Cleaning Chimes?

friceox

Hey all, I badly need to clean the orchestral chimes at the school I tech at. The chime notes are just starting to really get grimey (no rust, just grime).

What's best to clean them with? Cymbal Cleaner?

Also, the magical website that starts with a G and ends with OOGLE gave me no results, except for how to clean "outdoor wind chimes" like what you'd see hanging on someone's front porch. It says to spray on wd-40, let it stand for a few minutes, then polish it off.

Anyone?

What is the finish on the chimes? If it's chrome, there are several good chrome cleaners available at automotive stores. Mother's is a good one, but there are many others.

They're chrome. I'll check out Mother's if the cymbal cleaner I use (Paiste, IMHO the best cleaner on the market) doesn't do a good job.

They're chrome. I'll check out Mother's if the cymbal cleaner I use (Paiste, IMHO the best cleaner on the market) doesn't do a good job.

If they're chrome, how about just a little soap and water? BITD when bugles were chrome plated, we would use Windex or just a wet rag.

Soap and water "works" but it wouldn't get the crud off the notes (from kids putting their sweaty hands all over the chimes).

I used Paiste cymbal cleaner (the best) on a note, and it looks brand freaking new.

I plan on scheduling a chime cleaning session tomorrow at band camp. I have SEVENTEEN in the front ensemble, so it should go by REALLY fast.

Soap and water "works" but it wouldn't get the crud off the notes (from kids putting their sweaty hands all over the chimes).

I used Paiste cymbal cleaner (the best) on a note, and it looks brand freaking new.

I plan on scheduling a chime cleaning session tomorrow at band camp. I have SEVENTEEN in the front ensemble, so it should go by REALLY fast.

And it will give 'em something to do besides throw mallets at each other while the rest of the band figures out which left foot is the real one. :tongue:

Wow, I usually worry about cleaning my snares. I never had to worry about cleaning chimes!

badum ching

It's amazing how much louder the chimes were after I cleaned em.

The fun thing, was making them play a mallett exercise continuously, until I had cleaned EVERY SINGLE NOTE!

I plan on doing the same tomorrow while I clean the crotales, however that'll probably only take 5 minutes.