Summer Music Games 2010 Fairfield, OH

Alright, so I'm possibly the worst reviewer in the history of reviewing, but I'll just throw something out there about the Summer Music Games in Fairfield, OH that happened on Monday 7/12.

Cincinnati Tradition - 58.50 - Not going to comment aside from I felt that we improved from our last show. Anything else would seem biased :thumbup:

Legends - 67.30 - Did not see their performance since I was changing out of my uniform from Tradition's performance. I did happen to stop by their rehearsal earlier that afternoon and caught a full run through. For their size they have a decent sound. Some interesting music, not sure of the show title/theme. One of the songs was Troy though, I'm assuming from the movie.

Teal Sound - 70.60 - Also did not see their performance, except for the very end. However, I heard them outside of the stadium. When the guitar's amps are not directly in front of you, the blend is much better and it actually makes a surprising effect on the show.

Crossmen - 73.80 - First time I saw Crossmen this season. I don't remember most of the show at this point, but there were some nice moments. I'd have to see them again.

Blue Stars - 80.85 - A lot of holes. There were several boxes in the beginning of the program that did not have key guard members, such as the one to be put in the box. No complaints about the show from me, just the amount of holes.

Boston Crusaders - 81.00 - First time I've seen this show as well. I thought the whole royalty theme was nicely done. The throne was an interesting prop, and some of the visuals the hornline did, including standing baritone players holding soprano players who are kneeling on their shoulders. That was a very gutsy move for sure. I'd have been very fearful of that move! The guard's costumes were appropriately themed, with all of them in various royal dresses or pantaloons.

Phantom Regiment - 83.70 - Also first time this season. They had some great powerful moments. I though the soloist was very good. For those who have not seen the show yet, I will not ruin it, but the ending is very anti-climactic. The audience gave applause at the end of the music, and then it died down, until the drum major saluted again, so most people weren't sure that was the end.

Bluecoats - 85.85 - Improvement over the past several times I've seen the show. I'm still not a fan of the auto-tuner during the solo in Movement 4. The drill in Mvt 4. and the song itself are both very difficult, and it's being cleaned up nicely.

The encore performance was by Phantom Regiment. They did a standard horn arc with contras seated in front. The best moment of the night, for me, was the opener of their encore: the first movement from Defiant Heart, as written for G horns, back in 1996. It sounded amazing. They played another piece or two I was not familiar with, and ended their performance with selections from 1812 Overture.

If anyone has anything to add, please do. Like I said, I'm hardly the person to be reviewing, but since it seems no one else went, I'd throw something out there.