Toledo Review

My quickie review of the Toledo Show –

Cascades – is it just me, or is it odd to see corps members milling around and being ‘casual’ prior to demonstrating that they can actually play? I found their pre-show act awful. They played…well, ok – but it sounded as if large segments of the hornline simply stop playing at crucial drill moments. They struck me as the 23rd place corps of the season.

Pacific Crest – a welcome dose of brass and percussive power. I enjoyed their show very much. I’ve seen Bluecoats a few times this year, and found the PC Asphalt very enjoyable, though about as different as can be from the ‘Coats are doing, while still being recognizably the same work.

Pioneer – did you folks do that icky voice over in Massillon, too? I was there, but somehow don’t remember that. It’s really awful – though you play better than Cascades. I sensed a power in your bodies tonight – I think you can tell you’ve got a fine show to perform, and time is running out. I especially appreciate your closer – nice work Pio!

Crossmen – I liked them very much, including the arranging. Yes – I know you old-schoolers out there are filled with memories of First Circle 1.0…but this 2010 show is a great example of fine arranging. It stands on its own merits, and we all do it a disservice by comparing it to Crossmen shows of the past.

Blue Knights – I was relatively underwhelmed by them in Massillon – but they seemed ON FIRE tonight. Excellent performance, with only a few areas of not togetherness and/or indecision. I was far more ‘sold’ on Brahms 1 tonight – you (and SCV) are well served by multiple viewings. And, your guard was eye-popping! I’m a horn geek, and I could not take my eyes off you folks.

SCV – Bartok is a lot better the 2nd time around. I’ll be seeing you on Thursday in a theater – so I’m glad I’ve gotten 2 live performances with your great corps and show. But BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG caveat: you folks are really the epitome of how NOT to use the synthesizers. You double your tubas – what? All the time? Plus – you have an additional button pusher doing nothing but adding awful noise to the speakers, which makes it very difficult to hear the amazing things going on in the drum line and horn line. Synth players – you’re doing a heck-of-a-job, as Bush would say. Synth writers and show designers: well, in the words of Donald Trump: “You’re Fired”.

Glassmen – you do well with this show folks – you really do. My arguments are the same as 6 weeks ago – the drill just looks ragged and unprofessional. It’s the design that is the problem. Tubas – you’re staged behind the back hash quite a bit – and I can hear you (great job…that’s a truly tough task). Mid show there is a ‘power’ moment where the horn line is attempting to impact the audience. However, instead of being arrayed along the front sideline, they’re in a set of columns from the front sideline (trumpets and mellos…) all the way to the back sideline (euphs and tubas) – predictably, the audience hears much from the people in front, and less and less from the rest of the horn line as they get further and further from the audience. Your kids work their tails off to accomplish this…but you’ve written for them an impossible task. Bad drill – give your kids a chance…

Great crowd – looked sold out to me…which is good news, as I’m sure the Glassmen need the money (they are the sponsoring group, right?).

A general complaint: they ran the pre-show music through the PA speakers. That was VERY strange…as one is used to listening forward for the music, but instead it was coming from behind…and forward. I really hated that…but I think it was just an oversight –

Overall: great show – and enjoyed by all in attendance.