes all the way back to 1976!

Edited by BDUFLS