Atlanta Review

I'm going to do this review, and not include anything about the shows or corps...because that'd be irrelevant and take too much time.

I had the chance to sit on the field and watch all 25 corps all day long. It was a great experience. I guess these reviews are intended to let other fans know how the show went, mainly referring to the venue, show operations...etc.

I didn't go many places, other than the field. I've been attending the Atlanta show since 2006, and have only observed one problem over these years, especially last night. The "marketplace" as they call it, tends to get very crowded. I remember this being a problem in years before, but last night it was really bad. I know there's probably not any way to fix this problem, because we can't just expand the dome for the souvie tables. I really can't find the reason to complain too much about this, because everything about this show has always been great!

I hope DCI plans to return to the Dome for many years, because it really is a great venue for Drum Corps.

I'm going to do this review, and not include anything about the shows or corps...because that'd be irrelevant and take too much time.

I had the chance to sit on the field and watch all 25 corps all day long. It was a great experience. I guess these reviews are intended to let other fans know how the show went, mainly referring to the venue, show operations...etc.

I didn't go many places, other than the field. I've been attending the Atlanta show since 2006, and have only observed one problem over these years, especially last night. The "marketplace" as they call it, tends to get very crowded. I remember this being a problem in years before, but last night it was really bad. I know there's probably not any way to fix this problem, because we can't just expand the dome for the souvie tables. I really can't find the reason to complain too much about this, because everything about this show has always been great!

I hope DCI plans to return to the Dome for many years, because it really is a great venue for Drum Corps.

:worthy:

Looking for a real review!

One thing that would help is to NOT block off the other side of the middle concourse.

I was in section 113 and wanted to go to souvie-land, but had to cross the entire crowd to get there.

Would have been much easier to allow people to go around the longer way.

I figured nobody cared to read my opinions on the corps, but it seems that's what people want to hear. So, I'll do that instead:

23. Pioneer: I got everything I expected from Pioneer, and nothing more. I've been waiting for them to improve drastically, but it hasn't happened. There were too many flaws in their show to get anything higher than 23rd.

22. Cascades: I absolutely loved this show believe it or not! The intro was so surprising, but catchy at the same time. When all the members broke down with the weird sound effects, I liked it. Especially loved the Badminton/Football in the pre-show.

21. Jersey Surf: Really didn't do much for me. They were solid, but I didn't see anything impressive. Should have been 22nd behind Cascades in my opinion.

20. Mandarins: I've never thought too much of Mandarins, and actually wondered a few years back why their tenors had 6 stick bags...but that's beside the point. Mandarins impressed me more than I thought this year, and were better than I've ever seen them.

19. Teal Sound: For their first year in World Class, they've done pretty good. Me being from Alabama, I have to like Teal. However, the guitar solos weren't working for me. I had to listen close to even hear what was being played...and it wasn't the best I've heard. But good job for first year in WC.

18. Pacific Crest: Never hear too much out of these guys, but I was impressed. Pretty solid show all the way around.

17. Crossmen: I've always liked the Crossmen, and always will. But I'm not understanding their shows here lately. I get the "bones" thing...but the show in Atlanta was just kinda "there." Nothing very impressive about it.

16. Spirit: Alright...this one is gonna be lengthy. Diehard Spirit fan and always will be. I'm loving their show, uniforms, brassline, and drumline. I think their guard is keeping them from climbing. However, what these kids are doing is something they and many of us will never forget. Many people always doubt Spirit, as do the judges. I'm not sure why this is, I think they still have to gain a little more respect from everyone. But, their performance in ATL was unreal. The drumline was very solid, and it's showing in their scores. Wish they could get scored a little higher, because they deserve it. But...whatever happens, I'll still love them

15. Troopers: Ask me last year, I'd say put them in Finals above Spirit. This year, not working for me. I kinda got the Wanted theme, but wasn't too impressed by it. That said, I am appreciating what they've done over the past few years to improve their organization.

14. Colts: Solid show as always. Love the uniforms as I always do. I'd put them close with Academy.

13. The Academy: I'm not bashing them...but I'm wondering how they're getting put above Spirit, Colts, Troopers the past few years. In atlanta, I wasn't very impressed. They are pretty consistent at executing the show they have, but there's no wow factor to it.

12. Glassmen: I kind of appreciated the show theme this year. I wasn't into the show until the end, with the push as I seen it. I still appreciate them as they're consistent with their 10-13 place every year.

11. Madison Scouts: Hands down... :lookaround: One of the best shows of the night. Second or third best in my book. The intro was great, and the ending was even better. I doubted them at the beginning of the season, but now I'm loving what they are producing! Largest standing ovation in Atlanta I'd say.

10. Blue knights: BK has always had weird shows to me, and this kind of added to my thoughts on them. They did have one sick drum solo I must say.

9. Boston Crusaders: Deserving of their top 8-9 spot this year. Well executed and portrayed show!

8. Blue Stars: Didn't care for the show...but the way they execute it is amazing. Hornline is phenomenal and drumline isn't too far behind.

7. SCV: Something has to be done to get SCV back up where they belong. Wasn't impressed by anything really in their show. Their drumline is lacking in cleanliness..and execution throughout the corps wasn't all there.

6. Phantom Regiment: Best entrance and exit I've ever seen. That's all that needs to be said...oh and of course- flawless drumline.

5. Cadets: I understood the show, but it's not working for me. It was a bit elementary school bandish if you will. I understand what they're trying to do the past few years, but none of it has really worked for me.

4. Carolina Crown: Another great show and year for Crown. Loving the powerful hornline. I wish the drumline wouldn't have fell apart like it did, but bad circumstances have lowered their scores.

3. The Cavaliers: Flawless, innovative, and well executed. I loved the theme, loved the guard work, and loved everything about the show. I think it's safe to say the crowd loved them...after their multiple standing ovations, and sound of "boo's" after they announced their placement.

2. Bluecoats: Blooooooooooo! That's about all I can say! Flawless drumline...along with everything else about their show. This show theme is one that actually makes sense, and it's showing. They did a great job of selling it and executing it. Really hope the percussion can win a title this year!

1. Blue Devils: Know ahead of time...I'm not a fan of the show, as many people aren't. However, I have to appreciate the fact of how well the execute it, and how clean they are. All captions have been consistently great all year, with the exception of the drumline losing a few times to Coats and PR. The show was bizarre, and I wonder how they don't trip themselves, or run into the mirrors. No surprise that they win the Atlanta show...and it won't be surprising when they win Finals either.

All age

2. Alliance: I'm loving their approach every year, and considering an audition with them for next year.

1. CorpsVets: Don't know much to say about them...except great job!