ISOs

Patrick_D

Ahhh. Now I see your problem. You would rather not endorse a company that is renting crap, but don't want to exclude them if the instruments, overall, are acceptable student models. I sincerely doubt that these are being made in New Jersey. More likely, they are coming out of the shipping container in New Jersey. I'd ask for local musician or teacher references who can be contacted to verify the endorsement or level of satisfaction. Keep in mind that even the best student model instruments will vary in performance from item to item.

I just checked the rsberkeley website. I personally know some of the endorsers, all of whom are sax players, and they are listed under the Virtuoso line of saxes. I may see some of them over the weekend or on Monday night. I'll ask the hard question - "What do you think of the student model instruments?" Will report back on Tuesday.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! I personally didn't like the trombone or flute... but have not seen their saxes.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! I personally didn't like the trombone or flute... but have not seen their saxes.

UPDATE:

I talked to Yunie Mojica last night. Yunie studied with Jackie McLean, his son Rene and with Jimmy Greene while at Hartt and recently completed an internship with Jazz at Lincoln Center. She told me that the Virtuoso line of saxes is excellent. I asked her about the student models and she didn't know much about them. She promised to check out the student saxes the next time she is there. I might see a couple of other endorsers on Monday. (Yeah, I hear a lot of live jazz. All in Hartford, believe it or not.) Steve Davis is leading a group at Black Eyed Sally's this week.

Edited by G-horns

UPDATE:

I talked to Yunie Mojica last night. Yunie studied with Jackie McLean, his son Rene and with Jimmy Greene while at Hartt and recently completed an internship with Jazz at Lincoln Center. She told me that the Virtuoso line of saxes is excellent. I asked her about the student models and she didn't know much about them. She promised to check out the student saxes the next time she is there. I might see a couple of other endorsers on Monday. (Yeah, I hear a lot of live jazz. All in Hartford, believe it or not.) Steve Davis is leading a group at Black Eyed Sally's this week.

FINAL UPDATE:

I was able to talk to a very reputable instrument repairman over the weekend. He recommended staying away from the Berkeley student model instruments. He gets a fair number of them in his shop. Unfortunately, I didn't see any other of the listed sax endorsers over the weekend so Yunie's opinion is the only one available. I'm guessing that the endorsers of the sax line are just endorsing that line and nothing else. I wish I could offer more, but I think you get the picture.

FINAL UPDATE:

I was able to talk to a very reputable instrument repairman over the weekend. He recommended staying away from the Berkeley student model instruments. He gets a fair number of them in his shop. Unfortunately, I didn't see any other of the listed sax endorsers over the weekend so Yunie's opinion is the only one available. I'm guessing that the endorsers of the sax line are just endorsing that line and nothing else. I wish I could offer more, but I think you get the picture.

Thank you for the help! I think we nipped the problem before it became a huge issue, although I do still have 4 kids on berkeley student instruments. The trombone is built like a tank, but plays like one too. The trumpet is much like the trombone, the sax has annoying raised parts that make it hard to use palm keys, and the flute is just plain hard to play.

Again, thanks for your time!

Thank you for the help! I think we nipped the problem before it became a huge issue, although I do still have 4 kids on berkeley student instruments. The trombone is built like a tank, but plays like one too. The trumpet is much like the trombone, the sax has annoying raised parts that make it hard to use palm keys, and the flute is just plain hard to play.

Again, thanks for your time!

Hey, my pleasure.